Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heineken_on_tap

Who is part of Boylan's management team this year? Did Padraig Joyce decide yet if he is going to be involved?

clarshack

Quote from: Doire abú on September 12, 2008, 12:07:08 PM
There never announced a provisional panel or anything did they?

I suppose a lot of top players will miss out due to club championships.

i think club championships are worked around the dates for the series.

are the following australian players likely to feature? - lance franklin, jonathan brown & brendan fevola.

Doire abú

Well what are the two tour dates?
I thought it was middle of October. Our Championship doesn't finish till the 5th, so won't leave much time for training with the squad etc, especially if some guys are already training. Plus there's no way the winners of club Championships will play, while preparing for provincial club championships.

Cue "Won't effect youse Derry boys anyway" jokes. ;D

Aerlik

I'd be very surprised if Fevola was involved considering the publicity he obtained the last time around.  This game is not suited to Brown's style of play.  He is like your classic striker, get the ball in early and let him do his thing, but he probably wouldn't have the mobility required.  There is a chance Franklin will be involved but seeing as his star is definitely on the ascendancy (the commercial channels are already touting him as possibly the best ever player, certainly at Hawthorn) the risk of injury might be too much.

Anyway, it will be interesting viewing.  I would love to see a few Derry lads involved.  PB, EB???
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Tankie on September 12, 2008, 10:44:45 AM
Is this in OZ or Croker this year? i really hate this game.

with guys talking about melbourne and perth i would take a stab at Oz  :P
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

JMohan

Quote from: Aerlik on September 12, 2008, 03:12:06 PM
Anyway, it will be interesting viewing.  I would love to see a few Derry lads involved.  PB, EB???
AFAIK
PB and KmcC are
Doc withdrew

Doire abú

Think Enda Muldoon would be ideally suited to the game. But infortunately is injured at the minute.

Why did Doc withdraw?

A couple of them beardy boys would scare the Aussies a bit.

magickingdom

Quote from: Tankie on September 12, 2008, 10:44:45 AM
Is this in OZ or Croker this year? i really hate this game.

why do you care if you hate it so much? its in oz last 2 weekends in oct... bet you'll watch ;)

plain man

I can't wait til this starts - never mind the pro's and con's etc. it is a decent spectacle...and the aussies and irish are pretty similar, and proud peoples - Aussies do find it hard to show respect to opposition though.

Hanley shud be a shoe in - the stories comin outta brisbane are great about him, fast and hard, one of the greatest players/managers, Leigh Matthews, holds Hanley in high esteem - which says alot. He looks the part.

Personally, I wouldn't have Kennelly anywhere near it.. I know I'll prob get abuse for this, but Kennelly has had a shit end of season, and he's not the bravest of players, dislocated shoulder/knee etc. and all. You rarely see him getting stuck in. He's great with the ball and running outta defence - but I don't think this game suits him.

Marty Clarke is a must...100% - no questions, especially since he'll be up against his manager.. And for a wildcard, Brendan Murphy from the Swans...good stuff being said about him, from people that know.

Not sure bout Begley, he's had a terrible year with injury and form.

I'd have Setanta on the team in a heartbeat, the commitment he gives is unreal, especially considering his management haven't a clue where to play him - unfortunately it looks like he'll not be available, due to injury.

Gnevin

Among those taking part were: Kevin McCloy (Derry), Benny Coulter and Dan Gordon (Down), Steven McDonnell, Ciarán McKeever and Aaron Kernan (Armagh), Tommy Freeman, Paul Finlay and Damien Freeman (Monaghan), Seán Johnston (Cavan), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Bernard Brogan, Bryan Cullen and Barry Cahill (Dublin), Kevin Reilly (Meath), Dermot Earley (Kildare), Redmond Barry and Ciarán Lyng (Wexford), Graham Canty, Michael Shields and John Miskella (Cork), Paul Doherty and Michael Meehan (Galway).

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0912/1221138437489.html
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Real1995

Nice guys always finish second!

corn02

Aaron Kernan? Really, suppose it is hard to know but he would be one of the last players you would expect to suit this sport.

Gnevin

This list is very provisional expect major additions and changes 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Real1995 on September 13, 2008, 04:41:01 PM
Paul Doherty Galway??? not familar with him ???
First choice keeper for Galway for last two or three years. Played a bit outfield for Tuam Stars so he'd be a good choice for keeper given that its more a sweeper typre role they play rather than as a conventional keeper.

The Real Laoislad

I wonder is Donie Kingston too young this year? He has his leaving cert to do anyway so i suppose he won't go even if picked
You'll Never Walk Alone.