Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doire abú

I heard Brian Dooher is lining out for Clanns as well with Mickey Harte naming himself as Tyrone captain for Sunday!!

Puckoon

Strange happenings afoot. I hope it is mind games.

Will Hunting

Quote from: Doire abú on September 18, 2008, 05:52:26 PM
I guess we'll find out on Sunday if he's on the sub bench or not.

Very surprised to see Collie Holmes starting.

Maybe S O'Neill is injured! It'll give them a chance to use that excuse anyway  :P

ziggysego

MH has just said on the BBC that SON will be available for selection this Sunday. Feckin' mind games is bad for my heart ;)
Testing Accessibility

ExiledGael

Onion Bag

Harte just confirmed on BBC live interview, SON will def be available for selection
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Frank Casey

Jaysus lads could ye make up yere minds - is he in or not. Pat O'Shea has only got a couple of hours to name his team and he's very worried about this.

Yere luck that it isn't Cork in the final as Frank Murphy would find a rule to stop this frightful display of shenanigans. ;)
KERRY 3:7

ONeill

CANAVAN CAN APPEAR IN FINAL

Seven Tyrone players will start their third All-Ireland senior football final in six years when Tyrone take on champions Kerry in the most keenly anticipated Sam Maguire shootout in years at Croke Park this Sunday (3.30pm).

Ryan McMenamin, Conor Gormley and Philip Jordan were all key members of the Tyrone defence in the 2003 title-clinching victory over Armagh and were instrumental again in the 2005 triumph over Kerry, while Brian Dooher and Brian McGuigan comprised two-thirds of the Tyrone half-forward line in both of those famous victories.

And Enda McGinley and Sean Cavanagh were also vital components of the 2003 and 2005 All-Ireland final teams, the pair teaming up at midfield in the final three years ago, after McGinley had lined out in the full-forward line and Cavanagh at midfield two years earlier. Five years on, their roles are reversed.

These seven players were named today in Mickey Harte's side to face Kerry in the 2008 showpiece, the starting team announced earlier than usual after the Tyrone squad had spent the day together in preparation for Sunday's huge assignment. After a round of golf at Fintona Golf Course in the morning they had lunch at Kelly's Inn and finished off with a training session at Dunmoyle.

The biggest news from the announcement of the team and subs is the omission of Stephen O'Neill's name from the list of thirty. O'Neill made a sensational return to the Tyrone camp two weeks ago and was tipped to play some part on All-Ireland final day but, despite not making the 'thirty', it appears he could still be available to play a part.

Tyrone's starting fifteen for the county's biggest game in three years shows one change to the team that started the six-point semi-final win over Wexford. Brian McGuigan, who was a late absentee from the starting lineout last time, goes back into the side in place of the man who was drafted in to replace him in that fixture, Martin Penrose.

On top of the vast All-Ireland experience offered by seven members of the Tyrone team, Collie Holmes is also looking forward to a third All-Ireland final appearance after coming on as a sub in the previous two finals. This time Holmes is handed a midfield start as a partner to Enda McGinley.

A further four players are poised to make their second start in an All-Ireland senior final. John Devine and Ciaran Gourley took part in the 2003 final, while Davy Harte and Joe McMahon were big contributors in the 2005 final, the latter now set to perform a wing half-forward role after fulfilling the full-back duties three years ago.

Now the full-back responsibilities have been handed to Joe's brother, Justin McMahon, one of three players ready to make their first SFC final appearance. Colm McCullagh, a squad member in 2005, and Tommy McGuigan are also looking forward to the biggest outing of their inter-county careers.

Eight Tyrone players will make their eighth starting appearance in the 2008 championship on Sunday, including five defenders, Justin McMahon, Ryan McMenamin, Davy Harte, Conor Gormley and Philip Jordan, plus Sean Cavanagh, Brian Dooher and Colm McCullagh.

Another three players, Tommy McGuigan, Joe McMahon and Martin Penrose, have also featured in all seven championship outings to date but some of their appearances were as substitutes, while John Devine, Enda McGinley, Brian McGuigan and Colin Holmes have all chalked up six SFC appearances so far in 2008.

In terms of significant appearances this weekend, Brian Dooher's championship career, which began in 1996, is about to move on to 58 appearances, which puts him eight ahead of Peter Canavan, while Ryan McMenamin is about to reach a very significant milestone in his Tyrone career as he prepares for his 50th senior championship assignment.

Philip Jordan, meanwhile, is set to stretch his run of consecutive championship starting appearances (all in the same position) to 46. The Moy half-back has started every single championship game for Tyrone since he made his debut in 2002. His half-back partner, Conor Gormley, is on the same appearance total, having missed just one senior championship game (against Laois, 2006) since launching his inter-county career.

The Tyrone squad for this weekend's showdown has fifteen players bidding to win a third All-Ireland senior medal and seven players striving to pick up their second.

The remaining eleven panellists, including two starters, Justin McMahon and Tommy McGuigan, are hoping to be in possession of their first Celtic Cross come Sunday night.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

popinpoput

Quote from: Zapatista on September 18, 2008, 05:57:07 PM
Quote from: popinpoput on September 18, 2008, 05:43:54 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 18, 2008, 05:37:40 PM
Time for Kerry to ponder,
not even a resurgent Stephen O'Neill can get a place amongst the substitutes.

Can see no logical reason to bring him back if he is not even making the sub bench. Detect a ruse, anyone?

I think he came back rather than be brought back. 2009 2010 etc are logical reason for him to come back.

True, but why not wait one more match?

Main Street

Quote from: popinpoput on September 18, 2008, 07:33:02 PM

Can see no logical reason to bring him back if he is not even making the sub bench. Detect a ruse, anyone?

I think he came back rather than be brought back. 2009 2010 etc are logical reason for him to come back.

To play at least some part in the first part of the great Tyrone 3 in a row team.

popinpoput

Quote from: Main Street on September 18, 2008, 07:36:23 PM
Quote from: popinpoput on September 18, 2008, 07:33:02 PM

To play at least some part in the first part of the great Tyrone 3 in a row team.

Rather selfish of him then if that's the case. Can't see him thinking like that.

ziggysego

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on September 18, 2008, 05:01:47 PM
Well it just goes to prove..............

............Ziggys is a lier! How could you Zig? >:(

Mickey came to my defense on the BBC news Norf. SON is on the panel. Don't question me again boyo!!!
Testing Accessibility

Hardy

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Ah right.

Feet firmly on the  ground in the bushes, I see.