Tyrone v Kerry All Ireland Final 2008

Started by Seany, August 31, 2008, 08:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

MoM will be Plunkett Donaghy. I hear he's making a comeback for the game.
Testing Accessibility

cadhlancian

Quote from: ONeill on September 09, 2008, 07:52:08 PM
Hard to know when your sources are accurate but I heard O'Neill scored 0-8 at the weekend in a 'challenge' game for the county.
tyrone and Mickey Harte dont do challenge games :P

Zapatista

Great news everyone!! Donaghey will probably be fit!!! The radio where reporting this morning that he will be able to play. They didn't mention anyone else so we can only assume they are all doubtfull.

Over the Bar

Quote1-5 in an in-house match on saturday

They played 15 v 15 panelists.  Stevie chalked up 1-5 without breaking sweat turning Conor Gormley inside out and Riceys beard fell off with heat exhaustion.

orangeman

There was a vapour trail left by Stevie and anyone who came in contact with it got their hair all synged !!!  ;) :D

Fuzzman

If Stevie is as fit, as hungry and as sharp as all the rumours I've heard then will it be hard for Mickey not to start him

I think poor Star is gonna have a hard day at the office as to be fair to them he's their best player now I think this year and his constant whinging at the Ref could be perceived as a weakness.

With gentlemen like Ricey, Gormley & even Dooher getting in his face a little I think we could see poor Star blowing his top and could see the red mist descend on the man with red hand blood. I think it could be all too much for him as he'll not have come up against this intensity before and he certainly didn't seem to like it v Cork.

I think the Ref needs to be strong and ever questioning of his decision should be punishable immediately with 20 yds.

I just hope he doesn't do what he did against Armagh 2 years ago when he responds with a great catch and goal but I think Justy could be tailor made for Donaghy with a few others helping him I think.

orangeman

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 10, 2008, 10:49:59 AM
If Stevie is as fit, as hungry and as sharp as all the rumours I've heard then will it be hard for Mickey not to start him
I think poor Star is gonna have a hard day at the office as to be fair to them he's their best player now I think this year and his constant whinging at the Ref could be perceived as a weakness.

With gentlemen like Ricey, Gormley & even Dooher getting in his face a little I think we could see poor Star blowing his top and could see the red mist descend on the man with red hand blood. I think it could be all too much for him as he'll not have come up against this intensity before and he certainly didn't seem to like it v Cork.

I think the Ref needs to be strong and ever questioning of his decision should be punishable immediately with 20 yds.

I just hope he doesn't do what he did against Armagh 2 years ago when he responds with a great catch and goal but I think Justy could be tailor made for Donaghy with a few others helping him I think.

Can't see him starting but time will tell.

Jinxy

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 09, 2008, 08:04:56 PM
Donaghy has not trained since the semi final and is a major doubt at the moment, hopefully he will come through. Paul Galvin game through training but was rusty at times but scored a few points, the referee at one stage dropped his whistle and Galvin the reformed man picked it up for him.

Seems the Kerry B team lined out in Tyrone Jerseys last night in a full match with the A team and Tomas O'Se was seen leaving Killarney with shreds of one of them hanging off him. The B team won by 5 points though.

Things are not looking good in the Kingdom.

My Yerra-detector just exploded.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

tyssam5

Well lads I think we're all agreed that Kerry have vastly the more skillful players and should win this handily enough. However, maybe Tyrone have one chance in that Kerry this year have shown tendencies towards wanting to 'beat themselves'? Giving away big leads, lads getting themselves sent off stupidly, surrounding the referee in a Roy Keane/Man United type fashion? Is the 3-in-a-row hype too much pressure for this current crop or was the bad manners just a Cork/Kerry thing?

Maybe if Tyrone can somehow hang-on to the coat-tails of the great Kingdom for a considerable portion of the match, things are tight and the referee has the temerity to give Tyrone a few decisions, will we get to see how Maurice Deegan responds to the hair-dryer treatment from O'Sullivan/Donaghy et al?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Any other manager and perhaps you've had a point. But MH, Stevie, and the majority of the first team have been together from Minor right up through U21 to Senior, and have probably had to deal with more team trauma (Minor & Senior) than perhaps any other group of players in recent memory, and more than I'd wish on any team. MH and the team will know best, I'm absolutely sure of that.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

Mid louth - Id like you to meet your arse. Maybe you can introduce him to your elbow, and from now on you might know the difference between the two

Puckoon

You want defintive answers about the collective thoughts of 31 players?

