The Pecker Dunne/ Damo

Started by Asal Mor, September 25, 2008, 11:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Just watching some clips of The Pecker on youtube. I can't believe I've never heard this music before now. It's really moving stuff - Sullivan's John, t**ker's Lullaby, Portlaoise Jail etc. - these songs are classics. I only came across them because of Damien Dempsey's brilliant new album "The Rocky Road". Makes you so proud to be Irish when you listen to this music which has been forgotten for far too long. Fair play to Damo for bringing it to a new generation. I've been to see him 3 times live and he lifts the roof off - singing it loud and saying it exactly as he sees it in a thick dublin accent - listen to songs like colony, patience and serious, and see what you think. IMO he's the best thing in music today.

Other Irish songs I've come across recently that are unbelievably good are "The Foggy Dew" - Sinead O Connor's version is my favourite, and "The Contender" sang by Christy Moore. That one was written by Jimmy McCarthy about his fellow Corkman Jack Doyle, the great boxing talent and singer nicknamed "The Gorgeous Gael", who sadly became a chronic alcoholic and died penniless and homeless in London.

downredblack

Agreed , The Rocky Road is a fine album .Sullivan John would be my Fav.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=c9FivRRUjQg

Donagh

Used to love listening to the Pecker Dunne at the fleadhs years ago. Last I heard of him he was seriously ill in a hospice around Limerick. Anyone know if that's still the case?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Asal Mor on September 25, 2008, 11:16:48 PM
Other Irish songs I've come across recently that are unbelievably good are "The Foggy Dew" - Sinead O Connor's version is my favourite, and "The Contender" sang by Christy Moore. That one was written by Jimmy McCarthy about his fellow Corkman Jack Doyle, the great boxing talent and singer nicknamed "The Gorgeous Gael", who sadly became a chronic alcoholic and died penniless and homeless in London.

your welcome to the board Asal mor there was a programme on rte a few months ago about jack doyle jesus he had it all going for him and threw it all way very sad
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Feckitt

I have asked this question on this board before, but apart from Colm Sands on Radio Uladh are there any radio shows that cater for good folk music like Pecker Dunne, Dubliners, Christy, and any new folk music such as the Bould Damo.

Feckitt

I'll take that as a NO!
Bloody disgrace.  Turn on any local station in Ireland, and you can get enough Country & Irish to last you a lifetime, but good Irish Folk music is not catered for at all!

As for the previous poster who said that Pecker was in a hospice.  As far as I know he is alive and well and living in Cork.

Bud Wiser

I used to play music if thats what youd call it with the Pecker (and a lad called Nasher from Limerick) in McDaids years ago.  One night we all got fcuked out of the Foggy Dew off Dame Street by a special branch owner for begging drink off the customers!
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"