All-Stars 2008

Started by Real1995, September 21, 2008, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

From UTV: McMahon's brother Justin is one of five defendants who made the nominations.

Jesus lads, how did yous earn the nominations?

ONeill

Cavanagh's selection at HF is the right one. He was rarely an out-and-out FF for long in every game yet never a traditional MFielder when moved out. Most of his good work (and scores) came from half forward. Ricey the same - he played in the HB line for the majority of the business end of the championship.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rashCharacter

Does anybody know who is on the all star selection committee.  I'm pretty sure it is a selection of journalists.
Some of the nominations and selections every year are crazy.

Its little wonder when you have people like Marty Morrissey and Ger Canning picking names.

Also, who decides who is onthe committee?

belleaqua

How is Clarke such a cert and Meehan not?? Was there that great a difference in their respective provincial displays? Clarke played against marginally better opposition but Meehan's performance against Kerry far outweighed that. Meehan played well in all his Connaught games, and i include the Mayo game albeit only scoring 1 point from play. Are people comparing his Kerry display to his Connaught ones rather than comparing them to the likes of Clarke, Forde, Gooch, etc.??

corn02

Quote from: belleaqua on September 25, 2008, 04:37:59 PM
How is Clarke such a cert and Meehan not?? Was there that great a difference in their respective provincial displays?

Yes, yes there was.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: belleaqua on September 25, 2008, 04:37:59 PM
How is Clarke such a cert and Meehan not?? Was there that great a difference in their respective provincial displays? Clarke played against marginally better opposition but Meehan's performance against Kerry far outweighed that. Meehan played well in all his Connaught games, and i include the Mayo game albeit only scoring 1 point from play. Are people comparing his Kerry display to his Connaught ones rather than comparing them to the likes of Clarke, Forde, Gooch, etc.??

For what it's worth I don't think either of them will get an All-Star.

Although I agree that Meehan actually played fairly well in Connacht bar maybe the Roscommon game. Only scored 0-1 from play in the Connacht final but won nearly every ball sent into him and laid it off for a host of scores.

milltown row

Ronan Gallagher should have got at least an All Star nomination this year, Jason Reilly???? no offence Jason I'm sure your a lovely guy but WTF. as for the other ones well I'll say nothing. no I'm not being biased at all. not that it matters, but all the sports writers had Ronan as their number one Keeper this year in Ulster (Irish News that is)

he pulled off save after save. two penalties and a string of other saves great distribution and played well in the Leagues games also. who picks these teams?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Straight question folks (and apologies if it has been asked elsewhere in this thread): if you were picking a team of the 15 best team players in 2008, could you possibly omit Joe Mc Mahon? FFS He'll do whatever job you ask of him, be it as a defender, midfielder, or forward? Ludicrous.

The GAA have just handed the GPA a masterstroke of positive publicity.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

In fairness where do you put Joe?

While there are few all round better players - there are people who performed better in all 15 spots more consistently throughout the year.

Im a big Joe McMahon fan - but for the purposes of all stars - his versatililty is his downfall. :-\

ONeill

Joe maybe should have had a nomination but I wouldn't think he was in the running for an actual gong.

I was thinking yesterday that Harte-Ricey-Jordan would clean up at HB. The only other half back line to achieve that was 1993 - Johnny McGurk, Henry Downey, Gary Coleman.

Puckoon

With Gormley being named in the fullback section - do the allstars have to be selected from the section in which they were nominated?

Strange selections with Cavanagh being nominated at half forward too - Id have thought either mid field or the fullforward line would have been his nomination.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Puckoon on September 25, 2008, 07:10:04 PM
Im a big Joe McMahon fan - but for the purposes of all stars - his versatililty is his downfall. :-\

Versatility should not be a negative thing Puck, quite the reverse. Like I say, the GPA have a joker that they're going to play very hard.

Puckoon

Yeah - it shouldnt be - but where do you put him?

Fear ón Srath Bán

One of the best in Ireland at half-forward, and one of the best in Ireland at corner back. Take your pick.

If they can mangle the defensive and offensive positions to give those who haven't played in a particular or specific position a gong because they belong to a zone, what prevents them from acknowledging that by extension?

GPA Player of the Year (Joe Mc Mahon) anyone?  ;)

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 25, 2008, 07:31:27 PM

GPA Player of the Year (Joe Mc Mahon) anyone?  ;)

I know that's tongue in cheek but come on - no one was mentioning Joe McMahon before his Dublin goal. Against Wexford? Played well against Kerry but of the 2 big men, Walsh had the better game with the lasting memory of Walsh skinning Joe undr the Hogan.