UDA boss Mc Donald to speak at Belfast GAA club

Started by Minder, September 17, 2008, 09:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Where they not informed of who would be attending? If not why not!

Main Street

nifan

Thats what the likes of willie frazer will no doubt claim MS ::)

Donagh

No doubt the Sarsfield members want to keep the club drugs free. 

carribbear

The Shoukri brothers probably demanded 50% of the door receipts

Evil Genius

Quote from: theskull1 on September 17, 2008, 10:12:56 AM
Shouldn't be held in a GAA club though....we're non political

Indeed, hence the naming of the club after a General who was born in Co.Dublin, is most associated in Ireland with Limerick and who died in Continental Europe. In the 17th Century.

I'm amazed he had time to fit in a spot of Hurling or Gaelic Football any time he visited West Belfast, but there you go.  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Orior

Quote from: Evil Genius on September 18, 2008, 02:11:11 PM

Indeed, hence the naming of the club after a General who was born in Co.Dublin, is most associated in Ireland with Limerick and who died in Continental Europe. In the 17th Century.

I'm amazed he had time to fit in a spot of Hurling or Gaelic Football any time he visited West Belfast, but there you go.  ;)

Hmmm. Lets just have a look around...

Chichester Street (Belfast) - named after the fecker who tortured and murdered us Irish in the 17th century
Prince Charles Way (Newtownabby) - whose army murdered innocent civilians on Bloody Sunday
The Robinson Centre (Belfast) - after the fecker who invaded Clontibret

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

Obviously we have to have a rethink in the GAA and not name any clubs/pitches/competitions after anybody who took up arms of any sort against any invader or their allies. Not just against the armies of the English but also going back to those who fought against the noble Vikings.
We should consider the Tuatha de Danann as the one true holy warrior people because they fought against the dark Celts/Babel.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Orior on September 18, 2008, 04:39:46 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on September 18, 2008, 02:11:11 PM

Hmmm. Lets just have a look around...

Chichester Street (Belfast) - named after the fecker who tortured and murdered us Irish in the 17th century
Prince Charles Way (Newtownabby) - whose army murdered innocent civilians on Bloody Sunday
The Robinson Centre (Belfast) - after the fecker who invaded Clontibret

Er, no-one, least of all me, is claiming that Belfast City Council is not a "political" organisation, or that their street-naming policy doesn't on occasion have a political motivation.

I was merely responding to someone who asserted that the GAA club in question was "non-political", by musing over the origins of the club's name.

Still, have a Gold Star, for your "Whataboutery of the Week"!  :D
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on September 18, 2008, 05:50:47 PM
Obviously we have to have a rethink in the GAA and not name any clubs/pitches/competitions after anybody who took up arms of any sort against any invader or their allies. Not just against the armies of the English but also going back to those who fought against the noble Vikings.
We should consider the Tuatha de Danann as the one true holy warrior people because they fought against the dark Celts/Babel.

As I have noted on frequent occasions in the past, GAA clubs may name themselves after whomsoever they like, including partisan political/military figures from the 17th Century, indeed even those who are not known ever to have kicked a ball in their life.

Just don't be too surprised, however, if after doing so, outside observers raise an eyebrow at claims by the GAA that they are "non-political"...  ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

fred the red

Quote from: Evil Genius on September 18, 2008, 06:27:37 PM

As I have noted on frequent occasions in the past, GAA clubs may name themselves after whomsoever they like, including partisan political/military figures from the 17th Century, indeed even those who are not known ever to have kicked a ball in their life.

Just don't be too surprised, however, if after doing so, outside observers raise an eyebrow at claims by the GAA that they are "non-political"...  ::)

because the people who named the club are still around today  ::)

stibhan

Is the GAA named after a political or military figure? Clubs are named after plenty of things but is the GAA responsible for the names of its individual clubs? I'm not sure how naming a GAA club after an individual from the 17th century would annoy many people anyway.

The PSNI are probably the most political GAA club in Ireland anyway...

Evil Genius

Quote from: fred the red on September 18, 2008, 06:32:25 PM
because the people who named the club are still around today  ::)

Obviously not and in making what wasn't an entirely serious point, perhaps I should have made it clear that I have no reason to believe that the people at this particular club are especially "political" in the way they conduct their affairs.

Nonetheless, my general point still stands. That is, for a self-styled "non-political" organisation, the GAA has named more than its share of clubs, trophies, tournaments and stadia etc after controversial and partisan political figures, drawn exclusively from one side of the political divide in Ireland, in a practice that continues to this very day. As such, it has no equal in any other sport in Ireland, North or South.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

It wouldn't surprise me. Illiteracy, ignorance and prejudice is common enough.
'Sarsfield is the word and Sarsfield is the name'  would surely still strike fear into the heart of such a subject.  ::)

Evil Genius

Quote from: stibhan on September 18, 2008, 06:53:14 PM
Is the GAA named after a political or military figure? Clubs are named after plenty of things but is the GAA responsible for the names of its individual clubs?
No, the GAA is not responsible for the names of its individual clubs, or of its clubs' stadia and facilities, for that matter. But that is my whole point - they have long since absolved themselves of "responsibility" for anything which might embarrass them, or be used to criticise them. Convenient, that, eh, especially when you consider their undoubted power to sanction and discipline clubs which incur their displeasure in other ways?
And I can't help wondering whether they have ever objected to their Member Clubs playing in any (GAA-sanctioned) tournament which is named after a controversial political figure?
I'm not sure how naming a GAA club after an individual from the 17th century would annoy many people anyway.
It doesn't bother me, personally, either - especially when it was done a century or so ago. However, if I were a GAA fan, it would concern me considerably to see clubs, tournaments, stadia etc being named in the present day after controversial and partisan political or paramilitary figures, such as Kevin Lynch, for example.
Then again, that is reason alone for me and people like me not to be GAA fans...
The PSNI are probably the most political GAA club in Ireland anyway...
Congratulations! You win the "Sam Maguire Was a Protestant Award" for the month of September!  ::)

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"