Ulster Scotch

Started by Square Ball, December 31, 2006, 10:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Surely this isnt a languague, someone is takin the piss, its like a mixture of Derry/North Antrim with west Belfast millie mixed in. have a lok an cee

Ulster Scots Phrase Book

Chapter One - Meeting and greeting people:
Chaipter Wan - Meetin an taakin tae fowk:

English / Inglish Ulster Scots / Ulster-Scotch
Hello!   Hi ye daen!
How are you?                  Whut aboot ye? ('bout ye? -- Ulster dialect)
Are you well?               Ir ye weel?
I'm fine                Naw [sae / oor] bad
I'm average --> good              Mair nor middlin
And you?                  Whut aboot yirsell?
Thanks / Thank you         Cheers / Thanks

What's your name?               Whut dae they caal ye?
Where do you come from?          Whur ir ye fae?
Where do you live?               Whur dae ye leeve at?

If you wish to emphasise a statement in Ulster Scots, you can simply add the tag 'hi' onto the end. For example:

"She?s qwur?n waarm theday, hi!"

"It is a very warm day today!"

ya couldee mak thon up
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

bignifanatic

Ulster scots has more people speaking it that the oirish language does. :)

Square Ball

Ballox, that isnt a proper languague FFS, look at the post i stuck on, its like its taken from the books of Norn Iron speak by your man Peddard or something like that.

DrinkingHarp

Seems to be more of a local dialect than a language. In Chicago if you go 30 miles outside the city limits the dialect changes from you's  to  you all.....just local speak.

I had a laugh looking at my post and had to add a reply.

In chicago most people tell you the distance from one point to another in minutes instead of miles. EX: how far is it from Comiskey Park to Keegan's Pub?   about thirty minutes depending on traffic.  Again local speak.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

This is an old chestnut, they (you know who you are!) bring this up occasionally when the Irish language is mentioned, Lord Laird Laird of Laird is the only one who seems to know what the F*ck the dialact means, I think that it's made up as they go along...
Oh by the way Nifanatic there are 90000 Irish speakers in the Six Counties, and about 20 Ulsteer Scootch speakers!
Tbc....

ziggysego

My brother-in-law is from Wales and he is setting up an adminstrative system for the British Government in Belfast. Most of the ones that work in the office in Belfast are from London, so when they got the Ulster-Scot 'translation' for all the literature that needs to be published, they all immediately thought it was the Irish playing a joke on the British. Nope... it was real lol
Testing Accessibility

magickingdom

"Ulster scots has more people speaking it that the oirish language does."

bignifanatic, 99% of your problems are caused by delusion. if your going to post wise up....

AZOffaly

Ulster scotch seems more like an accent than a language.

LaurelEye

Quote from: AZOffalyUlster scotch seems more like an accent than a language.

Surely yis are missing a trick down there in Pure Mule Country.

Get Biffo Cowen to hand over a couple of million for an Offaly Translation Board to be sited in, say, Ferbane. It's every bit as distinctive and incomprehensible a language as anything that the Laird Lord o Airtigerven has come up with so far and there must be someone in Shinrone or Shannonbridge whose rights are being trampled on by the Government's indifference to your distinctive culture.

LaurelEye, President-for-Life of the Mullinyarta-Scatch Langwitch Societie (currently seeking €20 million or so in grant aid to preserve our unique dialect that no-one else in Longford understands).
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Solomon Kane

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 01, 2007, 03:28:36 PM
Ulster scotch seems more like an accent than a language.

Scotch is a whiskey - not a language or a nationality. Ulster Scots however is just a cunning way for some people to get government hand-outs.

Mac hinery

The Ulster Scots translation for special needs children is 'wee dafties'.

That's some language!!

Square Ball

Wee dafties, bloody hell, if you or I said that in public about special needs children we would be in trouble, but call it Irish Scotch and its OK

'Nae Pairkin if ye dinnae leeve nearhaun'"[/b

the above is a sign, now i dont have any quilifications in this "Languague" but my guess is that it means No parking if you do not reside in this location"

ardal

b]'Nae Pairkin if ye dinnae leeve nearhaun'"[/b

Or is it  "one is not allowed to park if one does not leave an acceptable sum (naafin) of money"?

ziggysego

Quote from: Mac hinery on January 01, 2007, 08:53:30 PM
The Ulster Scots translation for special needs children is 'wee dafties'.

Please tell me that's a joke.
Testing Accessibility

Square Ball

It doesnt seem to be a joke, cant find an online dictionary yet, if anyone else does stick a link up