You have already assumed (and defended said assumption) on the other side of the arguement. Who is more right or wrong? I have followed this panel since I was only a cub myself, immersed in the PaulMcGirr tragedy, the 97 AIF loss, and the 98 victory. Many Tyrone fans who have followed this particular group from minor level in 1997 onwards, understand through the subsequent successes, tragedies, heartbreaks and trials - what their level of unity is. Its a different animal than that found elsewhere, and we pride ourselves on it.

You liken my impression to a Barney movie - perhaps your impression then stems from some equally ridiculous analogy on the other side - a team full of individuals all fighting for themselves, no cohesion or team ethos.

Maybe thats what you have in Louth, but (as other tyrone posters will testify) - we dont believe that to be what we have in Tyrone.

There is but one reported fact I can present to you, and it is that the players unequivocally wanted SON back onto the panel.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteYou want defintive answers about the collective thoughts of 31 players?

You have already assumed (and defended said assumption) on the other side of the arguement. Who is more right or wrong? I have followed this panel since I was only a cub myself, immersed in the PaulMcGirr tragedy, the 97 AIF loss, and the 98 victory. Many Tyrone fans who have followed this particular group from minor level in 1997 onwards, understand through the subsequent successes, tragedies, heartbreaks and trials - what their level of unity is. Its a different animal than that found elsewhere, and we pride ourselves on it.

You liken my impression to a Barney movie - perhaps your impression then stems from some equally ridiculous analogy on the other side - a team full of individuals all fighting for themselves, no cohesion or team ethos.

Maybe thats what you have in Louth, but (as other tyrone posters will testify) - we dont believe that to be what we have in Tyrone.

There is but one reported fact I can present to you, and it is that the players unequivocally wanted SON back onto the panel.

Nobody, including you, know what truly goes on in the minds of the Tyrone players. Players like Mulligan realize how quickly you can go from being the number 1 guy to being on the margins and he will realize how precious playing in an AI final is and how  it is possible that this could be his last chance. Ditto for some of the other players who rank around 18-20.

Whether it will have a big factor to play in the final remains to be seen but this talk of a mythically unified squad with no dissenting voices is naive. Any player who is perfectly happy with seeing his chances of playing reduced greatly is a player that shouldnt be on the squad in the first place as he obviously doesn't have the hunger required. 

time ticking away

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on September 10, 2008, 09:11:32 PM

Nobody, including you, know what truly goes on in the minds of the Tyrone players. Players like Mulligan realize how quickly you can go from being the number 1 guy to being on the margins and he will realize how precious playing in an AI final is and how  it is possible that this could be his last chance. Ditto for some of the other players who rank around 18-20.

Whether it will have a big factor to play in the final remains to be seen but this talk of a mythically unified squad with no dissenting voices is naive. Any player who is perfectly happy with seeing his chances of playing reduced greatly is a player that shouldnt be on the squad in the first place as he obviously doesn't have the hunger required. 
[/b][/i]
Now thats seems a bit strange. A Kerryman saying Tyrone players dont have the hunger. Have these two teams not met before in the recent past
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Puckoon

Hands up Mike Sheehy - you are correct!
No denying, ommission from a team is a double edged sword - but when you are part of a team - you take your medicine. Otherwise you are as useless to the team as you or me are. If mulligan lost form, Mulgrew lost form, none of them can have any complaints. If mulligans chief worry is whether he plays in an AIF final again, it is useless to the team. Anyone can see that. If his chief concern is getting a third AIF title to Tyrone - he will be happy to do his managers bidding (while at the same time having some personal dissapointment). I'm pretty sure I already alluded to the fact that having a player on the team who wasn't personally disappointed not to play, is also no good for a team. There is a difference in dissapointment and dissent.

I guess thats the crux of management that neither you, nor I, nor mid louth can perfect - Man management.