Win at all costs? AI final plea

Started by his holiness nb, September 01, 2008, 01:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

The all Ireland football final is being contested by 2 very talented teams, but also the 2 teams probably involved in the most unsavoury stuff between them in this years championship.

We have seen refs notebooks smacked away, punches, diving, taunting of players, feigning injury to get players sent off, taunting of oppositions fans, cynical professional fouling, roaring abuse at the ref, not to mention deliberately trying to scare children with cynical beards.

I would appeal to both teams, think of the children, this final could be an all time classic if you just play football.

:)
Ask me holy bollix

Zapatista

Give it a rest HH. Not only are ye doing this on other threads you are now starting threads to do it. It's been 3 weeks FFS.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Zapatista on September 01, 2008, 01:49:37 PM
Give it a rest HH. Not only are ye doing this on other threads you are now starting threads to do it. It's been 3 weeks FFS.

If by that you mean the Dublin game I think you will find that I was extremely gracious in defeat back then and wished Tyrone well for the rest of the championship, I even defended their style of play when people accused them of playing unactractive football. 

But, the incidents I mentioned all happened, and its not unreasonable to make the point that while the best 2 teams in the country will contest the final, they are also the 2 who have been involved in the most controversy too. And instead of merely writing it off as a game, I am hoping the crap will be put aside and we will have a truly great final as both sides are capable of.

Is there anything in my post you actually disagree with, or do you just not want to hear it?

I dont think I can compliment the two teams further than I already have over the past few weeks, this is the reason I made this post, as if the nonsense is left aside, we could have an all time classic on our hands.
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

Why not put this in the thread that's already there for the AIF?

Over the Bar

QuoteWe have seen.... punches, diving, taunting of players, feigning injury to get players sent off, taunting of oppositions fans, cynical professional fouling, roaring abuse at the ref

Thankfully Corner-boy Caffery and his street-brawlers haven't made the final and were thrashed out the door...  

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 01, 2008, 02:04:19 PM

Why not indeed?  Merge away moderators

his holiness nb

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 01, 2008, 02:04:19 PM

Jaysus ye are all very touchy today, its the AI final ffs, surely more than one thread is allowed?

To clarify, this thread wasnt to discuss the match itself, more so to appeal to the teams to cut out the rubbish that could potentially ruin it as a spectacle. I though it worthy of a seperate thread. If the mods want to merge, then fair enough.

I wouldnt have bothered with this unless I had a lot of respect for both sides. The Tyrone revival this year and Kerrys quest for the 3 in a row has me dreaming of a classic.
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 01, 2008, 02:06:09 PM
Thankfully Corner-boy Caffery and his street-brawlers haven't made the final and were thrashed out the door...  

They were, and dont deserve to be in the final, the best 2 teams in the country are in the final.
I've been quick to admit when Dublin step out of line, regular posters will acknowledge this.
But this is nothing to do with Dublin. Nor is it an attempt to wind people up. Have I said anything that isnt true, or insulted either team?
Ask me holy bollix

Rois

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 01, 2008, 02:08:38 PM
To clarify, this thread wasnt to discuss the match itself, more so to appeal to the teams to cut out the rubbish that could potentially ruin it as a spectacle. I though it worthy of a seperate thread. If the mods want to merge, then fair enough.

If this thread is an appeal to the teams, and as none of us (presumably) play for either team, then the best you can hope for is for Mickey Harte and O'Shea to print it out and read it to the lads involved.   ::)

Orior

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 01, 2008, 01:43:18 PM
The all Ireland football final is being contested by 2 very talented teams, but also the 2 teams probably involved in the most unsavoury stuff between them in this years championship.

We have seen refs notebooks smacked away, punches, diving, taunting of players, feigning injury to get players sent off, taunting of oppositions fans, cynical professional fouling, roaring abuse at the ref, not to mention deliberately trying to scare children with cynical beards.

I would appeal to both teams, think of the children, this final could be an all time classic if you just play football.

:)

Enough about the linesmen. What about the players themselves, lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rois on September 01, 2008, 02:16:43 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on September 01, 2008, 02:08:38 PM

If this thread is an appeal to the teams, and as none of us (presumably) play for either team, then the best you can hope for is for Mickey Harte and O'Shea to print it out and read it to the lads involved.   ::)

There's a surreal thought :D 'Yerra lads, I know we'd love the 3 in a row, but seriously, this fella His Holiness NB is right. We owe it to him to have a good open game, so no nastiness now. Do ye promise?'.

reddgnhand

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 01, 2008, 02:11:38 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 01, 2008, 02:06:09 PM

They were, and dont deserve to be in the final, the best 2 teams in the country are in the final.
I've been quick to admit when Dublin step out of line, regular posters will acknowledge this.
But this is nothing to do with Dublin. Nor is it an attempt to wind people up. Have I said anything that isnt true, or insulted either team?

Do the Dubs fall into any of the catagories you have mentioned?

dodgy umpire

HH has a point. both teams are well capable of playing quality football, and as this is the showpiece for our game its perfectly ok to hope for a proper game of football. i believe thats what we will get
The Boys in Red and Black are back

his holiness nb

Ok I get it, being a Dub, I have no place mentioning any negatives about any team, even at the same time as giving them plentiful compliments.

Yes the Dubs have done some of those things, I have said that before several times and gave out about them at the time.

I think ye are mixing me up with Tankie of the likes who just makes these posts to wind non Dubs up.

Given all the controversies this year, I think its a genuine point that the two teams involved in lots of this stuff made the final and was worthy of discussion.

Jeez yous lads are fierce defensive. Must be the nerves, relax, at least ye have a final to look forward to!

If ye would rather not hear this then dont post here and let people who would like to comment on this do so.

Ask me holy bollix

reddgnhand

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 01, 2008, 02:29:57 PM
Ok I get it, being a Dub, I have no place mentioning any negatives about any team, even at the same time as giving them plentiful compliments.

Yes the Dubs have done some of those things, I have said that before several times and gave out about them at the time.

I think ye are mixing me up with Tankie of the likes who just makes these posts to wind non Dubs up.

Given all the controversies this year, I think its a genuine point that the two teams involved in lots of this stuff made the final and was worthy of discussion.

Jeez yous lads are fierce defensive. Must be the nerves, relax, at least ye have a final to look forward to!

If ye would rather not hear this then dont post here and let people who would like to comment on this do so.

It comes across like a bit of a lecture his holiness.