Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

So far ,so good, excellent second edition. would query the value of the County report pages, as the local papers do that much better and more exhaustively, also there is little interest in reading about club news in Counties other than your own. Overall good value for a pound, looking forward to next edition

supersarsfields

We had our Club dinner dance on Saturday nite and was greeted to Gaelic Life pens and mini calanders on the tables. So they seem to be making a good effort on promoting it anyway!!
Fingers crossed it'll last. Now wouldn't be busiest time of the year in the GAA calander so it'll be interesting to see how it goes when the League starts up.

SamWheagle

Quote from: ClosetotheHarte on January 14, 2007, 12:14:01 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 13, 2007, 11:34:08 PM
Instead of the ex-player approach (many of whom will still keep their powder dry for various reasons), I'd rather see the emergence of a northern Humphries.
As you also say O'Neill, I remember The Game having a lot of personalities in the early days but they soon began to disappear before the paper followed suit. Knowing what some ex-playing managers charge for taking a club team I'd say a lot of the big names in papers are also on the expensive side.
As for Brolly's "highly amusing articles" I was wondering if he had started taking drugs when he talked about crowds of half-naked fanatical Tyrone people beating their chests and chanting Canavan's name across town centres in Tyrone every Saturday and holding posters of Art in the air!!!
I know he can be amusing all right but that was strange, very strange.

Ah come on man, he was joking, he was merely drawing an amusing comparison between Tyrones fanatical support to the scenes you see in the middle east with fanatical supporters of the factions there.

realredhandfan

I like Brolly, Im not a major fan of Ulster Hurling, handball, Camogie and Rounders.  I read lots and i am always interested in what happens in Tyrone and to a much lesser extent, Derry, Armagh, Down, Antrim, Monaghan, Fermanagh, Donegal and Cavan in that order.  I dont miss Tyrone games and enjoy nothing more than reading articles about the GAA, controversial GAA issues, culture, history and Tyrone.  Barry Dunnion dosent interest me so much.  I watch 2 - 4 GAA games every weekend, if this paper is not for me, then who is it for? Last night I realised, I just still havent read the first one completely never mind the second.  Why?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: realredhandfan on January 16, 2007, 01:25:59 PM
I like Brolly, Im not a major fan of Ulster Hurling, handball, Camogie and Rounders.  I read lots and i am always interested in what happens in Tyrone and to a much lesser extent, Derry, Armagh, Down, Antrim, Monaghan, Fermanagh, Donegal and Cavan in that order.  I dont miss Tyrone games and enjoy nothing more than reading articles about the GAA, controversial GAA issues, culture, history and Tyrone.  Barry Dunnion dosent interest me so much.  I watch 2 - 4 GAA games every weekend, if this paper is not for me, then who is it for? Last night I realised, I just still havent read the first one completely never mind the second.  Why?

you cant read ?

do i win a prize?
;)

cavanmaniac

Got my first look at this recently and am impressed. A few typos and what have you, wrong captions etc. letting the side down a bit still but a damn fine effort overall and if it ever makes its way on to Dublin shelves I'd buy it most weeks, especially when championship comes around.

ClosetotheHarte

Quote from: SamWheagle on January 16, 2007, 11:45:26 AM
Ah come on man, he was joking, he was merely drawing an amusing comparison between Tyrones fanatical support to the scenes you see in the middle east with fanatical supporters of the factions there.

There was me thinking Brolly was serious! I know what he was trying to do but I still found this bit strange rather than amusing. I do like Brolly BTW and he can often be very amusing. He's also the first page in GL I would turn to for a bit of reading.

never kickt a ball

Found this thread on page 3? Has anyone read it yet. I forgot it was out this am  :'(

Square Ball

Just sitting down to it now, headline is " The Enforcers"  Is there still a place for Hard men in the modern game. familiar that
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

SlimShady

not as good as the last couple, still-not bad at all.

headline of ENFORCERS and a pic of McMenamin.

full back

Looks as though the journalists of GL are avid readers of this website.
Surely they cant be stuck for ideas already!!

Mid Mon

what time is it out at? wasnt in castleblayney at 10'o clock

Square Ball

Got mine in Belfast at 07:15 this morning
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Chompinatthebit

I bought it for the last time today. very poor stuff. might leave it for a few months and try again about may or june when championship time has arrived to see does it get any better. Todays gaa coverage is way behind the Irish News and this is a complete gaa paper. The piece on top 5 hardmen of football at the minute is a joke - it includes Francie Bellew (no problem there), Tomas O'Se (debatable), Kevin Cassidy (definitely not but could argue a case), Ryan McMenamin (not the cleanest player but not a hard-man in the mould of Bellew) and wait for it - Paul Brady (Cavan) - Are they having a laugh!
I have also scanned over most other pieces and they are as bland and bad as you could get. Bad stuff all round and although it continues to look good and may possibly have potential (and I'm not saying it wouldnt appeal to others) - it just isn't for me anyway. Not in the same league for readable content as any of the dailies or the sundays. Good luck all the same and I hope it works out.

ziggysego

I was pleased to see Jarlath Burns telling everyone about the good night out with Greencastle. :D
Testing Accessibility