OWC intimidation continues, Donagh joins the hitlist and Sickboy goes nuclear

Started by Donagh, September 09, 2008, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Yes I Would on September 10, 2008, 05:01:55 PM
Yes he is a wind up merchant, but its only a bit of banter. As far as i can see he hasnt physically personally abused anyone.
The comment in question may have been made in poor taste, but fuckin hell its hardly a crime.

This whole affair strikes of paronoia and over sensitivity in some quarters.

I'd broadly agree, YIW, but the problem for me lies in defining the word, 'banter.'
What Fearon wrote was banter only to those who chose to accept it as such.
When he decided to post his 'joke' on the OWC forum, he knew full well that some readers were going to be enraged at what they were always going to take as a low, tasteless and totally unprovoked taunt.
Either that or he is in need of serious counselling.
The fact that some close relatives of the lad who was assaulted would read his post would have been obvious to Fearon also. I sympathise with the father who was upset and who replied – but he went to far in posting personal details and his post should have been taken down. I think Fearon's post should have been removed also as its sole purpose was to upset OWC readers.
The fact that the OWC mods did not remove one or both of the posts in question is, I think, irrelevant as they didn't see the joke either. If Fearon decided to post on their board it meant he was accepting their ideas as to what is acceptable or not.
What I really don't understand is the fact that he uses his real name to post and he has freely handed his phone number and work address out.
I'd feel he is deliberately asking for trouble.
It's not the father I'd be concerned about but there just might be some other reader who would decide to pay Mr Fearon a visit and who'd bring a baseball bat along with him.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

bennydorano

I was going to say was he not banned from OWC a long time ago?  I dont think he posted it here either as I checked through his posting history to see the offending post and there was nothing there.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 11, 2008, 12:00:11 PM
Quote from: Yes I Would on September 10, 2008, 05:01:55 PM
Yes he is a wind up merchant, but its only a bit of banter. As far as i can see he hasnt physically personally abused anyone.
The comment in question may have been made in poor taste, but fuckin hell its hardly a crime.

This whole affair strikes of paronoia and over sensitivity in some quarters.

When he decided to post his 'joke' on the OWC forum, he knew full well that some readers were going to be enraged at what they were always going to take as a low, tasteless and totally unprovoked taunt.

f**king Hell chinese whispers

Lets get something clear here, and I stand to be corrected on this

1) Fearon didnt post his joke on owc
2) Fearon doesnt post on owc fullstop
3) The joke wasposted on owc by an owc member who likes to scan this place

lets try using the facts eh lads?
Its Grim up North

Donagh

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

full back

The fact that some close relatives of the lad who was assaulted would read his post would have been obvious to Fearon also. If Fearon decided to post on their board it meant he was accepting their ideas as to what is acceptable or not.

All complete bullsh1t
Need to get some facts right before commenting on the story

ludermor

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

FFS lads get a sense of humour - I've just posted a joke about the boat sinking (albeit a shite joke), now there maybe someone on here whose friend or family member was on the boat and would think that the "joke" was in bad taste, well sorry, but just how PC do things have to get in our society before we turn into the US of f**king A!  >:(
Tbc....

nifan

where do you draw the line GDA? Do you remember the outrage on this board when someone posted a racist joke some time back?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nifan on September 11, 2008, 01:20:55 PM
where do you draw the line GDA? Do you remember the outrage on this board when someone posted a racist joke some time back?

No.
But I do remember the outrage over the Maddie jokes that where doing the rounds - now that was a case where an individual could be identified and their family, that was wrong.
In Tony's case he made a crude "joke" at the expense of an incident, afaik none of the OWC lads had their jaw broken?

In fact nifan the one lad my heart really goes out to is the fella Gareth, who suffered a injury, which has cost him a testicle.
Now if Tony or anyone had made reference to that, then I would be the first to call for their banning from this board.

As for where one draws the line, I think draw it with a bit of common sense.
Tbc....

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ludermor on September 11, 2008, 12:20:23 PM
Come on now Lar, you have lost the run of yourself here.
QuoteAll complete bullsh1t
Okay, I stand corrected on one point – Tony Fearon posted his remarks on this board and not on the OWC one.  With due respect, that fact is not clear from the first couple of pages of this thread, nor is it clear that the father of the guy at the end of Tony's sense of humour was replying on one board while the boul' Fearon had posted to another.
If it is a fact that I got that matter wrong, I did it in good faith and anyone else could reasonably do the same, after reading the opening posts here.
But gaaboard is a public forum and no one, Tony Fearon included, can honestly predict who is going to read what he or she has written.
I wouldn't fancy being stuck with a load of the posters on the OWC board either but that is a matter of opinion, but it is a matter of fact that many OWCers would regard what Tony wrote as highly offensive. Again, the man knows what he is doing and maybe it was meant to be offensive to the people in question; regrettable but that is his choice.
What I can't understand is why he has made his real name, place of work and his phone number freely available and at the same time gors out of his way to offend some of those of an OWC frame of mind.
The fact that the father in question seems to have posted those details on the OWC board means they must be freely available to all who happen to read that post.
The father only said he might bring his son along to confront the man who posted that 'joke' but can anyone guarantee that others might stop at verbal confrontation?
If I was Tony Fearon I'd be watching my back.
Now, can anyone tell me where the 'bullshit' is in what I've written here?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Donagh

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 11, 2008, 01:49:33 PM
In fact nifan the one lad my heart really goes out to is the fella Gareth, who suffered a injury, which has cost him a testicle.
Now if Tony or anyone had made reference to that, then I would be the first to call for their banning from this board.

It's okay, he's alright now.  :P

full back

Quote from: full back on September 11, 2008, 12:18:23 PM

The fact that some close relatives of the lad who was assaulted would read his post would have been obvious to Fearon also. If Fearon decided to post on their board it meant he was accepting their ideas as to what is acceptable or not.

All complete bullsh1t
Need to get some facts right before commenting on the story

The above, which you posted is complete bullsh1t

his holiness nb

If the OWC guys were offended by Tonys remarks, fine, thats understandable.

But if you spend an hour reading on OWC as a GAA an, or worse still, post there, you would see several extremely offensive comments directed towards you and the GAA. Sure Sammy G even claims, and holds to it, that the GAA is a racist organisation.

That said, would you post their personal details up here as a result?
Ask me holy bollix