My grammer isnt wild good so its not.

Started by Puckoon, September 03, 2008, 07:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Tony Baloney

I'd use gallsmans edition without the comma before the and. I use the comma to separate all the items up until the last item which gets an and. It's amazing the stuff you comment on on this board! Speaking of, is it bad form to use "on on"?

Puckoon

Tony - you'd be right according to wikipedia if you were an advocate of "British English" where the oxford (or harvard) comma isnt advocated. I guess the fact that the person insisting there is another comma there is an American (American English advocates the use of that extra comma) is where the argument arose in the first instance.

Heganboy - what line are you taking with your half large bowel?

Pangurban

Puckoon your use of the deeply offensive and derogatory word Retard, to describe those with learning disabilities, or others who do not meet your exacting standards of grammar, suggest that it is you who are educationally challenged. Should we now refer to you as a retard

Puckoon

ONeill

Dad will leave you the tools: wood and nails.

(If you consider wood and nails to be tools)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

A pressure group forced the change in the title of this self depreciating thread.

Feel free to assume I meant self deprecating.

ONeill

Or  -

Dad will leave: you, the tools, wood and nails.

(not much of a threat though)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Pangurban

Maith Thu Puckoon, you have redeemed yourself

Bogball XV

Hardy

What good are wooden nails?

While we're at it: construct a sentence wherein it's correct to use the word 'and' five times successively (i.e. with no other words between the five 'ands').

feetofflames

At the time we had looked at a number of names for the group; ie The commitments and, and and and, and to tell ye the truth we couldnt agree on where to put the comma in and and and and to be honest it sounded brutal so we decided to go with the name The Commitments
....twenty years on Jimmy Rabitte candidly talks about his experiences in setting up the hardest working band in Dublin in an interview for Hotpress magazine. 
any spare tickets in Meath?  :-*
Chief Wiggum

Hardy

That's better than the old answer, in that you could have as many 'ands' as you'd like in that scenario.

feetofflames

Based on hard facts Hardy - Can you remember the line  by Jimmy Rabitte - "And, And f**king And"
Chief Wiggum

Over the Bar

Dad, you wooden leave the tools & nails will you?