10 years ago - Tyrone Minors 1998

Started by ONeill, September 24, 2008, 08:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

This Saturday, 27th, is the 10-year anniversary of the great minor side of 1998.

P. McConnell,
G. Devlin, M. McGee, F. Loughran,
C. Meenagh, D. O'Hanlon, P. O'Neill,
K. Hughes, C. McAnallen,
G. Wylie, M. Hughes, S. O'Neill,
A. Lynch, E. McGinley, E. Mulligan.
Subs: R. O'Neill, B. McGuigan

(bold - played on Sunday, italics - started in other Senior All-Ireland winning sides)

How does it compare to the progression of other All-Ireland winning minor sides.

Kerry minors  in 1975 = C. Nelligan, V. O'Connor, M. O'Sullivan, M. Colgan, J.J. O'Connor, M. Spillane, G. Casey, S. Walsh, N. O'Donovan, F. Scannell, J. Mulvihill, R. Bunyan, C. O'Connor, J. O'Shea, P. Sheehan

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

youngfella

I love great obsevation o'neill. If only all counties looked after its youth this way.
Pull hard and early

screenexile

Yes it is! Ciaran Meenagh PE Teacher of Ballinascreen.

Derry had 2 decent minor sides that had seniors progress to All Ireland medals...

1983 Minor Side: D Kelly, P O'Donnell, P Bradley, J McGurk, R Conway, B Kealy, N Mullan, P Young, C Barton, C McNicholl, D McNicholl, E McElhinny, E Lynch, D Cassidy, Tony McKiernan.

1989 Minor Side: M O'Connor, J Martin, P McAllister, G Simpson, B McGonigle, G Coleman, R Skelly, J Mulholland, A Tohill, R McEldowney, J Lynn, E Burns, E O'Kane, D Heaney, D Bateson. Subs - K Diamond for Martin, R Murphy for Lynn, J O'Connor for E O'Kane.

All in bold were in the '93 All Ireland winning panel!

tyrone86

Let it not be forgotten that Phillip Jordan was a sub on this side and couldn't get a game!

rrhf

I know they won the big one that year O Neill but I think 97 was the "big bang" year for that group of players.

orangeman

Quote from: hardstation on September 24, 2008, 10:17:19 PM
What's the story with Horse Devlin? Any chance of a return?P O'Neill - Any chance of a return, since he retired from signing republican dockets? Or did he move to Cork?
Is that the Ciaran Meenagh that played/plays liathroid laimhe?
Is that the G Wylie that plays pool around the 'Island?

Not playing club football even ! Training Newbridge in Derry.

Gavin is playing senior football with Ardboe.

imtommygunn

I thought Conor Gormley was a minor in 98 - was he just 97?

Over the Bar

O'Neill,

Who was the minor team  that started in 1997?

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on September 24, 2008, 08:59:46 PM
This Saturday, 27th, is the 10-year anniversary of the great minor side of 1998.

That's an Omen then. This Saturday will mark the start of the next generation of footballers in Tyrone.
Testing Accessibility

tieroan

Tommy, Connor Gormley never played minors. He was infact on the Tyrone senior squad before he was picked by Mickey for the U21s. Ricey never played minor football either. This is the 1 problem I can see with the introduction of development squads, that we are missing a certain percentage of our talented players. Ah well, it sems to be working.

tyrone86

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 25, 2008, 09:48:29 AM
I thought Conor Gormley was a minor in 98 - was he just 97?

Didn't make it until U21's in 2001. I think 01 was his first year on both Under 21 and Senior panels.

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 25, 2008, 10:09:37 AM
O'Neill,

Who was the minor team  that started in 1997?

Off the top of my head the team that started the All Ireland final - I can be open to correction

1. G Maguire Cookstown
2. K O'Brien Dromore
3. C Gourley Rock
4. B Donnelly Eglish
5. A Ball Clann na Gael
6. D McCrossan Owen Roes
7. G Hetherington Donaghmore
8. K Hughes Killeeshil
9. C McAnallen Eglish
10. J Campbell Dromore
11. B McGuigan Ardboe
12. C Martin Eglish
13. M Harte Errigal
14. R Thornton Coalisland
15. S O'Neill Clann na Gael

supersarsfields

Deccie McCrossan would have been a useful boy on Sunday,  Would have been some beard!!

Fear Boirche

I see there's a piece with Donal McAnallen in the Irish News today where he talks about the 98 team. Goes without saying, but Cormac would certainly have gone on to enjoy the same success with the seniors. Nice picture of him, Hughes and McGuigan

The Real Laoislad

What depresses me about that is Laois beat Tyrone in the '96 and '97 All Ireland Final and we also reached the '98 final where Tyrone beat us...
Amazing the difference in fortunes of the Tyrone lads over the next ten years compared to Laois,considering we were as good if not better than them back then,well for two of the 3 finals we were better anyways  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

You beat us just in the '97, not both. We returned the favour in '98.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.