UDA boss Mc Donald to speak at Belfast GAA club

Started by Minder, September 17, 2008, 09:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Minder on September 17, 2008, 01:59:59 PM
The GAA certainly wasnt "non political" a couple of years ago when we had a march in memory of the hunger strikers in Casement Park.........

The GAA didn't have a march in memory of the Hunger Strikers.
Tbc....

Minder

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 17, 2008, 02:04:54 PM
The GAA certainly wasnt "non political" a couple of years ago when we had a march in memory of the hunger strikers in Casement Park.........

The GAA didn't have a march in memory of the Hunger Strikers.

Where was it held then? Am i right in thinking the Antrim Board got fined or reprimanded for allowing it to go ahead?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

The grounds were allowed to be used for the commemoration.
The GAA did not hold the commemoration.
Antrim GAA were told not to allow it.
Antrim GAA were reprimanded and fined.

Minder

Quote from: Main Street on September 17, 2008, 02:17:26 PM
The grounds were allowed to be used for the commemoration.
The GAA did not hold the commemoration.
Antrim GAA were told not to allow it.
Antrim GAA were reprimanded and fined.

Surely you can understand the signals events like that sent the unionist community?

Main Street

Exactly what did I write that would give you the idea that I did not understand the signals?

FWIW, I thought GAA HQ acted appropriately.

AZOffaly

But weren't the Antrim Co Board given a rap on the knuckles for that?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Yes the Antrim board were reprimanded, but the whole "GAA held a HS rally at Casement" line is spouted by anti-GAA people all the time and is wrong.

Minder the certain people in the unionist community go out of their ways to be offended, there's no helping them (as do certain members of my own community).

Casement was the best (and some would say only) venue to hold this event, due to the numbers - personally I felt it was the right decision for it to go ahead.
Tbc....

Tonto

Quote from: T Fearon on September 17, 2008, 09:43:08 AM
Once again the tolerance of we nationalist people is to be marvelled at. When Sinn Fein ministers visiting schools are heckled and abused by schoolchildren (egged on by adults of course) we welcome the head of a mass murder gang (how many GAA members did Mc Donald's men kill?) into one of our clubs.

Did Gregory Campbell not appeal at the weekend for GAA clubs not to associate with paramilitarism, oh sorry, that was republican paramilitarism >:(

Tony, just a thought, but maybe what this shows is that terrorists are more acceptable within the nationalist/republican community than within the unionist community?

That, by the way, isn't an attempt to wind people up, but a genuine concern I would have that some nationalists continue to see terrorists as having a legitimate place in the public eye.

Personally, I wouldn't have a bit of time for any enemies of democracy and do not understand why this man should be given a platform to air his views when, as far as I am aware, he has never sought a mandate to represent any part of the community.

magickingdom

Quote from: Tonto on September 17, 2008, 06:16:04 PM
Once again the tolerance of we nationalist people is to be marvelled at. When Sinn Fein ministers visiting schools are heckled and abused by schoolchildren (egged on by adults of course) we welcome the head of a mass murder gang (how many GAA members did Mc Donald's men kill?) into one of our clubs.

Did Gregory Campbell not appeal at the weekend for GAA clubs not to associate with paramilitarism, oh sorry, that was republican paramilitarism >:(

Tony, just a thought, but maybe what this shows is that terrorists are more acceptable within the nationalist/republican community than within the unionist community?

That, by the way, isn't an attempt to wind people up, but a genuine concern I would have that some nationalists continue to see terrorists as having a legitimate place in the public eye.

Personally, I wouldn't have a bit of time for any enemies of democracy and do not understand why this man should be given a platform to air his views when, as far as I am aware, he has never sought a mandate to represent any part of the community.

and what would the unionist community be able to tell the world about democracy? sweet fcuk all

nifan

Quoteand what would the unionist community be able to tell the world about democracy? sweet fcuk all

Of course no unionist can believe in democracy ::)

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tonto on September 17, 2008, 06:16:04 PM

I think the word "terrorist" should be banned from the english language.

magickingdom

Quote from: nifan on September 17, 2008, 08:29:50 PM
Quoteand what would the unionist community be able to tell the world about democracy? sweet fcuk all

Of course no unionist can believe in democracy ::)

they can believe in whatever they want but their history shows they know nothing about practicing it

nifan

carribbear

I see the loyalists starting to panic and try get themselves into position for the inevitable shakeup. McDonald hasn't stayed at the top of the tree without beating down pretenders to his throne. This again is an attempt to portray "Uncle" Jackie, the acceptable face of unionism.

Paisley even recognised this tactic and was trying to manoeuver Junior into a position of power by starting up dialog with nationalists. Robinson ditto. They all know the army council havent gone away but are happy enough to peddle the illusion as it suits their purposes to feed that to their voters and they are dumb enough to swallow it.

Theres money in those "community worker" positions. Just depends on who gets in there first and builds up links with the other side first...then they are in prime position.

Minder

I read last night that Sarsfields cancelled the event when they realised who the attendees would be, the plot thickens......... :o

http://www.irishnews.com/irishnews/540/5860/2008/9/18/597943_357535830250GAAclubc.html