Ulster Scotch

Started by Square Ball, December 31, 2006, 10:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Flameboys response to evil genius-----your idea that the indigenous people of ireland are not of celtic origin will surely be news to all historians and anthropologists who have worked on this issue in the past....
Im afraid Flameboy, that Evil Genius is much better educated in this field than you appear to be. No reputable Historian or anthropologist has ever claimed or would ever claim that the indigenous people of this island were Celtic. You must have been reading a history Book printed in Ulster Scots and misinterpreted the relevant parts.  Easily done, your not to blame, sure even the Linenhall Library dont have a book or dictionary of Ulster Scots. Even poor Lord Laird has to conduct all his interviews in the Queens English, lest he appear foolish

lynchbhoy

if ulster scots (or scotch) is a language
then so must 'gangsta' , 'hip-hop', ' american' and 'cockney' also be 'languages.

its just slang that has become part of the lingo.
I find it highly amusing.
Its just english for the uneducated  !

'wee dafties' though still is the best yest...

SammyG

Quote from: hardstation on August 31, 2007, 07:05:09 PM
It's also strange that Mairtin O Muilleoir applied for a job in the Ulster Scots society a few years ago and got it. or the first
Nearly as strange as the fact that he was Marty Miller for most of his life before he decided to Gaelicise it a few years ago.  ;)

Aerlik

Ulster-Scots???  U.S.  UnServiceable ::)

There can never be any justifiable claim for "ulster-scots" to be a language.  It's only a dialect at best.  Where I'm from our accent is always taken to be Scottish, even though i'm from eastern Co. Derry. I can quite easily go to Ballymoney, Broughshane, Stranocum, Bushmills, Glenarm, Cushendall or wherever and understand perfectly what is being said and reply in kind.  To claim this accent as a language would be like calling blue-collar, ocker Aussie English as a separate language.  The differences between the accents of Perth and country Western Australia is quite noticeable especially within different socio-demographic groups.  Aboriginal English is not classed as a separate language but yet the intonation, vocabulary and syntax are very different.  The proponents of U(n)S(erviceable) are really clutching at straws.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

ziggysego

I was kinda bored there, so I looked up what the Ulster Scot for Londonderry is.

Low and behold, it's Derry!!  :D
Testing Accessibility

lynchbhoy

MW

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 04, 2007, 05:16:46 PM
.....wee dafties  :D :D

That, by the way, is an apocryphal story.

Square Ball

Quote from: MW on October 04, 2007, 05:27:42 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 04, 2007, 05:16:46 PM
.....wee dafties  :D :D

That, by the way, is an apocryphal story.

had to look it up

1. of doubtful authorship or authenticity. 
2. Ecclesiastical. a. (initial capital letter) of or pertaining to the Apocrypha. 
b. of doubtful sanction; uncanonical. 

3. false; spurious: He told an apocryphal story about the sword, but the truth was later revealed. 
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

MW

Glad to have introduced you to that one ;)

The "dafty weans" story has gained widespread currency but it seems it was effectively invented by the BBC. According to friend of mine in DCAL, the BBC person who came up with this one was asked where they'd got it from, said they "were sure they'd read it somewhere" but could never actually turn up a source.

Rois

Quote from: MW on October 05, 2007, 01:46:22 PM
Glad to have introduced you to that one ;)

The "dafty weans" story has gained widespread currency but it seems it was effectively invented by the BBC. According to friend of mine in DCAL, the BBC person who came up with this one was asked where they'd got it from, said they "were sure they'd read it somewhere" but could never actually turn up a source.

Could you maybe ask your friend then what the actual word(s) for mentally disabled children is then as I'm interested to know why it hasn't been publicly disputed before this.  I could have sworn I read it on a job application for a teaching post in the newspaper but I may be wrong.

MW

I'll ask him though he doesn't work in the languages section himself, just alongside those who do.

I'd assumed the story was true myself before being corrected. If it was though, you'd assume it would for example show up somewhere on a google search. But I googled "dafty weans" just there and have a look at the results:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=%22dafty+weans%22&btnG=Search&meta=

Only five results, none of them a first hand quote. Indeed two of the results are references on Slugger O'Toole citing the story as an example of an urban myth.

(BTW as an aside I think 'learning disabled' is the correct term in English).

MW

Quote from: hardstation on October 05, 2007, 02:25:30 PM
QuoteI'll ask him though he doesn't work in the languages section himself, just alongside those who do.
Oh aye, half an hour ago he was an expert but now he knows fcuk all. ::)
Wind up!

Neither the first half nor the second half of your sentence is true.

FFS why can't you just learn to read properly?

his holiness nb

Was it not "wee dafties" as opposed to "dafty weans" ?
Ask me holy bollix

MW

Quote from: hardstation on October 05, 2007, 02:32:13 PM
No, I always heard it was 'dafty weans'.
Quote from: MW on October 05, 2007, 02:27:08 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 05, 2007, 02:25:30 PM
QuoteI'll ask him though he doesn't work in the languages section himself, just alongside those who do.
Oh aye, half an hour ago he was an expert but now he knows fcuk all. ::)
Wind up!

Neither the first half nor the second half of your sentence is true.

FFS why can't you just learn to read properly?
It was a joke and I told you that in the post. Can you not read?

Apologies, I took "wind up" to mean that I was on the wind up.