weekend breaks in ireland

Started by kinghen, September 09, 2008, 02:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Anyone ever been to Sliver Strand beach at Malin Beg, Co Donegal?

Heard there is a bit of a trek down to it, would it be suitable to do with a baby in a carrier?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gawa316 on September 14, 2010, 09:57:07 PM

Heard there is a bit of a trek down to it, would it be suitable to do with a baby in a carrier bag?
Jesus spend a few quid on the young un you miserable hoor. That can't be safe.

gawa316

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 14, 2010, 11:42:14 PM

Heard there is a bit of a trek down to it, would it be suitable to do with a baby in a carrier bag?

Thats why I'm asking, what's the walk down like?

Were you never told 'the best things in life are free!'

Edit: just seen your edit :D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gawa316 on September 14, 2010, 11:56:44 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 14, 2010, 11:42:14 PM

Thats why I'm asking, what's the walk down like?

Were you never told 'the best things in life are free!'

Edit: just seen your edit :D
What edit? ;)

ross4life

50% off B&B rates at all 10 Carlton Hotels grab a bargain while it lasts....

http://www.carlton.ie/apprentice?__?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

downtown

Anyone ever stayed in Derrynane B&B Kerry? Much till do down round there??  Thinking of booking a weekend away and doing the horse riding.

Puckoon

Headed home in March, and taking the girlfriend with me - who's only previous trips to Ireland were a drunken weekend in Derry, and something similar in Dublin. Based in Omagh for the 11 days, and don't want to venture too far away (half a day's drive at most) but fancy a few nights somewhere costal. My provisinal plan was Donegal (Smugglers creek to be precise - but I see it only opens Thursday through Sunday until the summer season). I'd love a great costal view, good seafood and stout and a bit of music and good craic for a couple nights. Maybe a golf course near by to play a round with the auld fella?

Any ideas would be more than welcome.

Big Puff

Quote from: Puckoon on January 19, 2011, 06:21:47 PM
Headed home in March, and taking the girlfriend with me - who's only previous trips to Ireland were a drunken weekend in Derry, and something similar in Dublin. Based in Omagh for the 11 days, and don't want to venture too far away (half a day's drive at most) but fancy a few nights somewhere costal. My provisinal plan was Donegal (Smugglers creek to be precise - but I see it only opens Thursday through Sunday until the summer season). I'd love a great costal view, good seafood and stout and a bit of music and good craic for a couple nights. Maybe a golf course near by to play a round with the auld fella?

Any ideas would be more than welcome.

Portrush/portstewart?

could also show her the giants causeway when your up that part of the country

Puckoon

I'm not being a smart arse here - I was in portrush as a child but I don't remember it. I do however have a (probably completely incorrect) preconception that it is an awful shithole?

Big Puff

Quote from: Puckoon on January 19, 2011, 06:24:52 PM
I'm not being a smart arse here - I was in portrush as a child but I don't remember it. I do however have a (probably completely incorrect) preconception that it is an awful shithole?

not 100% sure of the area myself, meant to be a grand spot though. There are lots of local towns such as ballycastle worth a visit, im sure there is some nice hotels in the area too.

It also has great golfing!

FL/MAYO

Ballyliffen would be a good spot, great golf, on the coast and great scenery close by.I stayed in the ballyliffen lodge hotel last summer, it's a nice hotel. Follow the signs for the Inishowen 100 to see the scenery.

http://www.ballyliffinlodge.com/

http://www.ballyliffingolfclub.com/

Also Westport would be a good spot even though it's a bit further of a drive.

Puckoon

FL - Could you take in Fintra and Killybegs if based out of ballyliffin?

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Puckoon on January 19, 2011, 08:15:08 PM
FL - Could you take in Fintra and Killybegs if based out of ballyliffin?

At least a two hour drive, other end of the county. If you could find a nice hotel in the killybegs area, you would have the golf at Portnoo, and the great scenery from killybegs into Glencolmcille, slieve league, Silver Strand etc. I stayed at the Tara hotel in Killybegs, it was grand, good location and clean,  ask for a room over looking the harbor. Some nice restaurants within 5 miles of the town, someone mentioned a nice one on St Johns point but I forgot the name. Some of these places could be closed in the off season.

takeyourownpath

Quote from: Canalman on August 13, 2009, 02:49:56 PM
TB, take train to Connolly Station and then the Luas to either Museum stop or Heuston. Zoo is a 10/15 min walk and kids would prob enjoy the Luas.
Personally, would advise you to take kids on a boat trip to the islands off Howth (from Howth harbour). Bring the camera with you.

you're going to laugh but me and the other half were on our way to dublin zoo with the wee bucks about a year and a half ago, got lost and ended up in Howth, gorgeous town, absolutely loved it, not much to do unless you're taking a boat trip, except a paddy power bookies and a mauds icecream cafe!

Puckoon

FL  - Cheers, Ill bear that in mind. Ballyliffin looks lovely however.

TYP - Thank you for the invitation, unfortunately it is just a 2 weeks too early for me. I would love to stop by and see the school though on my trip.