The Blue Book

Started by Blue and Navy, September 08, 2008, 07:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Had Dublin won the AI then much like Big Joe's half time speech in 2002, it would've been hailed as a masterstroke.

For posters from certain counties to question mgt advocating such an approach, when their own counties have questionable approaches advocated by their own mgt, is a bit dubious and hypocritical tbh..

time ticking away

canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Gnevin

As they said their is a fine line between madness and genius. Master-stroke and  blunder.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

reddgnhand

DUBSFORSAM1 will not like this. He's against all that kind of stuff. :P

Frank Casey

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 08, 2008, 07:45:29 PM
The profundities of Bruce Lee, General George Patton, Confucius, Arnold Schwarzeneggar, Isaac Newton, Churchill, JFK, Gandhi are all invoked within as a kind of booklet-form mission statement for the modern Dub.

So Hollywood is going to win the All Ireland for them ::)
KERRY 3:7

heffo

Quote from: Frank Casey on September 08, 2008, 08:54:27 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 08, 2008, 07:45:29 PM
The profundities of Bruce Lee, General George Patton, Confucius, Arnold Schwarzeneggar, Isaac Newton, Churchill, JFK, Gandhi are all invoked within as a kind of booklet-form mission statement for the modern Dub.

So Hollywood is going to win the All Ireland for them ::)

It has'nt held Dooher back  ;)

Jinxy

Did Armagh not have some sort of red book a few years back?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Puckoon

Quote from: heffo on September 08, 2008, 08:38:18 PM
Had Dublin won the AI then much like Big Joe's half time speech in 2002, it would've been hailed as a masterstroke.

For posters from certain counties to question mgt advocating such an approach, when their own counties have questionable approaches advocated by their own mgt, is a bit dubious and hypocritical tbh..

Ack Heffo - no way, the excerpts from that book are pure madness. Whoever came up with that blue book needs no further roles in management. There are ways to install an unbeatable team bonding and ethos without having your team sign up to some sort of contract (complete with whitness co signers), and under threat of having their blue book taken away from them if their discipline waivers.

I would love to hear the thoughts of Micko, Paudie, Jason Ryan, Mickey Harte, Joe Kernan and their peers on that. Id find it hard to imagine they would endorse it.

muppet

Quote from: Gnevin on September 08, 2008, 08:44:52 PM
As they said their is a fine line between madness and genius. Master-stroke and  blunder.

Not so much a fine line as a Pillar.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

To be honest, I got tired of all that Vince Lombardi bullsh*t years ago. Meaningless stuff. There is far too much emotion involved in gaelic games preparation if you ask me. Thats why we get teams completely flopping on the big day so often. They have to be whipped into some kind of cannibalistic frenzy before they can play with any kind of intensity. It's interesting that the notable exceptions to this, Tyrone and Kerry in football and Kilkenny in hurling are the most successful yet have the least expressive managers win, lose or draw. Roaring and shouting will only get you so far. Ask Davy Fitz.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

irunthev

Clive Woodward had a similar thing going for the England team for many years.  It was one of the first things he introduced. No doubt it wasn't an original idea of his either. It's true what Hogan says. There is a serious  lack of original thought out there among many managers. Far too many imitators and not enough innovators

omagh_gael

I think Armagh had some sort of training logbook going on but none of this wishy washy stirring the soul nonsense! I wonder wat the dub players made of the whole thing?  

JMohan

Quote from: irunthev on September 08, 2008, 09:34:39 PM
Clive Woodward had a similar thing going for the England team for many years.  It was one of the first things he introduced. No doubt it wasn't an original idea of his either. It's true what Hogan says. There is a serious  lack of original thought out there among many managers. Far too many imitators and not enough innovators
If you ask him about it he'll tell you it didn't work for them either!

brokencrossbar1

Nonsense, plain and simple.  Sport in general, and football in particular are simple games with simple codes.  To my mind there is only one rule you have to follow.  Do everything to get the next ball and use it properly when you do.  If more people broke the game down to the basics then football would be a better game, but tooo many people get wrapped up in tactics and fitness and psychobabble.

JMohan

Quote from: omagh_gael on September 08, 2008, 09:51:06 PM
I think Armagh had some sort of training logbook going on but none of this wishy washy stirring the soul nonsense! I wonder wat the dub players made of the whole thing?  
Yup they had - but not all used it...

Almost every county in Ulster has one, so it's good to see the Dubs caught up 5 years on