Bankrupt business-I lose out!!

Started by D4S, September 24, 2008, 05:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Oh but I forgot the best bit - they called up the accountants/people who are dealing with the bankruptcy to ask what the chances were of getting the money back and were basically told none as there were even employees who hadn't been paid since April!!
wtf?
Who works from April to September without being paid!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

youngfella

Pull hard and early

Pangurban

IF goods paid for in full they are legally your property, and can not be resold to clear firms debts, go and demand them

Bogball XV

Quote from: Pangurban on September 24, 2008, 10:01:21 PM
IF goods paid for in full they are legally your property, and can not be resold to clear firms debts, go and demand them
But Rois's point was that the item may never have been the vendor's to sell in the first place as the supplier may have had a retention of title clause when supplying them, the issue then would be whether or not this item was specifically paid for - which, given the time span, they might have.  I think it's worth looking into that side of things in more depth, Rois may be able to guide you some more on this.

stephenite

Must be a strong temptation to burn the place to the ground, if I didn't get what i paid for or get my money back why should any fcuker

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Rois on September 24, 2008, 06:47:37 PM
it's not the liquidator's fault

Offer to administrate the liquidation yourself, thereby elevating your interests to #1 in the cash flow waterfall, and in addition to a healthy fee, request a nice table from which to manage the value-sapping, malignant task.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Rois

I guess if you can prove specifically that what you ordered has been paid for, right down to the item number matching the product on the invoice, then you should be able to claim as it is your property held on other premises.  Were you informed that what you had ordered was in the warehouse?  Definately definately follow up with the liquidator - call down and speak to them if they're still onsite.

You'd be surprised at how much credit people will extend - the supplier may have enforced the liquidation because so much money was owed.

In your case Pints, I wonder if the employee in question was a relative of the owner.  We often come across employees who are related to the owner.  They then claim for payment for lost wages from the national insurance fund, plus holiday pay and lost redundancy pay from the redundancy payments service.  And they were probably carrying out some function such as "bookkeeper" or "administrator".  My initial guess is the wife.

And unfortunately you can't offer to liquidate yourself as you have to be a licenced insolvency practitioner.  And fees are tightly controlled by the government.  The "cash flow waterfall" starts with secured creditors such as banks.

Make sure your details are in there with the liquidator so that you're kept aware

Onion Bag

f**k i would go mad, i would be finding it hard not to go down and batter some bastard, lift my gear and go home,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

D4S

Cheers lads for the feedback! Here's the latest!

Went down this mornign for 9am to the accountancy firm dealing with the receivership.  Brought the detailed receipt which my fiancee found last night and the debit card receipt.  The receipt listed the model number full description of goods, was stated on it paid in full on Sunday April 6th, and the staff member signed their name to it.  We also went online and looked up the manufacturer and we were able to print off an exact photo of the goods (fairly unique-round table with glass top and three big chunky wooden legs with 6 dark brown leather chairs).  Gave all of that to the accountant and she was very helpful.  SHe said they are trying to get it dealt with quickly and the manager is due to come to the store at the beginning of the week and go through a detailed list of which goods have been paid for in full.  Told us to ring on Tuesday and hopefully she would have good news for us.  Told her we're off on honeymoon the week after next and could she deal with ours as a priority and she said she would and was genuine.  However she did say she would not be surprised if it isnt even there, as in recent weeks when they were in trouble they could have sold it again.  We'll wait and see now until Tuesday as we've a full weekend of partying to do this weekend!   Anyone with any other tips or similar experiences let me know as this isn't resolved just that we have a wee bit more hope than yesterday!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Goats Do Shave

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 24, 2008, 08:39:29 PM
Similar thing has happened to a friend of mine. 

You have a friend ?  :o A real life person, not an internet persona, not someone you read about in a magazine, you actually have a friend???

delboy

First off sorry to hear about the problems you are having, hope you get sorted.

Manor interiors what a shit company, im not surprised they went bust. I had dealings with them about a year ago bought some bedroom furniture. Paid for it but had a devil of a time getting them to deliver, was sick ringing the tossers. When the stuff finally came some of it was damaged and had to be sent back. They didn't have replacements but let own they would refund the money on the damaged goods.....lots of phone calls and no money, had to threaten them with the office of fair whaty you my call it.

In the end we door stepped them one saturday and refused to leave until we at least got either or money back or some differnet furniture, the woman we were dealing with finally cracked and told us that the only chance we had was to get some other furniture and it was company/the bosses policy to just keep stringing people along till they gave up. At this point i nearly felt sorry for the silly cow, to top it off the slimey salesman that sold it in the first place was dandering about the shop pissed  :o what a way to run a business.
Took about another 6 weeks and lots of phone calls to get the furniture but we did get there in the end, vowed never to buy anything again from them (looks like that won't be a problem now).

D4S

We had no indication of this which is the annoying thing!

When we went to the shop and viewd their stuff we thought it was a great shop looked like real nice quality stuff!  Even couple of weeks ago when delivery was planned they gave no indication of any problem and took phobne number to ring on day of delivery...bollixes probably knew rightly we weren't going to get it!  Ah well as I said before could be something much worse and I'll not worry about it again until we hear what the story is Tuesday!  Thanks for replies
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

delboy

I totally understand where you are coming from, the showroom looks the part and the furniture is actually really very good. In fact i think i know the table you are talking about (looked a lovely bit of furniture) it was stuck in the window when i happened to walk past the place a few saturdays ago (was getting something to eat in the wee greasy spoon next to it).

pintsofguinness

QuoteSHe said they are trying to get it dealt with quickly and the manager is due to come to the store at the beginning of the week and go through a detailed list of which goods have been paid for in full.  Told us to ring on Tuesday and hopefully she would have good news for us.  Told her we're off on honeymoon the week after next and could she deal with ours as a priority and she said she would and was genuine.  However she did say she would not be surprised if it isnt even there, as in recent weeks when they were in trouble they could have sold it again.
:o

Isn't it time there was some sort of repercussions for this sort of shite.  Seems to me that people that being made bankrupt is becoming an easy way out. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?