Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Some of his anecdotes are hilarious.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bigpaul

I thought Joe Brolly's piece dealt well with the topic, of increased pressure on county managers, and how some can handle it better than others. However, did he not fail to address the core of Paul Grimely's point, namely the over the top criticism that he dishes out to players on 'The Sunday Game' ?

Feckitt

Have to say that this paper just keeps getting better.  This weeks was excellent, usual top drawer stuff from Brolly, and the top ten lists.  I know there was a lot of scepticism about this paper when it first came out, because every GAA paper or magazine which preceeded it was crap.  But this is an essential buy every Friday.  I know some of the Gaelic Life guys read this board, so some constructive criticism.

- A bit more news on the other provinces wouldn't go amiss
- There is a bit too much coverage on the two teams that are playing that week.  This weeks copy was much better because 6 Ulster counties where in action.
- The bluffers guide to the clubs, is a great idea, but could be a bit more interesting.

Keep up the good work lads, I hope that you are getting enough sales.

tintin25

Just a point about the Fantasy footie...I see the leaderboard wasn't up in last weeks edition? Ne chance of posting it on this? Also, how can ya view who ya actually picked in your team??? I can't remember and I'm pretty sure I never got a team list posted to me just another letter of some sort of confirmation.

ONeill

I think there was no leaderboard last week as there were no matches. You should've received an email confirmation of your team. If not, you're fecked.

I also think the paper is a great read and filled with tit-bits that'll keep you going through the week. I'd miss it if I didn't get it. Sorry to hear sales aren't great but that's simply down to the rise of the Internet and the fact that reading print is almost a thing of the past!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ExiledGael

Still read the paper every week, though admittedly through the freebies quite often, and still enjoy it, needs to keep up with hte little features that make it different from your every day read that it will never outdo.
Enjoy the columnists, esp Brolly, Sledger and McSherry, Burns not so much.
Thought McSherry was excellent this week
Anyone have any sales figures? Will it survive?

orangeman

Due to the seaonal nature of gaa I think it wil struggle in closed season - maybe I'm wrong  - but I'd like to see it survive.

thebandit

They would be struggling in Monaghan, they didn't put enough copies of the paper into the shops in the first few weeks so it never took off really.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: thebandit on July 12, 2007, 10:01:31 AM
They would be struggling in Monaghan, they didn't put enough copies of the paper into the shops in the first few weeks so it never took off really.

Just about every car at the game this Sunday should have a free Gaelic Life between wiper and windscreen by the match end, if the last two Tyrone games are anything to go by.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

I was talking to a newsagent in Monaghan - he sells only a handful of copies so it will be hard for it to take off there !

Maguire01

Availability is the biggest problem.  It's a nightmare to get in Belfast - i managed to track down one newsagent in Holywood that stock it, otherwise a trip up the west is required. You'd at least thing that Eason's would stock it. Gonna be hard to establish a publication if you can't readily buy it!
If ever there was an time to establish it in Monaghan it would be tomorrow's issue. If they have any business sense they would overstock every newsagent in the county.

downredblack

I can get it in Dublin ,dont know what your chances would be any further South .

Maguire01

Quote from: downredblack on July 12, 2007, 01:58:32 PM
I can get it in Dublin ,dont know what your chances would be any further South .
it's an Ulster GAA paper so i doubt it's circulated south of Ulster at all.

J70

Its available online.

Square Ball

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 12, 2007, 01:53:13 PM
Availability is the biggest problem.  It's a nightmare to get in Belfast - i managed to track down one newsagent in Holywood that stock it, otherwise a trip up the west is required. You'd at least thing that Eason's would stock it. Gonna be hard to establish a publication if you can't readily buy it!
If ever there was an time to establish it in Monaghan it would be tomorrow's issue. If they have any business sense they would overstock every newsagent in the county.
I have no problem getting it in Belfast, two of the local shops on the ormeau road have it
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid