Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Well done Tyrone...There was no mention of puke football from that mupet Spillane lat night. I think "Humble pie" was used a few times
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

his holiness nb

Frank, team of the decade so far are Kerry surely? If Tyrone win next year they will be level.

No other arguments count other than the medal count.

Thats not being bitter, I've as much reason to begrudge Kerry as I have Tyrone  ;)

The main thing is that the CURRENT best team in the land are Tyrone, and deservedly so.

Ask me holy bollix

armaghniac

QuoteNo other arguments count other than the medal count.

What's the point of having a discussion board if that is true. Surely there is more depth to analysis than just counting who won? Players get injured, teams have particular sequences of games and so on.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

corn02

Quote from: armaghniac on September 22, 2008, 05:44:47 PM

What's the point of having a discussion board if that is true. Surely there is more depth to analysis than just counting who won? Players get injured, teams have particular sequences of games and so on.

But ultimately history reflects on the black and white of winners and losers.

stpauls

Quote from: armaghniac on September 22, 2008, 05:44:47 PM

teams also capituilating when they get to the big occasion can be added to that list!! Kerry's last 3 final wins were against teams who just did not turn up on the day!!

take that whatever way you want, but that is the way i see it!

thebandit

Just home from Dublin  ;D

Well done Tyrone, I never thought that I'd see the day that I'd roar myself hoarse for the divers but I couldn't help it!

Ulster says no to 3 in a row!!!!

clarshack

what a day! what a game - as good a game of championship football as you'll see. think it was the most intense game since tyrone v armagh in the '05 semi. well done tyrone and well done mickey harte!

Rois

I am just coming round now and getting ready to head to Omagh.  What a day and what a feeling.  The mood in the Citywest was amazing last night, a fantastic night and they players could not stop smiling.

stew

What an advertisement for gaelic football yesterdays two games were. The passion and committment wwas there for all the world to see and the games were played at a very high level with plenty of skill on show.

Kerry could have been out of site at the half, they missed too many good chances and they tended to rely on the long ball way too much. Donaghy was quiet and the long ball tactic backfired on them, that said they are some team all the same, they ran into a team that was fitter and better prepared tactically.

Cavanagh is a legend at this stage, as is Dooher. Cavanagh was the best player on display and will cruise to another all star.

Hell slap it up the southern press, pundits and especially that gobshite Spilane, where is your puke football theory now Pat?

Kerry seem to be able to ge5t it done against everybody except Tyrone, they cant figure them out and I would like to help them. Outwork Tyrone in training from November until the last ball is kicked, they were far fitter in the last fifteen minutes and kerry looked punch drunk in the last five to ten minutes. Tyrone have got to be one of the fittest teams ever to play the game.

The only negative that stood out for me was the Mulligan dive, that was a disgrace however it should not take away from a fantastic final, both teams were brilliant and gave us a final for the ages.

As for Armagh, we couldnt come within eight points of either team and we need to overhaul our strategy because it no longer works, playing two wing forwards in the half back line contributed to kerry's downfall yesterday.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BennyHarp

Great performance by Tyrone yesterday - couldnt believe Pat o'se took off Walsh for Galvin - Walsh in my opinion was kerrys most dangerous forward at that time after just scoring a decent point.

On another point - did anyone hear gregory campbell on radio ulster this morning - he was on with mickey harte and was asked if he would congratulate the tyrone team - he said something along the lines of its always great when a british team wins an international competition! The bigotry is actually quite funny at this stage! Mickey Harte, needless to say, kept a dignified silence!
That was never a square ball!!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

gerry

great day and even better result, hope we get a good turnout in omagh tonight to welcome the boys home
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Reillers

What a team, what a game, what a manager!!

A great, great result, delighted for Tyrone. Mickey Harte is such a gent but he's such a tactician, he played Pat O Se off the pitch in the second half.

Without a doubt the best manager in the country and the team of the decade.

Tyrone worked harder, won every battle and wanted it so much more.
They had Dooher, a top class player against Galvin, there on a technicallity, a reduced suspension and his first contribution to the game..getting booked for a high tackle..what a pro. ::) ::)

No doubt that the best team won.

Tír Eoghan abú!!

magickingdom

congratulations to tyrone, great team, manager and fans they are worthy ai champions. i was gutted at the end of yesterdays game but am coming around a bit now! as one tyrone fan sitting near me said in the 67th minute "this is supposed to be fun" while everyone was on the verge of a heart attack!

i made my point about paul galvin starting earlier in the thread and of course hindsight is great but the decision regarding brosnan baffled me. d walsh started there a few times and it worked ok with brosnan coming on. why the change? why take off a poor sheehan with 5 minutes to go and nothing in the game? the one time you need a great freetaker is the last few minutes of a close al final. how many big games come down to a free kick? if he was to come off was it not obvious at half time? nor would i have taken t walsh off... having said all that if anyone looks at the stats for the game there was nothing in it, possession, pass completion, wides, frees, kickouts retained. with a few minutes anyone could have won it and tyrone did. so fair play to them they won a battle of two great teams. the team of the decade is not tyrones tho at least not yet! next year if they win the ai then its up for grabs...

despite the above hopefully the kerry management will stay on (rumour is they wont this evening), its a learning curve for them too and pat o shea and co owe kerry football nothing, they have put their lives into kerry football the last few years and i hope they get there rewards in the coming years. meanwhile hats off to micky hart and tyrone, a great team