Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loughshore lad

When is the team named? Tomorrow night?

Think Brian McGuigan will definitely start, he is one of Harte's most trusted generals and on All Ireland final day you want your best players on the pitch - Harte has showed that earlier in the season when he really wanted Brian playing so I dont expect it to be any different on Sunday.  Mickey always throws in at least one surprise to keep everyone guessing and this time I think it will be Hub who will be sent to have a battle royale with Dara O'Shea.

ExiledGael

Can't wait for this and I'm also expecting a surprise in there somewhere.
Looking at the Kerry full-forward line you'll have Donaghy, Walsh and Cooper in all likelihood.
Justin McMahon is well-suited to Donaghy and can be expected to be assigned to that. Cooper will be followed by either Conor Gormley or McMenamin. Can't see Gourley being assigned that role and can't see Harte putting him one on one with Walsh either. Would Joe McMahon be an option in defence to cope with the strength in there? Suppose it depends on whether those three play in the ff line but Walsh has done serious damage in the first half of every game he's played.

D4S

Quote from: tyssam5 on September 17, 2008, 08:26:16 PM
Quote from: D4S on September 17, 2008, 07:05:18 PM
Hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm!!!

Call me sceptical but I don't believe when ricey says he will say hello to Galvin it will be in the friendly sense ;D

Jaysus you're an awful cynic, is there no room in the modern game for two fellas who play a good hardy game to have a bit of respect for each other?

I'm a Down man who will be there cheering Tyrone on to the final whistle but I don't think I'm being a cynic.  I'm sure when McMenamin said I'll say hello to him he said it with a rye smile on his face...I'm sure you know that as much as I do, would love to see Tyrone winning playing the great team football they played against Dublin & Wexford and let Kerry let themselves down with any antagonising goading behaviour as has crept in to their game this year!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: loughshore lad on September 17, 2008, 08:34:14 PM
Mickey always throws in at least one surprise to keep everyone guessing and this time I think it will be Hub who will be sent to have a battle royale with Dara O'Shea.

You mightn't be a million miles off there LL, had the same thought.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Rois on September 17, 2008, 10:07:09 AM

OK Mike, I've read this a few times and still trying to get to grips with the point you're trying to make, and getting very bored while doing so, "internal scrips", constant repetition of the work "assumptions" etc. 
Tyrone people are assuming that things will go our way?  Are you mad?  We're absolutely hopping with joy to be in the final when back in June we weren't "assuming" we'd be anywhere near.
Kerry worried about Stephen O'Neill?  I'm sure they are, cause most of Tyrone is worried about what impact Stephen O'Neill will have, so nothing new in that.

As with the last couple of games, Tyrone will play their own game, not what they think Kerry will or won't be expecting.  Given the strength of the Kerry team, Mickey will have to play to our strengths, rather than Kerry's weaknesses (as there aren't many).
You'll forgive us for being excited, not having had many AIFs to attend but all this psycho-crap about expectations is exactly that.  We're just crazily hyped up, and as in many cases, the chase is more enjoyable than the catch, so I'm embracing the run up to this match wholeheartedly. 

Maybe you should learn to type yourself before criticizing how I choose to illustrate a point. 

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI'm a Down man who will be there cheering Tyrone on to the final whistle

Are there any Downmen that have not jumped on the Tyrone bandwagon ? 

Its one thing to support another team from your province but some of the biggest Tyrone cheerleaders on here seem to be from Down. Its quite pathetic...have ye no pride at all ?

ONeill

The 2 McMahons in the full back line? Stevie to start then? Gourley to lose out?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Frank Casey

Quote from: magickingdom on September 17, 2008, 07:05:43 PM
wasnt going to mention this (for fear of gloating) but i had a dream the other night and nicky brennan looked very embarrassed when he handed sam to paul ;D bet he wished he'd stayed quite

;D
KERRY 3:7

Tyrone Dreamer

What bout this:
J Devine
R McMenamin
Joe McMahon
Justy McMahin
D Harte
C Gormley
P Jordan
E McGinley
S Cavanagh
B Dooher
B McGuigan
R Mellon
C McCullagh
S O'Neill
T McGuigan

It  would be some gamble to start O'Neill - dont even know if Harte would chance it. Might be more realistic for Cavanagh to be full forward and Holmes/Hughes or Mellon midfield. He might have his mind made up that Joe McMahon is best deployed at half forward and Gourley is a better option in full back line. Even at this stage of year the team selection in pretty unpredictable.

tyssam5

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 17, 2008, 09:05:32 PM
QuoteI'm a Down man who will be there cheering Tyrone on to the final whistle

Are there any Downmen that have not jumped on the Tyrone bandwagon ? 

Its one thing to support another team from your province but some of the biggest Tyrone cheerleaders on here seem to be from Down. Its quite pathetic...have ye no pride at all ?

Where's the love Mikey? Where's the love? We should all be celebrating together as we prepare for the biggest occasion in the sporting calendar!!!

thewobbler

I think he'll name this:

1. Devine
2. McMenamim
3. Justin McMahon
4. Gourley
5. Harte
6. Gormley
7. Jordan
8. Hughes
9. McGinley
10. Dooher
11. B McGuigan
12. Joe McMahon
13. McCullagh
14. Cavanagh
15. T McGuigan

And the switch straighaway will involve Gormley going to full-back on Donaghy, McMahon moving over to mark Walsh, and Gourley going to CHB. I imagine Hub and Cavanagh will do a bit of switching around during the game, and that McCullagh won't spent a whole big amount of time in the corner.

Mickeys beard

Anyone else starting to suffer from article overload?  After reading a plethora of Tyrone Kerry articles this past few weeks, I've had enough-just can't take any more cliches, suppositions, etc.  I think almost every angle has been covered, yet, no-one will be able to predict exactly what will happen this Sunday when the whistle is blown.  That's the beauty of this game, that's what's exciting.  I went to Austin stacks earlier this year and hand on my heart thought that I had never saw two teams play a more honest game of league football-it was a pleasure and it stood testament to the mutual respect that Kerry and Tyrone have for each other.  A good, tough, clean game, a privelage to watch.  Will look forward to Up for the Match which captures the real spirit of the All-Ireland final-no twisted bickering, a bit of light hearted slaggin and a crowd of excited people from two different parts of the country celebrating the day ahead.  I hope both Kerry and Tyrone fans enjoy the game  (almost) equally!  Roll on Sunday   (Damn-another article!)
Boil the Drawers!

johnpower

I agree 100 % with you . Safe trip to every one and enjoy the weekend

Tyrones own

Quote from: thewobbler on September 17, 2008, 10:06:59 PM
I think he'll name this:

1. Devine
2. McMenamim
3. Justin McMahon
4. Gourley
5. Harte
6. Gormley
7. Jordan
8. Hughes Mellon
9. McGinley
10. Dooher
11. B McGuigan
12. Joe McMahon
13. McCullagh
14. Cavanagh
15. T McGuigan

And the switch straighaway will involve Gormley going to full-back on Donaghy, McMahon moving over to mark Walsh, and Gourley going to CHB. I imagine Hub and Cavanagh will do a bit of switching around during the game, and that McCullagh won't spent a whole big amount of time in the corner.

I think that's the team alright maybe with the exception of Mellon along side McGinley if he's fit to go,
I do expect to see a lot of tactical switches going on in the first 10 mins, a big test for Pat O'Shea,
this one might well come down to the calls made on the line
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

offtheground

How many subs (not including blood subs) can you make in senior chamionship football?