Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

That's what I mean - GSU didn't appeal to the mainstream. It targeted niche audiences - ie GAA colleges in England/Scotland, London GAA and college and school children over here, and nailed them in terms of subscriptions. In terms of overseas gaels, they'll snap up any GAA coverage they can. Schools and colleges here love to read about themselves as where else does that happen in coloured print. A remarkable total of schools subscribe to it.

GL is attempting to target the mainstream GAA supporter. That is ambitious and I sincerely hope it becomes part of the staple diet for GAA followers. The big test will be when you buy it on a Friday as well as the Irish News. What will you turn to first for GAA news? The day I open the GL first will speak volumes. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Bottom Brick

Quoteeither a breaking story or a columnist giving us something juicy that we didn't already know

Like The Game's exclusive on Canavan retiring - nine months later he won an All Ireland!
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

never kickt a ball

Yes or detail about the major transfer which closetotheharte is talking about earlier on this thread. Give us a clue ;D

ONeill

To be fair, the McKenna joke was from Brolly and Burns.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Square Ball

I havent seen any copies about, must look out for it tomorrow. There would only be one place one the top part of the Ormeau road that would sell it, so i will look for it in the morning on me way to work  :(
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jez lads, it's never going to beat the internet on getting the news out first, probably won't even beat the Irish News (cos it's daily!!!!!!!!! doh! ).

But where the GL can but itself justice is by covering all the counties of Ulster, not just Armagh and Tyrone.
Tbc....

Norf Tyrone

Flicked through it there last night, as I am more of a perusal than a cover to cover man, and it looks the part anyhow.
One part that made me situpandtakenotice was the ratings of Freeman, Bradley, McDonnell and O'Neill.

Basically the article give each one marks out of 10 in various facets skill, accuracy etc etc. Glancing to the bottom it rated McDonnell first, Freeman, O'Neill then Bradley.

O'Neill behind Freeman I thought!!!

Then I totalled all the sections, and they added them up wrong. Freeman should have 44.5, not 45.5 as was credited with, and O'Neill should've had 46, and not the 45 he was credited with.

Pedantic I know, but what's the point of this article if inaccuracy nulifies it.

Good effort though....
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Square Ball

Local shop got ten in yesterday and there were all gone when i got there this morning, mind you there are a few from here on this board, so its good for the paper that they are sold out at the minute, but the we will see if it holds on to its readers after the honeymoon period is over.

hairyhog

think i might have took the last one yesterday evenin square ball, thats if its the shop opposite the errigle you're thinking of. Sorry, should prob have left it there for you, not overly impressed to be truthful

Square Ball

Yip

its one and the same, so I may be able to get one next time then, must admit for the local GAA its hard to beat the South Belfast News

hairyhog

The very place!! It even stocks my beloved Ulster Herald and Tyrone Herald

bennydorano

Must say I thought it was fairly good, there were several minor factual mistakes that I noticed.  I'll get it again.

Donagh

Quote from: hairyhog on January 06, 2007, 06:19:44 PM
The very place!! It even stocks my beloved Ulster Herald and Tyrone Herald

Called into the same shop this morning for one myself but couldn't spot any. Was able to pick one up from Colm's little shop on Sunnyside St this afternoon.

never kickt a ball

Sunnyside Up still going strong Donagh?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: tieroan on January 05, 2007, 03:45:46 PM
Not bad at all i must say. Why do egotistic journalists put their photo on top of their articles. The editor is perfectably acceptable but i cant hack thon we Woods upstart stuck in another newspaper. Can no one else write about Ladies football. He knows nothing about it in the first place. I recall him not picking my sister on the Tyrone U16 a few years back because she missed a training because it happened to be the day of my wedding. Jumped up wee fart. I remember Lynette Hughes writing in Team Talk, completly tearing shreds of Errigal Ciaran, won her no friends but i bet you everyone read her stuff. Thats what you need instead of, and no disrespect, Maebh Mo injury crisis
::) Your a brave man behind a computer.  You do know that the journalists don't put put their pictures at the top of their articles  don't you?  Woods never took tyrone u16 ladies so what are you talking about?   Sounds like u just have a personal gripe with him rather than his writing ability which I've  never found had  much wrong with it.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?