Sam Maguire / Anglo Celt

Started by sammymaguire, September 23, 2008, 01:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

Bit of a sticky issue, but in a strange way, I think we could say that its harder now to win the Anglo Celt up in Ulster than it is to win Sam, even though Armagh have recently won the handiest ever Ulster title they will ever win by defeating a poor Cavan team, a Down team that simply did not show up for their S-F and a Fermanagh team that got stage fright and then couldn't kick over 21 yard frees...

With 5 teams from 8 in the All-Ireland Q-F's, although many imploded at that point, I feel that Ulster football is as strong as ever in 2008
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

heineken_on_tap

I have no doubt Ulster is currently the most competive province. But realistically other than Tyrone which other Ulster team could of claimed SAM this year?

Personally I would make a case for Monaghan but to be honest I dont think they had what it takes to go the whole way this year. Donegal, Armagh, Fermanagh at this moment in time do not have what is takes to claim SAM either............no doubt they can win Ulster alright, So then how can it be harder to win SAM :o

Gnevin

Quote from: sammymaguire on September 23, 2008, 01:41:29 PM

Bit of a sticky issue, but in a strange way, I think we could say that its harder now to win the Anglo Celt up in Ulster than it is to win Sam, even though Armagh have recently won the handiest ever Ulster title they will ever win by defeating a poor Cavan team, a Down team that simply did not show up for their S-F and a Fermanagh team that got stage fright and then couldn't kick over 21 yard frees...

With 5 teams from 8 in the All-Ireland Q-F's, although many imploded at that point, I feel that Ulster football is as strong as ever in 2008

Ulster is the strongest province but was stronger in 2001-2005 period with the Armagh and Tyrone both being real contenders and winning All-Irelands.
I feel that Monaghan is probably now the 2nd favourite team in Ulster to lift Sam but are well off it basically at the same level as Dublin.

The real question is which is worse Leinster or Connaught  ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

sammymaguire

I think a case could be made for Monaghan, Derry, Armagh, Donegal and obviously Tyrone, Fermanagh and Down have not got the strength in depth and I think if any of the forementioned teams had the management of Mickey Harte and his crew there is no reason why they could not make a push to go the whole way. The other provinces do not have the same competitve edge, look at Dublin's downfall when they leave Leinster
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The GAA

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on September 23, 2008, 02:03:49 PM
I have no doubt Ulster is currently the most competive province. But realistically other than Tyrone which other Ulster team could of claimed SAM this year?

Personally I would make a case for Monaghan but to be honest I dont think they had what it takes to go the whole way this year. Donegal, Armagh, Fermanagh at this moment in time do not have what is takes to claim SAM either............no doubt they can win Ulster alright, So then how can it be harder to win SAM :o

Armagh would have beaten dublin in a similar manner to tyrone. if they'd not gone to sleep against wexford it'd have been some semi with tyrone.

Gnevin

Quote from: The GAA on September 23, 2008, 02:13:29 PM

Armagh would have beaten dublin in a similar manner to tyrone. if they'd not gone to sleep against wexford it'd have been some semi with tyrone.
Very doubtful , that Armagh team looks tired and lacking idea's. Armagh never really looked comfortible in that game and i don't think i was a matter of them going too sleep.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

heineken_on_tap

I don't think you are giving enough credit to Wexford there in fairness The GAA.. Ultimatly Tyrone would of beaten Armagh, going by your logic!

The GAA

I think that analysis of armagh is fairly lazy lads. armagh were far superior to wexford on that day but missed a glut of scoring chances and fell to a sucker punch goal.

I wouldn't have put much money on armagh (who'd have been going into the game as ulster champs and unbeaten) losing to tyrone. fellow ulstr teams have a better understanding of how to deal with the tyrone gameplan than dublin, kerry, etc.

heineken_on_tap

Sure it is all if, buts and maybes at this stage. Ultimately Armagh were not good enough this year.

orangeman

The GAA

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on September 23, 2008, 02:48:35 PM
Sure it is all if, buts and maybes at this stage. Ultimately Armagh were not good enough this year.

bit like this:

where you began the hypothesising?

imtommygunn

Ulster is definitely the tightest province but not necessarily the strongest. It has more teams on a par but I think that's it.

Tyrone stand out with Monaghan and Armagh probably the next best two then Fermanagh, Derry , Donegal/Down, Cavan, Antrim.

Cork would best anything in Ulster except Tyrone as would Mayo and probably Galway. Wexford did and Dublin would too.

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: The GAA on September 23, 2008, 03:11:39 PM
Quote from: heineken_on_tap on September 23, 2008, 02:48:35 PM

bit like this:

where you began the hypothesising?

Not really because you are saying IF Armagh had beaten Wexford then they would of beaten Dublin. I dont see any basis for that assumption. My point is in reply to sammy maguire that it is harder to win Ulster than SAM, I wouldn't agree with that. Armagh won Ulster but were not good enough to go the whole way. That is fact.

The GAA

No, it's there in black and white - you said that despite the strength of the province no other ulster team could have won sam.

i don't see any basis for that assumption

ildanach

i think on any given day most of the top 10 teams in the country can beat each other. Apart from the curse that kerry have on us in mayo and the one that tyrone have on kerry in finals.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.