Who will the Waterford players blame for this.

Started by Stay goalside of your man, September 07, 2008, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on September 09, 2008, 01:53:46 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 09, 2008, 01:50:26 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 09, 2008, 01:31:21 PM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 09, 2008, 01:24:40 PM
Quote from: Minder on September 08, 2008, 11:11:40 PM
I dont think i have ever seen a player regress as badly as Shanahan from last year to this.

I think for anyone thats watched Shanahan over the years, the last 3 seasons were the anomaly, not this year. He was always no better than an average hurler (remember he never even got a championship start for his first few years on the panel), until one year he obviously trained his hole off over the winter, came back lean and determined, managed to keep it up for 3 years, and bagged himself a couple of allstars and a hurler of the year award (though I'd argue he didn't deserve that). This year we saw the Dan of old. I'd be surprised if we ever see the Dan of the last 3 years again.
[/b]

What age is he ?

He seems to have a lot of weight on - maybe the manner of the defeat will spur him onm to shed a few pounds.

The player of the year award lat year took its toll - too many presentation dinners.

He's 31. My missus is from Dungarvan and he's a friend of one of her mates down there - nice bloke and I've never seen him have more than a few pints.

It's the big dinners that have done the harm !  ;) :D

He probably is a real nice lad - I wonder foes he regret the public humiliation of Justin when he was taken off ??

Well I'm not privvy to his eating habits, so can't comment.

I'd imagine he does regret it - the snub was bad form and McCarthy deserved better.

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on September 09, 2008, 01:57:23 PM
I dont think i have ever seen a player regress as badly as Shanahan from last year to this.

I think for anyone thats watched Shanahan over the years, the last 3 seasons were the anomaly, not this year. He was always no better than an average hurler (remember he never even got a championship start for his first few years on the panel), until one year he obviously trained his hole off over the winter, came back lean and determined, managed to keep it up for 3 years, and bagged himself a couple of allstars and a hurler of the year award (though I'd argue he didn't deserve that). This year we saw the Dan of old. I'd be surprised if we ever see the Dan of the last 3 years again.
[/b]

What age is he ?

He seems to have a lot of weight on - maybe the manner of the defeat will spur him onm to shed a few pounds.

The player of the year award lat year took its toll - too many presentation dinners.

He's 31. My missus is from Dungarvan and he's a friend of one of her mates down there - nice bloke and I've never seen him have more than a few pints.

He probably is a real nice lad - I wonder foes he regret the public humiliation of Justin when he was taken off ??

I'd imagine he does regret it - the snub was bad form and McCarthy deserved better.

If I were him now, I'd try and heal the wounds of that episode by coming out with some statement to the effect that the sacking of Justin was vey regreatable etc etc - From what I hear, Waterford could be coming up against a Justin Mc Carthy team next year. LOCATION ??? Not too far from Waterford !  ;)

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on September 09, 2008, 02:03:17 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 09, 2008, 01:57:23 PM

[/b]

What age is he ?

If I were him now, I'd try and heal the wounds of that episode by coming out with some statement to the effect that the sacking of Justin was vey regreatable etc etc - From what I hear, Waterford could be coming up against a Justin Mc Carthy team next year. LOCATION ??? Not too far from Waterford !  ;)

I would say McCarthy will be tearing his hair out trying to mind that lot

orangeman

I think Mc Carthy will be quite looking forward to the challenge - where do you think Justin will end up in ?

heffo

Well he's on the shortlist for the Limerick job, Franko is not going to give him the job again after passing him over so many times, and he sure as hell aint going back to Waterford so Limerick?

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on September 09, 2008, 02:52:35 PM
Well he's on the shortlist for the Limerick job, Franko is not going to give him the job again after passing him over so many times, and he sure as hell aint going back to Waterford so Limerick?

I'm told Cork !  So let's see !

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on September 09, 2008, 03:04:47 PM
Quote from: heffo on September 09, 2008, 02:52:35 PM

I'm told Cork !  So let's see !

Hadn't heard that, but it'll be interesting if he does.

orangeman

Cork and Waterford with Mc Carthy and Fitzy in charge - lovely !

I see where Fitzy says in his autobiography that he didn't like Mc Carthy as he felt he wasn't very friendly towards Fitzy and his father some match or another - did you read this ?

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on September 09, 2008, 03:46:02 PM

I see where Fitzy says in his autobiography that he didn't like Mc Carthy as he felt he wasn't very friendly towards Fitzy and his father some match or another - did you read this ?

I think Fitzy said that McCarthy didn't 'salute' him and his father at a game in Thurles..

Minder

Quote from: heffo on September 09, 2008, 03:54:04 PM

I think Fitzy said that McCarthy didn't 'salute' him and his father at a game in Thurles..

What did he want, a five gun salute?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

dodo

Quote from: Minder on September 09, 2008, 03:55:49 PM

What did he want, a five gun salute?

Nah, I'd say one bullet would do it.

:P

orangeman

When was his book written ? It was before his appointment in Waterford ??

A salute was probably the wrong word to use. Maybe Mc Carthy didn't see him or recognise him ??

heffo

Quote from: orangeman on September 09, 2008, 04:17:36 PM

A salute was probably the wrong word to use. Maybe Mc Carthy didn't see him or recognise him ??

The book came out either last autumn or the autumn before - Jackie Cahill ghost wrote it afair..

Read an extract in one of the papers last week..

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on September 09, 2008, 04:32:15 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 09, 2008, 04:17:36 PM

The book came out either last autumn or the autumn before - Jackie Cahill ghost wrote it afair..

Read an extract in one of the papers last week..

Jesus, he really took that "non salute" very badly when he deemed it orthy of inclusion in his book - I get the impression he survives on a siege mentality ?? Maybe not !

Bud Wiser

QuoteI didn't quite catch the exact comments, but he wasn't enquiring of his health anyway..

:)  :)  :)

Thanks Heffo, I was just wondering.  Since Eddie was transferred to Portlaoise in his capacity as a Garda I thought that he might have picked up some of the bad habits from our lads down there.  I have to say the best part of that incident for me was the umpire laughing as he signalled for a 65 ' cause he was watching him kicking Eddie earlier and he called the other umpire over to see what to do. I was in City West yesterday and you would swear to jaysus that they were only kids and far from being as hard as the nails they are on the field.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"