Bankrupt business-I lose out!!

Started by D4S, September 24, 2008, 05:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D4S

Kick in the teeth today and need to write down my anger as I'm F**king pissed off bigtime!
Getting married next week, bought expensive table & chairs (£760 including delivery) from Manor Interiors in Boucher Road retail park a few months back.  Delivery was arranged only at the start of this month for yesterday!  Didn't show up yesterday we rang all afternoon with no answer.  Same thing this morning so I rang business next door and they informed me that it was closed down last Thursday and sent into liquidation!

Rang the accountant dealing with it and they weren't overly helpful as much as said don't be holding out much hope as suppliers have to be paid first and took my name address and telephone number, and to send on our proof of purchase!  The really annoying thing is, that I know our table&chairs is probably sitting in the store room with our name on it, and we have paid for it in full and we can't and probably won't get it!  I know this isn't the end of the world and I'm trying to say that to my wife to be, would be far worse if the hotel shutdown or something, but just a bit aggravating a week before when we have other things to be doing and you plan on having your house perfect!  She spoke to the accountant at her workplace and he said to land down to the accountant that's dealing with it, and say we have a right to go and point out our goods and take them if we have proof of purchase, but when I asked the girl at firm in Befast she said they didn't have the keys!!

Has anyone any similar experiences, or can they offer any further advice?
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

red hander

Did you pay by credit card?  If you did then I think you'll be OK re: getting your money back. It's still a ballix, though

D4S

Na mate, I've been asked that a few times today but was never told that before about being safe if its a credit card.  Was paid for by a debit card which supposedly means you aren't insured!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

youngfella

Do you know were the storeroom ? I'd imagine security will be a bit lax...
Pull hard and early

D4S

Hmmmmmmmm!  It has already been considered believe me but the risk of getting a criminal record the week before getting married doesn't appeal!  Would you take your van up youngfella and maybe get it for me???

Bomber

Quote from: D4S on September 24, 2008, 05:50:09 PM
Hmmmmmmmm!  It has already been considered believe me but the risk of getting a criminal record the week before getting married doesn't appeal!  Would you take your van up youngfella and maybe get it for me???

I am sure youngfella would do it for you D45 but you might have to slip something under the TABLE first.

Be brave when your doing it youngfella, it'll be a CHAIR raising experience.  :'(

D4S

Anybody with any serious advice don't think I'll be getting youngfella to help me out!

snatter

was it a visa debit card? If so, I think there's some limited protection.

Rois

Quote from: youngfella on September 24, 2008, 05:45:17 PM
Do you know were the storeroom ? I'd imagine security will be a bit lax...

Nah, I've worked in a few liquidation cases and security is one of the key intial issues if it's in a statutory process, the place will be well locked up and/or manned, especially when it's consumer goods.  

The accountant in your wife (to be)'s workplace is probably wrong too.  It doesn't necessarily follow that you can go and take the goods.  

The company probably haven't paid for the stock themselves, and if that's the case, the supplier probably has a retention of title clause in their conditions of sale whereby the goods remain their property until paid for.  That's all above board and legal and I would imagine is the case in this instance.  

Unfortunately you rank at the bottom of the queue and depending on the state of the company, might get a few pence in the pound.  It's a hateful situation and it's not the liquidator's fault, it's the management who knew that the company was in trouble and traded on anyway.  I have such sympathy for you cause I've had lots of experience with unhappy creditors.

Rois

Oh and if it's Visa Debit, you do have some cover. 

D4S

I have a feckin Visa Debit but I didnt use it.  It was paid for with her Maestro card which is the debit card that Northern Bank use.  Would that make a difference?  Thanks for the response Rois!

D4S

Sorry the other thing is the goods were bought in full approx 5/6 months ago, we didnt get it delivered before now as we were doing a lot of work to the house and they said no problem to keep it in storage!  Would they not have paid the supplier then for this months ago? If that is the case should we not be entitled to it?

Bensars

Sorry to hear the bad news D4S. Hard lesson to learn. Always use the credit card for holidays as well even though they may be well in advance. (especially now with so many going to the wall. Use credit card and pay off straight away.

pintsofguinness

Sorry to hear that D4S.

Similar thing has happened to a friend of mine.  Due to get married next year and had the cars booked and paid for - 400 quid.
They got a letter last week from the daughter of the owner of the company they'd booked with.  In the letter she introduced herself, said her father's company was bankrupt (the 400 quid gone), she was opening up her own company, they couldn't have their money back but if they wished they could pay her another 400 quid and their reservation would be kept
:o
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

youngfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 24, 2008, 08:39:29 PM
Sorry to hear that D4S.

Similar thing has happened to a friend of mine.  Due to get married next year and had the cars booked and paid for - 400 quid.
They got a letter last week from the daughter of the owner of the company they'd booked with.  In the letter she introduced herself, said her father's company was bankrupt (the 400 quid gone), she was opening up her own company, they couldn't have their money back but if they wished they could pay her another 400 quid and their reservation would be kept
:o

the cheek of some people.
Pull hard and early