My grammer isnt wild good so its not.

Started by Puckoon, September 03, 2008, 07:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homer

A shop owner of Smith and Sons hired a man to design a sign for the shop window. After doing up a quick draft the signwriter presented it back to the shop-owner and asked him for some feedback to which the shop-owner replied "I want more space between Smith and And and And and Sons".

Hardy

Feetofflames - I didn't know that - don't remember it. Since it's a real quote it's better than the original.

Homer - that's the original I had in  mind.

Homer

Yeah think we had it on this board before along with this one...

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Hardy

Puckoon

Quote from: Hardy on September 04, 2008, 11:38:19 AM
What good are wooden nails?

While we're at it: construct a sentence wherein it's correct to use the word 'and' five times successively (i.e. with no other words between the five 'ands').

You have drawn that sign incorrectly - there are no words between Marks and and, and and, and Spencers.

ONeill

Mickey And fathered 15 sons. They all were terrific footballers and lined out for Bellewstown. Mickey was a proud man when the senior manager, Mr Hardy, announced the side for Sunday's championship game against Bettystown. Hardy cleared his considerable chest and read out the teamsheet: 'And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And and And. Subs are Giles, Stafford, McEntee, O'Rourke and Fay.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ONeill on September 04, 2008, 03:24:20 PM
Mickey And fathered 15 sons. They all were terrific footballers and lined out for Bellewstown. Mickey was a proud man when the senior manager, Mr Hardy, announced the side for Sunday's championship game against Bettystown. Hardy cleared his considerable chest and read out the teamsheet: 'And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And, And and And, and the subs are Giles, Stafford, McEntee, O'Rourke and Fay.

One more for good measure!

Mentalman

Quote from: Puckoon on September 03, 2008, 08:31:42 PM
Quote from: gallsman on September 03, 2008, 07:47:59 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on September 03, 2008, 07:18:53 PM
fix the following sentence.......

dad will leave you the tools wood and nails

Direct speech, so presumably inverted commas and a comma to seperate "tools" and "wood"? Dad referring to a specific person so should be capitalised? Regardless, it;s the start of the sentence.

"Dad will leave you the tools, wood and nails."???

Well Im glad you think so, some clown is insisting that there is also a comma after wood.

Americanization. Spread by Microsoft Word default spellchecking.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

rosnarun

how about

dad will leave you the tools? wood and nails?
or
dad will leave you the tools! wood and nails.
or
dad, will leave you the tools  wood and nails?
and many more

in other words there is no correct grammar  or even spelling in this world only prefered ones seeing as how Fowler and the BBC don't even always see eye to eye .
Just make yourself under stood
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

illdecide

How about "f**k off Dad and do it yourself" ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

dodo

Quote from: Puckoon on September 04, 2008, 02:55:29 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 04, 2008, 11:38:19 AM
What good are wooden nails?

While we're at it: construct a sentence wherein it's correct to use the word 'and' five times successively (i.e. with no other words between the five 'ands').

You have drawn that sign incorrectly - there are no words between Marks and and, and and, and Spencers.

Surely the 2 commas should not be in this sentence as the third and links them.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 03, 2008, 09:18:08 PM
QuoteWell Im glad you think so, some clown is insisting that there is also a comma after wood.
Who? gnevin?

My suggestion  ;)
dad will leave you the tools wood and nails
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Puckoon

Dodo - you may be right, but dont call me surely.

armaghniac

You can read Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

There was the famous line by Charlie Haughy
"I have done the State some service"

this was incorrectly punctuated, it should have been
"I have done the State. Some service!"

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

dodo