1 (0.5%)
Dublin
3 (1.5%)
Mayo
15 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 198

his holiness nb

Quote from: Puckoon on September 23, 2008, 04:53:54 PM

I feel like you arent listening, which is frustrating.

Have you even looked at the statistics? You spoke about leagues 2 posts ago - and I showed you the league statistics... :-\

I am not claiming Tyrone are the team of the decade. I never said that we were, nor will I concede that we are not. It is, as I said, neck and neck.

2 leagues each. 3 AI's each (in the proper time frame of the decade). Kerry have yet to beat Tyrone.

I am listening, Kerry have 4 this decade, dont tell me the year 2000 was in the 90's!  ;)

I'll give you this, you are now a close second.
Ask me holy bollix

Zapatista

What are we trying to find out here? Can some one be clear on the question please?

Are we looking for the team of the decade as you would look for a man of the match? For example the man of the match might not score any points? He might just drive the team to levels above their expectancy. There would be no official record on paper saying the player achieved X Y and Z but everyone would know he was the MOTM.

Or are we looking for the team of the decade as in those with the most medals? For example the person who scores the most in a game ending with his team winning the match and having the solid proof of his contribution on the scoreboard?

I think there are two different questions being answered here.

his holiness nb

Jaysus Zaptista, its getting complicated enough without that  ;)

One thing I will say to Tyrone fans.

As I Dub I'd dearly love to be regarded as close second to Kerry in a team of the decade debate  :'(
Ask me holy bollix

Zapatista

Just be glad Fermanagh didn't beat Armagh or they would be contender too HH ;)

Hardy

If you want to be team of the decade you're missing the point. Tyrone people probably need a bit of practice in being multiple champions and perennial contenders. You don't need constant approval and reassurance. You've arrived at the top table - wear the mantle with ease and assurance and not giving a damn what the rest of the country thinks should gradually become the norm.  It's winning All-Irelands that matters and you don't get anything for being team of the week, month, year or decade. I haven't read back through the thread, but I bet there are not many Kerry posters wondering if they're team of the decade.

KERRYMAD

GOOD ON YOU HARDY.

I KNOW THE CHAMPIONSHIP YEAR IS UP AND THERE IS LITTLE TO DISCUSS UNTIL THE OZZIE RULES OR LEAGUE RESUMPTION BUT TEAM OF THE DECADE COME ON AT LEAST LET THE DECADE ELAPSE LADS. ::)

Zapatista

It is silly meaningless beer talk which I don't think anyone will take to seriously.

Well said Hardy.

Kerrymad, CAPSLOCK. Cheers.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Hardy on September 23, 2008, 05:44:14 PM
but I bet there are not many Kerry posters wondering if they're team of the decade.

Actually there are plenty on the Kerry GAA forum.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Zapatista on September 23, 2008, 05:31:49 PM
What are we trying to find out here? Can some one be clear on the question please?

Are we looking for the team of the decade as you would look for a man of the match? For example the man of the match might not score any points? He might just drive the team to levels above their expectancy. There would be no official record on paper saying the player achieved X Y and Z but everyone would know he was the MOTM.

Or are we looking for the team of the decade as in those with the most medals? For example the person who scores the most in a game ending with his team winning the match and having the solid proof of his contribution on the scoreboard?

I agree. There are so many ways of looking at this. First you could say its Kerry because they won more. Second you could say its Tyrone because they beat Kerry 3 times. However its not as simple as that, because the Tyrone team of 2003 was different to that of 2008. You could say that the Kerry team of 2006 were really great as they hammered Mayo and could also say that the Armagh team of 2002 was the best. Its all pretty subjective.  
Careful now

Bensars

Agree 100 % hardy. Thats something for journalists to fill pages on the quiet weeks. A few more sams would be better than any meaningless catchphrases.

bcarrier

Crossmaglen -  a shocking ommission from this poll.

Zapatista

Quote from: bcarrier on September 23, 2008, 06:04:21 PM
Crossmaglen -  a shocking ommission from this poll.

I thought they were decomissioned?

gorm agus bui

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 23, 2008, 06:01:23 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on September 23, 2008, 05:31:49 PM

I
I agree. There are so many ways of looking at this. First you could say its Kerry because they won more. Second you could say its Tyrone because they beat Kerry 3 times. However its not as simple as that, because the Tyrone team of 2003 was different to that of 2008. You could say that the Kerry team of 2006 were really great as they hammered Mayo and could also say that the Armagh team of 2002 was the best. Its all pretty subjective.  
think there umpteen ways of looking at this. Team of the Decade could be any one team in any given year who may have won NL & AIF but who may bear no resemblance to a team from the same county who win AIF several years later. Kerry may have won in 2000 & 2007 but very different teams.
County of the decade would be a very different proposition.
In this regard I would imagine that Tyrone have no peers with the way they have brought themselves to the top table and have also put in place the structures and personnel to ensure that they will remain there for a long time.

Tyrone Dreamer

I might be slightly biased but there is no doubt in my mind that Tyrone are the best team this decade. As I said before Kerry have been the most consistent team of the decade but not the best. When the teams have met head to head Tyrone have won by at least 3 points in each match. In both 2005 and 2008 Kerry were extremely motivated to beat Tyrone after the previous defeat(s) but simply werent good enough. It also has to be remembered the challenges Tyrone faced in 2004,2006 and 2007 which made it extremely difficult to win an All Ireland. In 2006 and 2007 Tyrone were missing up to 10 players from the panel to injury at times entering games. These included the likes of Dooher,McGuigan,Stephen O'Neill,Mulliigan etc. This is the 1st year since 2005 that the key players have been available and Tyrone once again got the title.

puskas

Tyrone for me. For all the talk about 4 All-Irelands to 3, if you apply the "deep down" test, I suspect that Kerrymen in their guts will know that when the hard questions were asked they failed to find the answers in the decade-defining games.

Tyrone have had only one crushing defeat, Sligo 2002, comparable to Kerry's collection of Meath 2001, Armagh 2002, Tyrone 2003, Tyrone 2005, and arguably Tyrone 2008 too.  Too many seminal failures to be a team of the decade. They passed the Armagh test in 2006, the real All-ireland Final that year, so I wouldn't call that year's All-Ireland a soft one despite the Mayo capitulation/demolition job in the final, but there will always be question marks over 2004 (the other contender Armagh failing to make the final) and 2007 (when there was no other serious contender).

You can't be a team of the decade if you have a monkey on the back. Kerry have one, Tyrone don't.

Were Kerry to beat Tyrone on their way to the All-Ireland in the last year of the decade however..