1 (0.5%)
Dublin
3 (1.5%)
Mayo
15 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 198

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: puskas on September 24, 2008, 12:04:51 AM
Kerry's All-Ireland in 2000 is worth 2 as they beat Armagh in the semis who would surely have beaten Galway in the final

Really?

Galway and Armagh played each other in 2001 and Galway won. Why would Armagh have beaten them with such ease in 2000?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: puskas on September 24, 2008, 01:32:46 AM
Quote from: Seamus on September 24, 2008, 12:52:59 AM
First of all congrats to Tyrone, deserved winners, well done especially to the great Tyrone fans I met before, during and after the game. Their graciousness in victory eased the pain.

I have no interest in getting into the debate of team of the decade, it seems so irrelevant. I do have a question for puskas, outside of Kerry has any other team in the history of the GAA won a soft All Ireland?   

Galway's 98 had a softness about it, Kerry still ordinary (soft AI in 97), a knackered Derry side followed by Kildare a nice team to meet in your first All-Ireland final in a while, not a traditional intimidating powerhouse at their peak of their powers lacking belief.

More absolute bollocks.

Galway in 98 had to beat a Mayo team in Castlebar that had contested the last two All-Ireland finals and should have won one of them. They had to go to a replay with Roscommon who had a pretty good side back then. They handily beat Derry in the AI semi-finals and we all know how fantastic Ulster football is. And they beat a Kildare team at the peak of their powers who had already beaten Meath and Kerry (the two sides who had won the last two All-Ireland's) that Summer and were hot favourites to win the All-Ireland.

You may as well say every AI title is soft in that case.

magickingdom

to quote from an american election "its the economy s..." here "its the medals s..." kerry have 4 ai if tyrone win next year they will have 4 and it will be a draw.

DUBSFORSAM1

To be honest the fact Tyrone have won 2 of their 3 All-Irelands coming through the backdoor is enough to go with the 4 v's 3 arguement to ensure they can't be ranked the top team...

David McKeown

Apologies if this has been mentioned but have tyrone ever put more than two quarter final or better years back to back? I know they did on 02/03 and 07/08.  Have I missed any?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

ONeill

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 24, 2008, 10:33:17 PM
Just a point I have always believed the decade ran from 2001 until 2010.

2001 Galway
2002 Armagh
2003 Tyrone
2004 Kerry
2005 Tyrone
2006 Kerry
2007 Kerry
2008 Tyrone
2009 ?
2010 ?

Still 2 years to be considered before any team of the decade can be determined.

Eh? so you're saying that 1980 wasn't in the 80s but in the 70s? That 1990 was in the 80s? So if I ask you when you were born and you replied 'in the late 40s' and I asked when exactly and you said '1950', I should walk away nodding contentedly.

Catch youself on TYP. I honestly thing you should reconsider your future before you are hit with the same affliction that is ravishing SS2. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrone Dreamer

Didnt get to quarters in 02 - Sligo beat us in last 12. Did get there in 03/04/05, with Mayo beating us in 04.

ONeill

What has the millenium got to do with the decade?

Again, TYP, stop before we call in the men.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

David McKeown

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on September 24, 2008, 10:40:18 PM
Didnt get to quarters in 02 - Sligo beat us in last 12. Did get there in 03/04/05, with Mayo beating us in 04.

Cheers I seem to have swapped 02 and 04 in my memory there.  Am I right in say then that Tyrone have not put back to back semi finals together this decade?

David McKeown

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 24, 2008, 10:45:35 PM
An explanation:

The difference between the Millennium and year 2000

Short explanation
The 3rd Millennium starts January 1st, year 2001 NOT year 2000 as many people believe, when using the Gregorian calendar.
Year 2000 starts January 1st, year 2000.

Longer explanation
The reason why the 3rd Millennium / 21st Century starts in 2001 is because there was no year 0 (or AD 0, 0 BC). The year before 1 A.D. is defined as year 1 B.C., so year 0 was skipped. (See below. Therefore, January 1st, year 1 is defined to be the start of the 1st century and the 1st Millennium.
Because one Millennium is 1000 years, the first Millennium ends with year 1000. The next (2nd) Millennium starts 1000 years after the first, that is in year 1+1000 = 1001. And the 3rd one starts 1000 years later than the 2nd: 1001+1000 = 2001. The same procedure could be followed for centuries. See the tables below for more information.

What should we celebrate?
It's no problem celebrating both of them, although probably most people will think year 2000 is the biggest of them.
When going to year 2000, we celebrate that it's a special round number, and in year 2001 we can celebrate a new century, a new Millennium, and that it's passed 2000 years since year 1 started.

Why was there no year 0?
When the present system we use to count years was invented by a scholar called Dionysius Exiguus in the 6th century (and later established around Europe) they used Roman numerals which did not have zero. Therefore 1 BC is the year before AD 1, with no intervening year 0. (Sequence ... 3 BC, 2 BC, 1 BC, AD 1, AD 2, AD 3 ...).

