All-Stars 2008

Started by Real1995, September 21, 2008, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 15, 2008, 04:01:08 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 15, 2008, 03:56:33 PM
The whole naming of players in different positions has runined the system - the Donaghy example is a joke and also Ryan McMenamins exclusion is unbelievable.  McCullagh was more deserving of a forward award than Donaghy.

So basically you wanted more All-Stars for Tyrone? ;D

Sure Donaghey is from Tyrone! Head to head though you gotta agree that McCullough or even to a degree Tommy McGuigan has had a better season than Donaghey.

I notice there while reading Spillane's pedigree that big Sean has more Ulster titles than Spillane has.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Roseyland

Congrats to Both Gary C and JK, both were the most consistent and reliable players all year for WH.

mylestheslasher

I haven't even bothered to look at this thread in ages since the all stars to me is a bad joke and should be done away with. As I understand the idea of the all stars is to select each year (copy and paste from wikipedia)

...the best player in each of the fifteen positions in Gaelic football & Hurling in Ireland.

No where does it say that the first 6 months of the year should be ignored for the last 2 months
No where does it say that the all ireland winners need to get 7/8 minimum or that provincial winners, semi finalist ect are entitled to a quota.
No where does it say that the dubs should always get at least 1.

So why is it that every year the same balancing act is undertaken to try and keep everyone happy. Is it not possible that a team could win the all ireland with no one "all star" player, but with a tremendous work/team ethic to compensate. Fermanagh should have won Ulster with that approach and if they did they'd probably have a player on the team, which personally I don't think they deserve either way.

Croí na hÉireann

Have to say, I've very pleasantly surprised, well done to the two lads, makes up for Connaughton not getting one in 04, hopefully it gives us a good base going into 09...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 15, 2008, 04:28:26 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 15, 2008, 04:01:08 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 15, 2008, 03:56:33 PM
The whole naming of players in different positions has runined the system - the Donaghy example is a joke and also Ryan McMenamins exclusion is unbelievable.  McCullagh was more deserving of a forward award than Donaghy.

So basically you wanted more All-Stars for Tyrone? ;D

Sure Donaghey is from Tyrone! Head to head though you gotta agree that McCullough or even to a degree Tommy McGuigan has had a better season than Donaghey.

Possibly although you could also argue that Michael Meehan was better than all of them. He was after all the leading scorer from play in the league and probably produced the individual performance of the entire championship against Kerry. Or Padraig Joyce who earlier in the Summer was in the running for footballer of the year until Galway got knocked out in the quarters.

Not that these lads should have automatically got All-Stars but there are many players in or around selection who had equally deserving shouts. In the end though unless you get to an All-Ireland semi-final you're unlikely to get selected apart from a couple. Cork and Wexford I'm sure feel the most hard done by.

Overall though I don't place much stock in the All-Stars as the whole selection process is flawed IMO.

full back

I notice there while reading Spillane's pedigree that big Sean has more Ulster titles than Spillane has.

Didnt know Spillane ever played in the Ulster ???

Maguire01

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on October 15, 2008, 04:11:33 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 15, 2008, 04:07:02 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on October 15, 2008, 04:02:49 PM
Delighted for the two Westmeath lads, particularly Gary who suffered dogs abuse from a section of the Dubs fans over the 4 games.

Westmeath have done really well getting two All-Stars considering they didn't reach the quarter-finals or even a provincial final.

considering Wexfords position its doesn't make any sense at all...or even derry who won the national league
[/quote
But all-stars are for players, not teams.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: full back on October 15, 2008, 04:41:52 PM

Switch on the sarcasm radar there FB!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

full back

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on October 15, 2008, 04:47:42 PM
Quote from: full back on October 15, 2008, 04:41:52 PM

Switch on the sarcasm radar there FB!

Exactly Norf ;)

Puckoon

Great scoop for the Tyrone boys again, with a few (both from Tyrone and other counties) who can as usual feel aggrieved to have been left out.

What happens on the all star trip in the event that a player is on both last years and this years team - who do they play for and who makes up the numbers?

imtommygunn

There are replacements called in.

Not sure how they decide which year they replace from.

Maybe they split it evenly if possible and if not luck of the draw.

Iarmhí Abú

I'm delighted for the two lads.  Connaughton has been the best keeper around for a while now and this makes up for missing out in '04.  John Keane has been superb for years and certainly deserves to add to his tally.

This seems to be a move towards picking players rather than allocating places to counties based on performance.  Think Shane Ryan was very deserving althought Wexford will be very disappointed.

ziggysego

Discrimination against beards! Joey didn't get nominated and Ricey didn't win. Fergal should look into this and bring it to court!!
Testing Accessibility

Newbridge Exile

Congratulations to the Tyrone Seven, all throughly deserved ( must admit the tears are not tripping me about McMenaminthough)

orangeman

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on October 15, 2008, 05:44:51 PM
Congratulations to the Tyrone Seven, all throughly deserved ( must admit the tears are not tripping me about McMenaminthough)

Why not ?