New Laoise Manager

Started by The Real Laoislad, September 15, 2008, 05:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Dempsey to be installed tonight - reports

SEAN DEMPSEY will be installed as the new Laois senior football manager tonight.
Dempsey was a selector with outgoing boss Liam Kearns two years ago but was not part of the senior backroom team last year when he was the county U-21 manager.

He led Laois to a memorable All-Ireland minor title in 2003 and an All-Ireland U-21 final two years ago when they were pipped by Cork. Now he takes charge of a team that includes many of his former underage charges.

Dempsey's appointment is expected to be ratified by the Laois Executive tonight and then presented to the full meeting of the County Board that immediately follows.

Contrary to speculation, it seems unlikely that Dempsey's brother Michael will be part of his management team. Michael is also a successful former Laois U-21 football manager but in recent years he has been a key part of the Kilkenny hurlers' three in-a-row backroom team.

Kerryman Liam Kearns stepped down after two years in charge of Laois. They suffered a defeat at the hands of Wexford this summer before losing out to Down in the qualifiers.

Kearns replaced Mick O'Dwyer as Laois boss in September 2006 after a successful spell in charge of Limerick.

-
Irish Independent

No real surprise in that to be honest
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Zapatista

He has earned the job. Fair play to him and I wish him luck.

Billys Boots

Ah sh*te, I thought ye were getting Lucky Lukie - spreading the pain, so to speak.   ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Real Laoislad

Confirmed

The appointment of Seán Dempsey as the new Laois Senior Football Manager has been confirmed tonight at a Laois County Board meeting.

Dempsey was a selector with outgoing boss Liam Kearns two years ago but was not part of the senior backroom team last year when he was the county U-21 manager.

He led Laois to a memorable All-Ireland minor title in 2003 and an All-Ireland U-21 final two years ago when they were pipped by Cork. Now he takes charge of a team that includes many of his former underage charges.

Dempsey will be aided in his position by Dermot Murphy of Portarlington who himself was part of Liam Kearns management team last year, and former Laois footballer Eamon Delaney of Stradbally.

RIGNEY RATIFIED

At the same meeting Niall Rigney, as expected, was ratified as the Laois Senior Hurling Manager for 2009. Rigney took over the job and maintained Laois's Liam McCarthy Cup status when Damien Fox resigned his position during the 2008 campaign.

Former Laois hurlers and team mates of Rigney, Joe Dollard of Camross and PJ Peacock of St Lazerians Abbeyleix were confirmed as selectors for the coming year.

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Pat Roe moaning again..He is never gonna be Laois manager he should just accept that fact

Fellow candidates wish Dempsey all the best

Sean Dempsey's fellow candidates in the race for the Laois manager's job have wished him well in his new position, after they were officially ruled out of the running on Monday night.
Pat Roe, Mick Lillis, Luke Dempsey, Oliver Phelan and Tommy Conroy were the other candidates who made up the six men in the running for the post. Dempsey was always the front-runner before the final shortlist of candidates was ever drawn up, and even prior to the appointment being made, the rumour mill indicated that he was the preffered candidate.

Speaking in the wake of his appointment, Pat Roe wished Sean well, but was less than impressed with the way in which the appointment was handled, "It seemed to be an open secret, and it was something I raised at my my own interview, but that seems to be the way things work in Laois.

"I have no problem with Sean Dempsey, he has given an awful lot of his time to coaching in Laois and I wish him success in the position. I'm going to take a break now, when the Laois job came up it was the only one I wanted, I thought I had paid my dues and put in the time but I'll take a well earned break now."

This was Roe's second time to be interviewed for the position, as the job he wants the most continues to elude him. As he faces into a self-imposed break from football, he was undecided whether he would run for the position again. "It's the second time I've gone for the job and I've been turned down both times. When or if it comes up again I'll see what situation I'm in then, but all I've ever done since I finished up playing was geared towards managing Laois, but it hasn't worked out."

Mick Lillis also offered his congratulations to Dempsey, while admitting he was disappointed he too was looked over for the second time, having gone for the job back in 2000 when Colm Browne was appointed.

"Obviously I'm disappointed not to get the job, I feel I could have done a good job. Sean has put a lot of work into the GAA in Laois with juveniles and whether that's the criteria or not, I don't know, but it has worked in his favour here.

"I wish him well in the position and hope he and his management team have success in the next few years."

Also keen to see Dempsey succeed in his new position was Ballyfin's nominee Oliver Phelan, who called on everyone in the county to get behind the new manager in the coming months. "The important thing now is for the County Board, the players and the supporters to back him and give him the support that he needs. If he has any ideas he wants to implement he has to have everyone's full backing and hopefully everyone will pull in the same direction."

While admitting he was honoured to be in the running for the position, Phelan admitted Dempsey was always the favourite to take up the position after Liam Kearns stepped down earlier this year, "There is always going to be favourites for a job in any walk of life, whether it's in sport or in industry or anything like that, and Sean was always the favourite for the position.

At the end of the day only one person can get the job, and I wish him and his management team the best of luck."

The other candidates who were interviewed for the job, Tommy Conroy and Luke Dempsey, were unavailable for comment at the time of going to press, although Luke Dempsey is unlikely to have too much time to dwell on the disappointment, as he has been heavily linked with the vacant manager's job in Sligo.

-Leinster Express
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 16, 2008, 09:03:28 AM
Ah sh*te, I thought ye were getting Lucky Lukie - spreading the pain, so to speak.   ;)

No we had a lucky escape :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Lecale2

How is the name of the county beside Offaly spelt?

Laois? Laoise? Leix? Laoaghis? or Queen's County?

What is the correct spelling?

Onlooker

The correct spelling is Laois. 

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rossfan

Laois is Irish.
It only becomes Laoise when you put an oul Contae before it.
As for a lucky escape avoiding Medialukeen - I think ye were equally lucky to avoid Roe.
Although I'm sure ye're very happy with what he did to ye're good friends in Biffoland ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear ón Srath Bán

Laois, ach Port Laoise, nach ea?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 17, 2008, 09:36:52 PM
How is the name of the county beside Offaly spelt?

What is the correct spelling?

Kildare?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Colonel Cool

Shocking that a GAA man can't even spell the name of his county!  :D :D
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Colonel Cool on September 18, 2008, 02:34:20 PM
Shocking that a GAA man can't even spell the name of his county!  :D :D

Really..............

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hardy

A blatant case of the tuiseal ginideach, I'd submit.