Who will the Waterford players blame for this.

Started by Stay goalside of your man, September 07, 2008, 04:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stay goalside of your man

The Waterford players fecked Justin McCarthy out saying that they would not win an All-Ireland with him.

Who will they blame for today's performance now that he is gone?

INDIANA

the reality is justin wasn't far wrong. self delusion is a wonderful thing. wonder where's reillers? probably never hear fromhim again.

Dinny Breen

Class lads real class, sticking the boot in, quite sad really  ::)
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

not really -no-one spared a though for one of the best hurling men in the country when he was shamefully treated by the waterford players. I would have loved to see them win today but who did they beat to get there? The writing was on the wall after the clare game, offaly ,antrima nd wexford can't get within 20 points of the cats, why did we think waterford could? We all got carried away with the hype instead of looking at the form logically. Double figures wsa the only outcome in that game even beforehand if you analyse it correctly.

Dinny Breen

Two wrongs don't make a right, I believe that sticking the boot into a team after they lose the biggest games of their lives is just classless and will make no apologies for that.
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 07, 2008, 05:35:42 PM
Two wrongs don't make a right, I believe that sticking the boot into a team after they lose the biggest games of their lives is just classless and will make no apologies for that.

Seconded.
MWWSI 2017

mannix

its all so boring ,kk will win next year if they want.
Kerry will rip tyrone apart too, watch and see.
This amateur thing is lodged too deeply in some lads minds, how can a finalist be walloped so badly?
Just like Mayo, the waterford minds must be very soft.

orangeman

Quote from: Stay goalside of your man on September 07, 2008, 04:59:55 PM
The Waterford players fecked Justin McCarthy out saying that they would not win an All-Ireland with him.

Who will they blame for today's performance now that he is gone?

I'm not canacing on the graves of yesterday's defeat - but the Waterford players, when they shafted Mc Carthy out of the job, knew that if they failed, they would expect criticism. All the players involved in the coup to oust Mc Carthy conceded that this would be the case. So to get the biggest hammering of all time and to suffer this humiliation on All Ireland final day must bring criticism of some kind. If you're own county were to play in An All Ireland final and get beat by 23 points, there would be a lot of criticism of the players and management. So why not Waterford ? Why not Fitzgerald ?

Don't run away and hide from the fact that Waterford hurling was NEVER as humiliated as they were yesterday !

Had Justin Mc Carthy been in charge yesterday, what would have been said about him today ?

Finally, there is justice in the world ! The sight of Big Dan being taken off in the second half testerday, was a bit of justice after the disgraceful way Dan publicly insulted Justin when taken off against Clare. Dan was player of the year last year and obviously was not able to reproduce last year's form. Davy should have taken him off in other games, but his substitution yesterday was long overdue.

Who are they going to blame for yesterday ???? The truth is that it doesn't matter who they blame ! Cos nobody gives a shit !

AZOffaly

My overriding emotion in terms of Waterford is sadness for them. I'd hate anyone to start gloating when Offaly ship a beating like that, so I'd be the last to start gloating at Waterford today. They will feel sick, and I hope it doesn't scar their younger lads, but I'm afraid they might. Offaly are only now starting to get over some shocking maulings from the Cats a few years ago, to such an extent that being within 3 points at half time is deemed progress, no matter what the final score ends up.

Waterford won't have to face Kilkenny every year, which will help them to bounce back quicker.

Anyway, I think post mortems, doling out blame, and all the other armchair quarterback favourites should be left for later on. For now, all hail Kilkenny, and commiserate with a bunch of players and fans who have added colour, excitement and interest to the hurling championship, not just this year, but for the last 10 years.

Rub-a-dub-Dub

That surely was an awsome display but the question is, are Kilkenny so far out in fornt or are the other teams just not that good? I think they are that good, however, it is not good for teh game. It reminds me of the 50's when Real Madrid spent all the money on buying players to sit ont he bench just so they would not have to play against them!

Although Kilkenny is not buying players, obviously, there is a financial discrepancy here that nobody at the GAA seems to want to talk about. The fact of the matter is that there are counties out there who filter all of their funding into one sport. In Kilkenny's case it is hurling, most of the northern counties it is football. It is the same for most of the stronger hurling counties in the past, Tipp, Waterford, Limerick, they all may have football teams but in fairness, they are token teams to make up the numbers.

Now, if say Wexford dropped the football and concentrated on the hurling only, maybe Kilkenny would have a challenger in Leinster. I think the GAA needs to look at this as a mtatter of urgency, I do not believe this crap of them being 'Born with hurleys in their hands'. There needs to be a level playing field. Search online and I dare you to prove me wrong, a disproportionate number of sports grants go to hurling in Kilkenny, from the GAA and National Lottery etc. If we want to be serious about promoting our game it does not serve it well to have one team consistently winning championships, maybe the GAA needs to impliment a ruling to have a proportionate amout of their funding spent on other GAA sprorts in each county. This may level the playing field.