Exceptions - other calendars
There are many other calendars in use than the Gregorian Calendar, e.g. Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist, that started the numbering of years at a different time (initial epoch) than the Julian/Gregorian calendar, and therefore do not celebrate the 3rd Millennium at the same time. 

Ahh so O'Neill is right then that 1990 was in fact in the 80's?  On a related note does the decade extend to December 30th or 31st 2010?  I ask because 2000 was a leap year and 1000 wasnt therefore we lost a day in the last millenium?

puskas

ignore the pedantry

the 80s started with 1980, the 90s with 1990

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 24, 2008, 02:05:33 PM
Quote from: puskas on September 24, 2008, 01:32:46 AM
Quote from: Seamus on September 24, 2008, 12:52:59 AM
First of all congrats to Tyrone, deserved winners, well done especially to the great Tyrone fans I met before, during and after the game. Their graciousness in victory eased the pain.

I have no interest in getting into the debate of team of the decade, it seems so irrelevant. I do have a question for puskas, outside of Kerry has any other team in the history of the GAA won a soft All Ireland?   

Galway's 98 had a softness about it, Kerry still ordinary (soft AI in 97), a knackered Derry side followed by Kildare a nice team to meet in your first All-Ireland final in a while, not a traditional intimidating powerhouse at their peak of their powers lacking belief.

More absolute bollocks.

Galway in 98 had to beat a Mayo team in Castlebar that had contested the last two All-Ireland finals and should have won one of them. They had to go to a replay with Roscommon who had a pretty good side back then. They handily beat Derry in the AI semi-finals and we all know how fantastic Ulster football is. And they beat a Kildare team at the peak of their powers who had already beaten Meath and Kerry (the two sides who had won the last two All-Ireland's) that Summer and were hot favourites to win the All-Ireland.

You may as well say every AI title is soft in that case.

kildare were and are for the foreseeable a no-name product, galway 98 was not an all-ireland won against a brand leade. an all-ireland yes, but a triple aaa all-ireland, sorry but no.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 24, 2008, 01:57:22 PM
Quote from: puskas on September 24, 2008, 12:04:51 AM
Kerry's All-Ireland in 2000 is worth 2 as they beat Armagh in the semis who would surely have beaten Galway in the final

Really?

Galway and Armagh played each other in 2001 and Galway won. Why would Armagh have beaten them with such ease in 2000?

my comment wasn't entirely serious

imtommygunn

who did kildare beat in the 98 all ireland semi? that 98 kildare team were no slouches and you're doing them a huge discredit there

puskas

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 24, 2008, 11:12:13 PM
who did kildare beat in the 98 all ireland semi? that 98 kildare team were no slouches and you're doing them a huge discredit there

a poor kerry team by their own high standards

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: puskas on September 24, 2008, 11:19:43 PM

Though still good enough to win the All-Ireland the year previously.

Quotekildare were and are for the foreseeable a no-name product, galway 98 was not an all-ireland won against a brand leade

What's the definition of a brand leader? The only brand leader in football is Kerry and they weren't good enough back then to even reach the final that year. End of story.

Kildare may not be great now but they had a fine team for a number of years who came close to reaching another final in 2000.

Big name teams or brand leaders as you call it don't always have great sides out on the pitch year after year. That's why we play the games. Otherwise we'd just stick Kerry in the final every year and everyone else could play-off to meet them.

This revisionist devaluing of All-Ireland titles is nonsense IMO and noticably rarely seems to be applied to any Ulster teams strangely enough. You can argue that every opponent on the way to an AI title was either exhausted, stricken with injuries, had a bad dose of the trots on the day, got lost in the bus on the way to Croker, etc. It doesn't change the fact that invariably the best team in the country any given year will still lift Sam come September time barring the very odd exception.

puskas

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 24, 2008, 11:31:25 PM
Quote from: puskas on September 24, 2008, 11:19:43 PM

Though still good enough to win the All-Ireland the year previously.

Quotekildare were and are for the foreseeable a no-name product, galway 98 was not an all-ireland won against a brand leade

What's the definition of a brand leader? The only brand leader in football is Kerry and they weren't good enough back then to even reach the final that year. End of story.

Kildare may not be great now but they had a fine team for a number of years who came close to reaching another final in 2000.

Big name teams or brand leaders as you call it don't always have great sides out on the pitch year after year. That's why we play the games. Otherwise we'd just stick Kerry in the final every year and everyone else could play-off to meet them.

This revisionist devaluing of All-Ireland titles is nonsense IMO and noticably rarely seems to be applied to any Ulster teams strangely enough. You can argue that every opponent on the way to an AI title was either exhausted, stricken with injuries, had a bad dose of the trots on the day, got lost in the bus on the way to Croker, etc. It doesn't change the fact that invariably the best team in the country any given year will still lift Sam come September time barring the very odd exception.

galway 98 was great to see but you admit yourself above that it was in a poor kerry year, if kildare reach an-ireland final then alarm bells start ringing and a stewards's enquiry is called for.

also what's the big deal with winning 2 in a row? isn't it better and more memorable to win one epic championship when there are several titan contenders, than 2 or more when there are none and your victories are facile walkovers??