weekend breaks in ireland

Started by kinghen, September 09, 2008, 02:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

I would give the Grand Hotel in Malahide 9 out of 10.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on January 19, 2011, 09:36:32 PM
I would give the Grand Hotel in Malahide 9 out of 10.
7 out of 10 for me although was a really sticky night I was there and room was roasting.

ardal

Quote from: kinghen on September 09, 2008, 02:30:27 PM
thinkin bout heading away at the weekend for a wee break, any ides or good deals available, live in down and can only get a half day friday so somewhere not too far away would be ideal, was thinkin maybe heading up to north antrim do the whole giants causeway thing, any suggestions appreciated!!

Weekend breaks in Ireland. Feck sake lads, get it together, do you have to break everything back home?

Rois

Puck, I know you were thinking of Rossnowlagh but what about Bundoran (I know, bit of a Portrush in Donegal) but Brian McEniff's hotel the Great Northern has an amazing setting and a golf course, it's not a million miles from Killybegs back through Donegal Town and you also have Yeats's Country on the other side where you can easily head to Sligo for the day, visit Drumcliffe and have nice lunches in town. 

Take in a surf lesson when you're there - great fun!

Aoise

You could do worse than staying at Harveys Point on Lough Eske, just outside Donegal town.  This would make you very central if you want to take a wee trip over the Bluestacks to Killybegs, Portnoo.  You would have the coast, golf, mountainous scenery all wrapped into one.  Or take a drive the other direction and catch Bundoran, Ballyshannon.  Harveys Point is a cracking spot Puck for a few days rest.  Would highly recommend it! 

Puckoon

Cheers Aoise, and Rois - particularly the idea about having multiple lunches.  ;D

Rois

Quote from: Puckoon on January 20, 2011, 07:26:35 PM
Cheers Aoise, and Rois - particularly the idea about having multiple lunches.  ;D
Haha

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Skibbereen in West Cork is a great spot for having a good session, great pubs, many are GAA gold. Lovely scenery close by. Skib gets a big thumbs up from me.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

5 Sams

Quote from: Puckoon on January 19, 2011, 06:21:47 PM
Headed home in March, and taking the girlfriend with me - who's only previous trips to Ireland were a drunken weekend in Derry, and something similar in Dublin. Based in Omagh for the 11 days, and don't want to venture too far away (half a day's drive at most) but fancy a few nights somewhere costal. My provisinal plan was Donegal (Smugglers creek to be precise - but I see it only opens Thursday through Sunday until the summer season). I'd love a great costal view, good seafood and stout and a bit of music and good craic for a couple nights. Maybe a golf course near by to play a round with the auld fella?

Any ideas would be more than welcome.

http://www.teacjack.com/

It's not the Ritz but it's all of the above...neart ceoil, do rogha bia agus porter, craic millteanach agus Gaeilge ar doigh...
The Aristocrat Years

Puckoon

5 Sams - I will tell you a story about that big yellow house.

A fair few years ago we were in that area for a holiday and we stopped in there for a feed. I got the chicken maryland and underneath the big chicken breast there were two nicely fried bluebottles just sittin' starin' back at me. We didn't make too much of a fuss, but the auld fella went in to inspect the kitchen to make sure it was clean enough, and it was spotless in his estimation. The guess came that the friggers had hit the blue light fly catcher and somehow bounced out and landed on the plate or the food as it was being plated. I don't know the odds in that - but it's got to be somewhere close to winning the lottery.

Such is my luck, that that is the 1 in 10 million shot that I can hit.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Rois on January 20, 2011, 08:43:40 AM
Puck, I know you were thinking of Rossnowlagh but what about Bundoran (I know, bit of a Portrush in Donegal) but Brian McEniff's hotel the Great Northern has an amazing setting and a golf course, it's not a million miles from Killybegs back through Donegal Town and you also have Yeats's Country on the other side where you can easily head to Sligo for the day, visit Drumcliffe and have nice lunches in town. 

Take in a surf lesson when you're there - great fun!

I thought Bundoran was a kip,stayed in the Holyrood and it was a hole of a place
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rois

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 20, 2011, 10:23:55 PM

I thought Bundoran was a kip,stayed in the Holyrood and it was a hole of a place

Agreed - I happened to be staying there during the Celtic supporters weekend as well which was fun - but if it's coastal views and golf you want convenient to Killybegs and elsewhere, the Great Northern isn't a bad spot and you don't need to go anywhere near Bundoran centre if you don't feel like it. 

MR99

I'm taking the better half down to Kilkenny for a weekend soon, does anyone recommend somewhere with good food and also a pub where there would be a bit of irish music and banter at night?

Also, is there any good walks in Kilkenny where one could shake off a hangover?

Tubberman

Quote from: Rois on January 21, 2011, 09:01:20 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 20, 2011, 10:23:55 PM

Agreed - I happened to be staying there during the Celtic supporters weekend as well which was fun - but if it's coastal views and golf you want convenient to Killybegs and elsewhere, the Great Northern isn't a bad spot and you don't need to go anywhere near Bundoran centre if you don't feel like it.

:o Sounds like a nightmare!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

tommysmith

Quote from: MR99 on January 21, 2011, 11:09:26 AM
I'm taking the better half down to Kilkenny for a weekend soon, does anyone recommend somewhere with good food and also a pub where there would be a bit of irish music and banter at night?

Also, is there any good walks in Kilkenny where one could shake off a hangover?

Where has that word come from.

Whats wrong with a bit of craic?