Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Good Lord hardstation. Lets put it down to the stress over the past few days ;)
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

A good read today's. Jarlath's article was about letter writer complaining to the newspaper. I think he was talking about Tony ;)
Testing Accessibility

bennydorano

Quote from: hardstation on March 21, 2008, 06:38:49 PM
Went into the shop. Wasn't thinking and picked up one of the 3 Gaelic Life papers. I noticed that they were a bit dogged.
Got her home to realise that it was last buckin' week's paper.

Did it myself a while back.  Creeping Tyrone bias into this paper or just me?

bigpaul

I don't know what you mean by 'creeping' Benny,think it has been there for a while! I have bought Gaelic Life religiously from the first publication(just an addict) but find it annoying a lot of the time.It is very obvious that they do not have reporters at very many league matches(Tyrone matches excluded),this leaves their attempts at analysing team and individual performances under a very large cloud.Their pieces analysing the stats of league matches just happen to have been televised!I never take much notice of teams of the week  or teams of the campaign,however, anyone who would have seen even one of Ciaran Mc Keever's performances this year would have him as just about the best player in the country at the minute!Joe Brolly has been revealed to have little new to say,if the grants issue hadn't been to the fore God only knows what he would have written about.The inclusion of Kevin Mc Gourty is another irritant,I would love to read the opinions of some truely great players (one a week) like Greg Blaney,Joe Kernan,Eugene Mc Kenna,Sean O'Neill,Nudie Hughes,Peter Mc Ginnity,James Mc Cartan(snr or jnr)or many more,instead of a twenty-something who has involved himself in some degree of controversy!Then we come to the inclusion of sections every week like 'National League Bitesize Pieces',these remind me of schoolboy efforts at using up space. Finally, if they mention 'hang sangwiches' twice more this year I won't buy it again!

jodyb

In all fairness, ye knew the  inclusion of Joe in the editorial selection was purely to try an dim the bright Tyrone colour that the publication fights to disguise. Havin  said that, his ma is from Brackaville.......

Tyrone Dreamer

I can honestly say I've never noticed any Tyrone bias in the paper and not sure where you's are coming from. I can't think of that many articles that have focused on Tyrone. The main column writers Burns, McGourty, Brolly and Pete McGrath don't mention Tyrone that much at all and they're not from Tyrone so they obviously won't have any bias towards them. The rest of the paper doesnt seem to have any more in it about Tyrone than any other counties.

orangeman

Mc Sherry is in there to keep a balance !!

ziggysego

McSherry? He's a blagard! ;)
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

A blagard ?? What did he do on you Ziggy ?  ;D

gerry

Quote from: bennydorano on March 21, 2008, 08:00:20 PM
Quote from: hardstation on March 21, 2008, 06:38:49 PM
Went into the shop. Wasn't thinking and picked up one of the 3 Gaelic Life papers. I noticed that they were a bit dogged.
Got her home to realise that it was last buckin' week's paper.

Did it myself a while back. 

me to last year
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

cornafean

Quote from: bigpaul on March 23, 2008, 12:43:35 AM
It is very obvious that they do not have reporters at very many league matches
I don't think that's a bad thing. Every other paper is full of boring and cliched match reports "a game of two halves", "finely balanced" "at the final whistle" etc etc. GL is imho better as its approach is fresh and different.
Their pieces analysing the stats of league matches just happen to have been televised!
No shame there once the stats are accurate.

QuoteThe inclusion of Kevin Mc Gourty is another irritant,I would love to read the opinions of some truely great players (one a week) like Greg Blaney,Joe Kernan,Eugene Mc Kenna,Sean O'Neill,Nudie Hughes,Peter Mc Ginnity,James Mc Cartan(snr or jnr)or many more,
The last Ulster GAA paper (the one that closed down 2 or 3 years ago) tried this and it was very boring, rent-a-quote stuff. There is little point printing reams of comment from the likes of Nudie regardless of whether or not they have something to say.
Then we come to the inclusion of sections every week like 'National League Bitesize Pieces',these remind me of schoolboy efforts at using up space.
..but they can be interesting and informative, and they do give a smidgin of 32-county perspective to the paper.
QuoteFinally, if they mention 'hang sangwiches' twice more this year I won't buy it again!
Me too!
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

bigpaul

I wouldn't be asking for match reports,just show a bit more awareness of what actually went on.
I'll give you that on the stats.
I wouldn't want to read all those every week,as in 'The Gaelic Game',I would like to read their opinions ahead of 'The Man Who Doesn't Hold Back!'
Have never found them even remotely interesting or informative - this week we have the result of the Armagh/Donegal u21 match,Graham Geraghty's opinion on the Cork strike,the news that Leitrim beat Sligo the last day and will hope to beat Wexford the next,Tipperary u21's reached the Munster-Final and London host Antrim in their League Clash! PADDING at my school!!!!!!!!
The hang-sangwiche is indisputable!

Feckitt

Just finished reading this weeks copy.

This paper is miles ahead of any GAA magazine or paper that has ever been produced.  I know that the lads at GL keep an eye on this board, so congratulations on keeping the paper fresh, and making it an essential read.

If you don't buy it, Buy it!

screenexile

Anybody read the article about Tyrone's new centre of excellence the other week? I've never laughed so much in my entire life it was absolutely hilarious!!!