Waterford fans let the team down.....

Started by furboot, September 08, 2008, 01:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furboot

As a neutral it was easy to enjoy watching Kilkenny at their finest yesterday - there was only one team on the pitch and it was fantastic too see a display of hurling that most of us will never see the likes of again. It was a much different match to what we all expected but no matter who the opposition were yesterday there was only going to be one result. Kilkenny didn't need any opposition to put them under pressure - they manage do it to themselves.
Based on what I saw I have no citicism of DF or the Waterford team but I do have a gripe with the droves of Waterford fans who exited Croke Park before the end. Surely your team deserves better than that - no team deserves to see their supporters walking out, bad enough to be at the end of a beating without your own turning their backs. Looking around the stadium in the last 5-10 minutes was sad to see so many emty seats.
The 'real' fans did stay and i'm sure were just as disgusted with the walk-out of so many 'fair-weather' supporters. The same fans are likely to be throwing negative comments on their team around like confetti today. And with tickets are so hard to get the least that should be expected from those lucky enough to get one is to stay for the full match - there are many others would love to have been there yesterday.A s I say I was neutral and could appreciate but can understand that the emotions of Waterford supporters might be very different but that is no excuse to walk.
It's not the first time this has happened at big matches (and not referring to Waterford only) but is an awful practice!!

Minder

There were loads left at half time, what is the point in paying 70 euro for a ticket and leaving halfway through?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

On the flip side of this lads, James McGarry got a fantastic reception from both sets of supporters when he came on. Both sets, including the Waterford crowd, who must have been numb at what was going on.

That did them and their county proud.

heffo

Absolutely - he seemed to get an almost universal standing ovation..

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 08, 2008, 01:53:36 PM
On the flip side of this lads, James McGarry got a fantastic reception from both sets of supporters when he came on. Both sets, including the Waterford crowd, who must have been numb at what was going on.

That did them and their county proud.

Definitely a very nice gesture and who says Cody has no sentiment ???

The only down side was when he let the sliothar in past him near the end.

Louth Exile

Sure why not just lock the gates and force them to stay until the end!!  ;)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

SLIGONIAN

Jees there an awful lot of negativity being brandished at waterford. Every county would have there sunshines leaving in droves yday. How many cork fans seen the last
2-2 against kerry in the drawn game alot. All the sunshines are the same and are in every county including my own. So give the waterford lads and lassies a break. Sad to be kicking them when there down. Fair play to the ones giving mcgarry a great ovation aswell.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

furboot

It's not intended to be negative to the Deise team and most of their fine supporters  - it is a point aimed at lots of counties. We have all seen bad days for our respective counties and seen the early exodus by the 'sunshines' - it was just so obvious yesterday.

It happens at lots of games and easy to explain away but point being made is that fans shouldn't walk out just when things aren't going right for the team - in fact that's the time to be making a point and staying put. It often leads to opposing fans gloating though Kilkenny fans could not be accused of that yesterday. 

From the Bunker

To be fair there seemed to be not too many seats empty on the TV with 10 or so minutes to go. There will always be fair weather supporters, that's life. They are never there for the dark days but in turn they never really get it when the sun shines.

orangeman

And to think of all the shite that was talked about tickets in the weeks running up to the matches.

Do you think the gravity of the defeat has sunk in yet in Waterford ??

Gnevin

For some it's just to hard to stand and watch. I know i wanted to leave the Dublin match so many times , i can understand why some just say i can't watch this any more and head  .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tatler Jack

Would have to say that surprisingly few left considering the hammering they were getting. It was mainly Waterford supporters that were in the section where I was and none of them left. Maybe the TV cameras focused on some leaving but I looking around with 5 mins to go most Waterford supporters were still there suffering

muppet

There are some frequent complaints on this site:

Attack fans who leave early when their team is being hockeyed, (this is a free country)

Blame soccer/rugby/tiddly winks for bad influences, (we have an open economy with a free media, in theory)

Whinging about ticket prices that there are people who would give an arm or a leg to get a hold of. (a proper free market would have tickets prices much higher)

This begs the questionis the Gaa ideal a communist/protectionist one?

MWWSI 2017

jjjshabadoojnr

I was sitting in the lower deck of the davin stand and saw maybe 6 waterford fans leaving around the 65 min mark, however the majority stayed put - fair play to them. The one thing that seriously pised me off was a father and son from Kilkenny sitting beside me who left 15 mins in to the 2nd half and were just so blaise about the whole thing - "Its not enjoyable anymore, we are too good ?" was one of the quotes I got!! Christ being a Sligo man I dont think i will ever have to worry about saying something like that!!
The only team that could have put it up to them yesterday would be their second 15 - a serious team indeed.

zoyler

I left with 6/7 minutes to go and was one of the first cars out of O'Connells.  I just could not watch ity any longer! It was like car crash television and an absolute disaster for hurling in general and Waterford in particular.  NotKilkennys fa\ult that there so good but bad for the game that the redt are so far behind.  Even more then the football the lack of balance in the provinces makes it a lot easier for the Cats to prepare and time their run while the rest are knocking each other out.