Donegals next manager?

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, September 02, 2008, 11:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think will get the "poison" chalice? Two extra options added!

Declan Bonner
2 (4.9%)
Charlie Mulgrew
14 (34.1%)
John Joe Doherty
4 (9.8%)
Michael Houston
1 (2.4%)
Francie Martin
4 (9.8%)
Jim McGuinness
2 (4.9%)
Donegal County Board are making a laughing stock of themselves and the rest of the county!
14 (34.1%)
Brian McEniff
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

With the departure of Brian McIver (did he sulk?), I was just wondering who would take over one of the most unenviable jobs in football!
As said on another thread, McIver did bring a new sense of discipline and responcibility to the team, hopefully the man who takes over the job will keep up these, it will take a person with a strong personality.
The first name that comes to mind is Martin McHugh, also throw in Charlie Mulgrew and Big Joe, interesting times ahead.

Wondering what everyone elses opinions are regarding this?
Tbc....

screenexile

To be honest I still have a small bit of respect for McHugh and his achievements but if he bottles out of the Donegal job this time I will have lost all respect for him. I think it's time he either put up or shut up!

full back

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 02, 2008, 11:08:25 AM
With the departure of Brian McIver (did he sulk?), I was just wondering who would take over one of the most unenviable jobs in football!
As said on another thread, McIver did bring a new sense of discipline and responcibility to the team, hopefully the man who takes over the job will keep up these, it will take a person with a strong personality.
The first name that comes to mind is Martin McHugh, also throw in Charlie Mulgrew and Big Joe, interesting times ahead.

Wondering what everyone elses opinions are regarding this?

If Joe wouldnt consider the Dublin job, there is little or no chance of him going for the Donegal job

Bensars

Was there not something about Martin Mc Hugh refusing the job previously due to a dispute with county board member(s)and that these member (s) are now no longer part of the equation.

Or did i just dream that ?

MrC

McHugh's health will not allow him to take the job, expect Mulgrew to be the favourite.
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

ONeill

Jody Gormley's yer man. 2 finals in 2 years, lifting silverware. Big game experience at Croke Park. All-Ireland finalist and scorer as a player, carrying the others alongside PTG. Underage success. Getting closer to the Omagh office.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

To be honest I don't think there will be an awful ot of outside men looking for it -anyone who has an interest will no doubt give Brian Mc Ivor a call and I'd say they could be enlightened.

Off The Fence

O'Neill might be on the money here with Gormley.  They could do alot worse!  But surely the county board will want to put their stamp on the manager and he will have to play by their rules.  Bit of a mirror image to Derry if you ask me.

Would Mr Martin McHugh please step forward?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: MrC on September 02, 2008, 11:40:44 AM
McHugh's health will not allow him to take the job, expect Mulgrew to be the favourite.

MrC whats the story with McHugh?
Tbc....

MrC

He recently had his third hip replacement done and wouldn't I don't think be in a fit state to take on the job.
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

screenexile

AH sure lb just got that done and he's back running after those underage teams around Blanch like a mad eejit! I don't think a hip replacement could stop you from being a football manager in all fairness!

J70

Assuming McHugh is not interested, Mulgrew would be the obvious favourite. There are a few other boys from the 90s teams in club management as well, such as Declan Bonner (three years previous experience at this level), Jim McGuinness, Tony Boyle, James McHugh and so on.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: screenexile on September 02, 2008, 12:45:04 PM
AH sure lb just got that done and he's back running after those underage teams around Blanch like a mad eejit! I don't think a hip replacement could stop you from being a football manager in all fairness!
that is correct, 3 months on and the hip is fine. McHugh should be fitter and lighter than me so this wont be a problem - as long as its after 3 or 4 months - which by next season it will be.
Mchugh realises that if he takes the donegal job, he can no longer pontificate should he fail. Plus a lucrative year or two away from the tv studio wont appeal to him (and that jarlath burns can say what he likes with no mchugh to keep him 'grounded' would get to wee martin!)

Oneill - you might be a fat ugly ol hoor, but that jody gormley craic you and your school buddy keep conjuring up is actually funny!
(for a change  ;) :D)

JMohan

Kevin Keegan is free isn't he?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Have a notion that Declan Bonner's name will be in the pot soon enough!
Tbc....