Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

I know its probably over a month away but,
Seemingly  the Training squad(obviously missing the Kerry and Tyrone lads has been named,)anyone know anything about it?

This was on Hoganstand
Johnston called into International Rules training

Cavan's Seanie Johnston
11 September 2008

Following an exceptional season on the inter-county scene, Cavan ace attacker Sean Johnston has been called up to train with the International Rules squad for next month's series in Australia.

The Cavan Gaels marksman starred for the Breffni men this year as their main outlet for scores in both their National League and All-Ireland Championship campaigns, and if he were to make the final cut he would be the first Cavan player to do so since Larry Reilly back in 2001.

"The two training sessions have gone pretty well for me so far, I'm happy enough but it's going to be very hard to make it," admitted Johnston.

"There are a lot of Irish players out in Australia now and I presume some of them will be involved in the squad as well. It depends what sort of players they are looking for, they might be going with bigger players or they might decide that speed is a factor."

Johnston has had some experience in the compromise game at underage level before and admits that on some level it does suit his game.

"I suppose it does suit me because if you win the ball you get basically a free shot at goal, so it probably suits a lot of free-takers because they are generally accurate enough.

"I played a small bit of it at underage level for Ulster but not that much. It's a very good game, it' probably more demanding than Gaelic but it's vey enjoyable. There's a bit more physicality to it with the tackling and so on."

If Johnston can make it into Sean Boylan's final squad he will compete in two tests next month 'Down Under'.

corn02

Never seen it. Will be interesting to see how many AFL boys are on the squad. Clarke and Kennelly obviously, Begley proabably. Shields, although home, may have an outside chance. Dyas is injured anyway but probably would not have been picked.

Jinxy

Doubt Kennelly will play. Shoulder is banjaxed so he'll need surgery. I'm telling ye, this lad will never wear a Kerry jersey.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

feetofflames

Certainly not in an all ireland final.  I would love to see just all the Irish lads out there play for Ireland and kick the dung out of the Australians, Brennan and all can go out and watch and dont annoy the rest of us about it.  We have club championships to play Mr Brennan. 
Chief Wiggum

Final Whistle

stephenite

INDIANA

johnson must have an injury wish , fine player but will be decapitated in that game.

Bod Mor

Tickets booked today as well. Hopefully there won't be too much damage done to the aggregate score from Perth the previous week. I wonder will Hanley be called up, doubt there'll be too many Connacht lads on the Ireland team. Maybe McGarrity & Culinane would be useful.

So where is the quinns of Melbourne for the pints (or pots) before and after the game going to be?
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

RedandGreenSniper

Still in two minds whether I'll go or not. But it would be madness to miss it too! Saving to head home for the Xmas as well though, not easy!

PJ O'Briens on the Southbank would be the spot for most of the day. There's a good pub then beside the ground, on the corner of Little Bourke Street I think, damned if I can remember the name of it. We were there before the Irish rugby match in June, cracking atmosphere - much better than inside in the ground! Ah Jaysus a man would go insane above in Sydney, missing out on that weekend!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Aerlik

Damnit, a new job has started and I might not be able to make it...feck.  I asked Mini-me about the game and which team he would support.  Well, he has Irish and Australian cousins so he has decided to wear the Derry jersey and the Fremantle hat.  No persuasion by his father at all in that decision.

I'm already conjuring up excuses to get to Perth for that weekend.  Should be quare craic if I can go as there is a whole crowd of us planning to go, Aussies and all.

If any of the Melbourne lads are thinking of coming over, PM me and I'll maybe see about accommodation for you
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

the green man

Where do you find the dates for this, tour packages etc etc etc

Tankie

Is this in OZ or Croker this year? i really hate this game.
Grand Slam Saturday!

overdabar

Extended my honeymoon for a few days so I'll be able to attend the game in the mcg. staying in hotel beside ground but still have to get tickets. I see ticketmaster Australia have tickets for sale. anyone know what seats are the best and will they deliver tickets to ireland ? is there any outlets selling them in ireland?

Doire abú

There never announced a provisional panel or anything did they?

I suppose a lot of top players will miss out due to club championships.