This is not a rant nor a jibe at Kilkenny, greatness should be recognised in every sport, but I feel the future of the game needs the run away teams to be curtailed in some way

orangeman

Quote from: Rub-a-dub-Dub on September 08, 2008, 09:41:04 AM
That surely was an awsome display but the question is, are Kilkenny so far out in fornt or are the other teams just not that good? I think they are that good, however, it is not good for teh game. It reminds me of the 50's when Real Madrid spent all the money on buying players to sit ont he bench just so they would not have to play against them!

Although Kilkenny is not buying players, obviously, there is a financial discrepancy here that nobody at the GAA seems to want to talk about. The fact of the matter is that there are counties out there who filter all of their funding into one sport. In Kilkenny's case it is hurling, most of the northern counties it is football. It is the same for most of the stronger hurling counties in the past, Tipp, Waterford, Limerick, they all may have football teams but in fairness, they are token teams to make up the numbers.

Now, if say Wexford dropped the football and concentrated on the hurling only, maybe Kilkenny would have a challenger in Leinster. I think the GAA needs to look at this as a mtatter of urgency, I do not believe this crap of them being 'Born with hurleys in their hands'. There needs to be a level playing field. Search online and I dare you to prove me wrong, a disproportionate number of sports grants go to hurling in Kilkenny, from the GAA and National Lottery etc. If we want to be serious about promoting our game it does not serve it well to have one team consistently winning championships, maybe the GAA needs to impliment a ruling to have a proportionate amout of their funding spent on other GAA sprorts in each county. This may level the playing field.

This is not a rant nor a jibe at Kilkenny, greatness should be recognised in every sport, but I feel the future of the game needs the run away teams to be curtailed in some way

SAME ANSWER AS BEFORE

What a load of balls !!!!!! Kilkenny don't win titles because they get grants or National Lottery funding ! They win titles because they've got the best hurlers around - Shefflin, Brennan, Larkin, Cha, Hickey,Walsh, JJ, Kvanagh etc etc etc !

Money has NOTHING to do with it !

I suppose Kerry get a pile of grants as well

Canalman

Very sorry for the Waterford supporters, sod all sympathy for the players. Treated a good hurling man very shabbily and Karma imo was at play yesterday.
The fallout will not be pretty down there. I know for a fact that alot of Waterford fans were embarassed at the treatment of McCarthy.......I was even told that it was the "City " players who planned the Palace Coup.

Cody ruthless as always didn't "empty the bench" yesterday, creating imo alot of annoyed panel members who will be really fired up next season. Even think I saw about 3 subs going straight into dressing rooms on TV before cup was presented.

orangeman

Quote from: Canalman on September 08, 2008, 09:49:50 AM
Very sorry for the Waterford supporters, sod all sympathy for the players. Treated a good hurling man very shabbily and Karma imo was at play yesterday.
The fallout will not be pretty down there. I know for a fact that alot of Waterford fans were embarassed at the treatment of McCarthy.......I was even told that it was the "City " players who planned the Palace Coup.

Cody ruthless as always didn't "empty the bench" yesterday, creating imo alot of annoyed panel members who will be really fired up next season. Even think I saw about 3 subs going straight into dressing rooms on TV before cup was presented.

Unreal - forgot about this. Jesus he's a serious man !

Rub-a-dub-Dub

SAME ANSWER AS BEFORE

What a load of balls !!!!!! Kilkenny don't win titles because they get grants or National Lottery funding ! They win titles because they've got the best hurlers around - Shefflin, Brennan, Larkin, Cha, Hickey,Walsh, JJ, Kvanagh etc etc etc !

Money has NOTHING to do with it !

I suppose Kerry get a pile of grants as well

[/quote]

Obviously you are reading what you want to read into this. I have quite clearly stated that I believe that Kilkenny are an amazing team of amazing players, and my boy, you are very nieve if you think GAA grants have nothing to do with how well a team does in championships.

Of course money has to do with it. In the late 80's a number of northern teams decided to opt out of fielding hurling teams at inter-county level and put all of the money into football. what do you remember most about football in the 90's? Do you remember all of those same teams running amok in the championship? Wake up lad, of course money has to do with it, you are probably still a believer that we have an amatuer game, all but in name it is professional.

Great players come through in Kilkenny in a disporportionate way deu to the fact that if you have every kid play only one sport, wou will find the gems like all the lads you mentioned. However, in a system where you have Football, Soccer and Rugby competing for thos kids, some that would be great hurlers would be lost to other codes and we would never know. That is my main point. If you have no other sports competing for the youth, you will of course find a lot of great players.

Rub-a-dub-Dub

And your point to the funding of Kerry, my point is proven here too, when did you last see the Kerry huring team, they have little or no funding because in Kerry it all goes into football, kids do not want to play anything else.