Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Twas only as Kerry tired that both started to show what they can do. I thought Jordan wasn't as prominent as in the previous outings but still had a decent game.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T O Hare

Tyrone were great today, the full back line was rock solid, the half ack line set up all attacks, i thought that Hub changed the game, he spolied the ball in the middle and made some strong runs, it was great to see such legends as mugsy, hub, mc guigan and o'neill back in the heartbeat at the end!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Main Street

I didn't see all those long balls O'Neill was talking about that Kerry hit, in hope of landing on the 2 watchtowers.
Tyrone cut them off at the pass.

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2008, 11:41:53 PM
Mickey, Sean et al blame the Tyrone fans for losing faith in June - of course many did and there was much reason to do so after 06/07 and the league of 08. However, perhaps that criticism galvanized the side and as Ricey said in today's Times, it made them think they're not always 'up there' in the estimations of the rest of the county.
Or perhaps what I am hearing now is not the sound of the empty vessels being rattled, just the scraping at the bottom looking for justification ::)

5 Sams

Few points for what its worth...

Fully deserved victory by Tyrone...the best team won..

Darragh Se was exceptional and did his best to crown what will probably be his last appearance in HQ with a deadly display of fielding and back up play.

The Tyrone full back line were immense...the twin towers were living on scraps.

Sean Cavanagh is as good a footballer as I've seen in the last 10 years.

Finally with a bit of work Tyrone might be good enough to up their game next year and beat Down ;) ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

tyssam5

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2008, 09:57:37 PM
Was that a slight dig at the fans by Mickey on RTE there? Lyster referred to the enthusiasm of the fans and Harte responded that it started "a bit late in the day." Hope I haven't misquoted him but he obviously remembers who his real friends are when all and sundry are patting him on the back. Undoubtedly many of them were the same people calling for his head a couple of months ago.

Was at the banquet - and yes it was dig! Deservedly so too! Justy McM must be young player of the year - immense!

Will need to watch the game again before commenting in full. Have to say was only obout 80% confident this year as opposed to 100% the prevoius years.

Funny thing is Kerry v Trone next time in the championship will lead to 2-1 odds for Tyrone and Kerry thinking they've only to show up.

Thanks again PaddyPower and Kerry.

ONeill

Quote from: Main Street on September 22, 2008, 01:02:43 AM
I didn't see all those long balls O'Neill was talking about that Kerry hit, in hope of landing on the 2 watchtowers.
Tyrone cut them off at the pass.

That's a truly remarkable statement. Kerry's first attack was a rocket launcher and in the first 15 minutes almost every attack was through the same method. I'd imagine if you sat down to watch it again you're talking about double figures.

Quote from: Main Street on September 22, 2008, 01:07:48 AM
Quote from: ONeill on September 21, 2008, 11:41:53 PM
Mickey, Sean et al blame the Tyrone fans for losing faith in June - of course many did and there was much reason to do so after 06/07 and the league of 08. However, perhaps that criticism galvanized the side and as Ricey said in today's Times, it made them think they're not always 'up there' in the estimations of the rest of the county.
Or perhaps what I am hearing now is not the sound of the empty vessels being rattled, just the scraping at the bottom looking for justification ::)

Again you're away off the mark. If Mickey is talking about those who were calling for his head, he's totally justified. I think there was only one poster on here in one of the earlier match threads. He's probably aiming this at the nasty comments aimed at him as he walked off the field in Newry and hopefully those people are hanging their heads in shame today. Those were the 'empty vessels'.

In terms of losing faith that we were All-Ireland challengers I'd say 90% of the county had those doubts in June and I'd include some of the players. McMenamin thought of packing it in and it was only when Mickey sent him a text the morning after the Down game to say forget about the Down game, they'd win an All-Ireland yet that his mindset began to change. The players believed first - we followed a while after. Personally I thought an All-Ireland was out of reach simply because there seemed to be a severe lack of scoring power. I didn't invisage seeing Harte and Joe McMahon knock goals past Dublin!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Declan

Congrats to Tyrone. Well deserved victory. Kavanagh was fantastic but McConnell's second half save clinched it. Only downside for me was caveman McMahon's ranting and raving and O'Se's sneaky and cheap hit at the half time whistle. Enjoy it.

Hardy

Quote from: Take Your Points on September 22, 2008, 08:14:16 AM
Where does this leave Down?  The only team to beat Tyrone in the 2008 championship.

I'd say they can consider themselves to have reached the same heights as Meath - the only team to beat Tyrone in the 2007 championship.

Zapatista

Brilliant ;D

There is something special about those lads.

saffron sam2

Some team. Superb manager.

Well done Tyrone.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

off the laces

Well done Tyrone next year you might go one better and beat DOWN ;)
Keeps 'er' straight

T Fearon

With teeth firmly gritted I have to congratulate the county of my grandmother's birth and marvel at the management skills of Harte, surely up there with the likes of Heffernan and O'Dwyer in the pantheon of all time greats. As Brolly, said this team is far greater than the sum of its parts and it highlights once again the importance of quality management. Who would have thought that Donaghy would be or could be so subdued?

Aaron Boone

Tyrone's record of defending Sam isn't great: 04 lost to Mayo on the quarters, 06 lost to Laois in a swampy Portlaoise.

robertemmet

Well done to Tyrone yesterday.  they are a brilliant side.  Very well organised and it was a fantastic tribute to john Devine as they dedicated the victory to him.