EXCLUSIVE NEWS: Tyrone GAA - SoN is Back!

Started by filthylittlebeast, September 01, 2008, 10:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Indeed! And something that's been missed: even if he doesn't get a run out this year, he's available for 2009, and that was the major piece of news of Ziggy's scoop.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 04, 2008, 09:05:12 PM
Indeed! And something that's been missed: even if he doesn't get a run out this year, he's available for 2009, and that was the major piece of news of Ziggy's scoop.

Indeed, what a boost for next season (and hopefully a few more after that). Just need to steal Kyle Coney's passport and get Kieran Donaghy to come home to Tyrone and we're all set for world domination ;D.

Must admit I would still have a few concerns about SON coming back at this stage, would far rather he had returned a few weeks ago, but Mickey knows what he is doing. Ultimately if a player of the quality of SON says he is willing to come back onto the panel you can hardly say no. He is a great servant to the county and a well liked lad so I doubt the possible ill feeling amongst other players suggested by some on this thread will be an issue.

Frank Casey

Tyrone posters.

Just a curio (and honestly not a s**t stir) - all reports are that the players were anxious for SON to join the panel. Am I right to presume that it was Mickey Harte asking them?
KERRY 3:7

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Frank Casey on September 04, 2008, 10:36:43 PM
Tyrone posters.

Just a curio (and honestly not a s**t stir) - all reports are that the players were anxious for SON to join the panel. Am I right to presume that it was Mickey Harte asking them?

He explains the logistics of what happened in the radio interview posted a few pages back

Frank Casey

Fear ón Srath Bán

Tyrone posters.

A summary Frank: it was 100% the players' decision, MH said this evening that it was a 'third party' who facilitated the reconciliation at the behest of the players, and that each and every player had to give their individual backing to it. That they did, and he was happy, very happy, that they did, and that no current squad member would lose out as a result.

Puckoon

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 04, 2008, 10:48:00 PM
Tyrone posters.

A summary Frank: it was 100% the players' decision, MH said this evening that it was a 'third party' who facilitated the reconciliation, but that each and every player had to give their individual backing to it. That they did, and he was happy, very happy, that they did, and that no current squad member would lose out as a result.

Interestingly Mickey also said that there was no reason for SON not to be on the panel other than injury, and retirement.

Why'd it take a third party then? Not that I'd doubt him for a minute.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Puckoon on September 04, 2008, 10:50:04 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 04, 2008, 10:48:00 PM
Tyrone posters.

A summary Frank: it was 100% the players' decision, MH said this evening that it was a 'third party' who facilitated the reconciliation, but that each and every player had to give their individual backing to it. That they did, and he was happy, very happy, that they did, and that no current squad member would lose out as a result.

Interestingly Mickey also said that there was no reason for SON not to be on the panel other than injury, and retirement.

Why'd it take a third party then? Not that I'd doubt him for a minute.

What does it take to be a third party Puckoon? As a manager you're in a very tricky position, and can't be seen to be attempting to secure the services of some one individual who isn't a member of your current squad (who are the very best available, and it's not about who might be available, but about who is available).

Frank Casey

Sometimes it just takes somebody a little outside the loop to say "c'mon lads what about it"

Still I reckon ye're worried about us :P

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Frank Casey on September 04, 2008, 10:55:17 PM
Still I reckon ye're worried about us :P

Bricking it Frank, but you know what, we'll give it a right feckin' lash!

Bogball XV

Quote from: paddypastit on September 04, 2008, 08:31:47 PM
As a nuetral I would love to see the imperious SO'N of previous years again and I hope that it is a move that works out in the sense of him making a positive contribution to the final... whether Tyrone wion or not.

However I don't buy the notion that this man is a saviour. While he was Player of the year in '05, he had a very bad day at the office against Dublin, twice - missing around him the first day and not even getting opportunities to miss the second day.  Ultimately, without Canavan, that championshipo wouldf not have been won and fione player and all that O'Neill is, on the basis of the past, he needs others to make chances and even then he can be stopped.

It is a big gamble and fair play to Harte for having the balls to do it.  No matter waht anyone says there will be players in that 30 that don't agree but the end justifies the means if you win.

One other point.  A lot of posters here are commenting on Tom O'Sullivan.  He played well last Sunday and was getting better as the game went on.  He is one of the tightest craftiest and 'only do it when it matters' players around.  If you're hoping for a Kerry back to come unstuck under pressure, he's not the man.  He's well likely to have a shocker in a Q/F or qualifier or indeed all of the Musnster championship but you can expect him to be right up there in the AIF and uyou would not want him marking you.
Some good points there paddy.

stephenite

Quote from: paddypastit on September 04, 2008, 08:31:47 PM
As a nuetral I would love to see the imperious SO'N of previous years again and I hope that it is a move that works out in the sense of him making a positive contribution to the final... whether Tyrone wion or not.

However I don't buy the notion that this man is a saviour. While he was Player of the year in '05, he had a very bad day at the office against Dublin, twice - missing around him the first day and not even getting opportunities to miss the second day.  Ultimately, without Canavan, that championshipo wouldf not have been won and fione player and all that O'Neill is, on the basis of the past, he needs others to make chances and even then he can be stopped.

It is a big gamble and fair play to Harte for having the balls to do it.  No matter waht anyone says there will be players in that 30 that don't agree but the end justifies the means if you win.

One other point.  A lot of posters here are commenting on Tom O'Sullivan.  He played well last Sunday and was getting better as the game went on.  He is one of the tightest craftiest and 'only do it when it matters' players around.  If you're hoping for a Kerry back to come unstuck under pressure, he's not the man.  He's well likely to have a shocker in a Q/F or qualifier or indeed all of the Musnster championship but you can expect him to be right up there in the AIF and uyou would not want him marking you.

What he said

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on September 04, 2008, 04:24:52 PM
No one seriously believes he can get up to AI final standard, do they?

Tyrone have a very good team now, good enough to compete for an AI, what can a 50% - 60% fit player add to that apart from active moral support?

Yes, psychology is surely as important as physicality - especially in an All Ireland Final.
Also, he hasn't been lying about and isn't recovering from an injury. He may need to get up to speed for this level, but he may well be 100% fit otherwise.