McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wee Roddy

Tyrone looked a lot leaner and generally in better shape than Fermanagh last night. Are they that much ahead fitness wise or does the modern day jersey design now determine how fit a player looks?
It looks as if Mickey is going to stick with Justy at FB and the defence looks a lot more solid with Gormley at centre half. Stevie and Penrose are going to cause bother this year. Penrose makes some super runs and Stevie had it upstairs to find the space Penrose vacates.

ziggysego

The Barrett Sports Lighting Dr McKenna Cup Final between Donegal and Tyrone will take place on Saturday 30th January at 7.00pm in Brewster Park, Enniskillen.

Ulster GAA @ Facebook
Testing Accessibility

goal and a point

how did mcgurk play - always thought he was a very steady club player

supersarsfields

Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2010, 02:04:39 AM
Quote from: western exile on January 27, 2010, 08:51:58 PM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on January 27, 2010, 08:42:27 PM
Quote from: fan01 on January 27, 2010, 08:40:39 PM
highland radio has the donegal v down game on. http://www.highlandradio.com/listen-live/

Thanks

Hilarious biased commentary  ;D

Its a Donegal station broadcasting for a Donegal audience. Of course they're shouting for Donegal! They never claim otherwise. Doesn't mean they don't criticize the Donegal players or team. I see one or two comments about McHugh apparently disliking Down (normally its Tyrone lads I think do be complaining! I have to say though, I have never noticed him with any bias or grudge towards any opposition county on Highland - he normally holds Tyrone, at least, up as the example we should be aspiring towards). And he never holds back when Donegal are shite or due criticism!

I have to say I always feel he's very negative regarding the standard of play alot of the time ( Not just Tyrone for that matter) Just think he concentrates on the mistakes, poor performances etc more than any other pundit and can be very quick to run down the standard of play.

Rois

TG4 appear to be broadcasting live from 7.15 - does that mean they'll miss a bit if the match starts at 7? 

supersarsfields

It could be delayed start on TG4 Rois. I think they've done that befoe.

RMDrive

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 28, 2010, 10:02:20 AM
highland radio has the donegal v down game on. http://www.highlandradio.com/listen-live/

Thanks

Its a Donegal station broadcasting for a Donegal audience. Of course they're shouting for Donegal! They never claim otherwise. Doesn't mean they don't criticize the Donegal players or team. I see one or two comments about McHugh apparently disliking Down (normally its Tyrone lads I think do be complaining! I have to say though, I have never noticed him with any bias or grudge towards any opposition county on Highland - he normally holds Tyrone, at least, up as the example we should be aspiring towards). And he never holds back when Donegal are shite or due criticism!

I have to say I always feel he's very negative regarding the standard of play alot of the time ( Not just Tyrone for that matter) Just think he concentrates on the mistakes, poor performances etc more than any other pundit and can be very quick to run down the standard of play.

Yeah, he's the Ray Houghton of GAA commentary. All commentators like that annoy my head. You'd swear they never made a mistake when they played themselves.
As J70 said though, I've always found his criticism to be evenly distributed.

tyrone86

Quote from: goal and a point on January 28, 2010, 09:44:45 AM

Never gave wylie a sniff of it and broke out of defence a few times. We haven't really seen enough of him to see who he is going to dislodge on the panel. Personally, I'd like to see how he'd do on Murphy or McFadden on Saturday night - he has all the right attributes for the job and he deserves a proper chance.

tyrone86

Quote from: Rois on January 28, 2010, 10:13:41 AM
TG4 appear to be broadcasting live from 7.15 - does that mean they'll miss a bit if the match starts at 7?
Quote from: supersarsfields on January 28, 2010, 10:16:07 AM
It could be delayed start on TG4 Rois. I think they've done that befoe.

From the Ulster Council Website:

Donegal    Tyrone    Brewster Park Enniskillen Ferm   30/01/2010   19:30   Jimmy McKee      

Club Rossa

McGurk had a good game last night,has been impressive any time i see him playing for Carrickmore.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: RMDrive on January 28, 2010, 11:04:43 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on January 28, 2010, 10:02:20 AM

Thanks

Yeah, he's the Ray Houghton of GAA commentary. All commentators like that annoy my head. You'd swear they never made a mistake when they played themselves.
As J70 said though, I've always found his criticism to be evenly distributed.
He gave Donegal fierce criticism last Sat night during the St Mary's game too and makes constant refererence to the 'Tyrone Way' in schools, underage structures etc.
Highland provide excellent coverage though of GAA at all levels, a bit of partisan commentary is a laugh.

Trevor Hill

You would think to hear McHugh last night that Donegal were winning All Irelands on a regular basis, while Down had only one measly title.  ::) His comment that Down couldn't tackle a fish supper is wearing a bit thin now and was thread bare when he borrowed it from someone else. Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh he isn't.

offthefence

Quote from: tyrone86 on January 28, 2010, 11:24:09 AM
Quote from: goal and a point on January 28, 2010, 09:44:45 AM

Never gave wylie a sniff of it and broke out of defence a few times. We haven't really seen enough of him to see who he is going to dislodge on the panel. Personally, I'd like to see how he'd do on Murphy or McFadden on Saturday night - he has all the right attributes for the job and he deserves a proper chance.

just a note mcgurk is still recovering from a knee injury as far as i know and the fitness would not be there as yet but when fully fit he is as good as whats there at the minute and didnt look out of place last night being only 50% fit. 

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Tyrone comfortably overcame a lacklusture Fermanagh last night with a threatening forward line showing great promise. The Fermanagh goal which ended the game left the score suggesting hammering rather than a 15 point slaughter.

Tyrone's forwards were active and fairly clinical with only one wide towards the end of the 1st half (correct me if i'm wrong). The half forward line of Coney, Tommy Mc Guigan and Peter Harte were impressive. Tommy getting MOTM was I suppose inevitable given his score tally, but I think certain players were arguably more impressive, although Tommy scored two really excellent points from play in the 1st half and made himself available for a good number of Curren's kick outs along the right flank.
Peter Harte and Coney look at ease in the senior set up, Harte converted a couple of good points and is excellent in making himself available for the ball. Coney showed great power and prowess, he can only get better playing alongside complete players such as SON.
Aiden Cassidy is now completely at ease in the senior set up, he was very impressive last night with high fielding and surging forward runs. Curren (with the new rules making all kick outs from the same spot) was able to find him in the middle almost without fail, and he made plenty of clean catches. Curren's kickouts were also notworthy for their accuracy. I was surprised to read The Herald today highlighting McGinley's performance. I actually thought he was below par and very average.
Justy was very solid at the back as usual, Swift I felt struggled a bit with his man in a night were there were so many great performances, being average wasn't enough. McGurk had little to do in the first half, but made himself available on occassion especially in the second half for upfield runs. He didn't look completely comfortable and is running out of time to fulfill his potential in a Tyrone shirt.
Carlin was like a rabid dog marking his man, showing great hunger for every ball and excelling in man marking. Gormley showed his usual feverent aggression in defending, earning himself a yellow card. Joey gave a good account, cleaning up split balls and almost playing a midfield sweeper role, he also converted a fine 1st half 45.
SON as usual was outstanding, tirelessly tearing the defense apart whether he had the ball or not. Penrose also played very well, making himself a taget for both high and low balls scoring 2 from play, one of which looked an impossible angle. He put in a massive effort which Gareth Devlin tried to replicate, but couldn't. His eagerness to impress didn't convert into a performance and with such an unbelievable standard of forwards, he was the only starting forward who didn't score.

With such competition for places and such high standard only Peter Harte and Coney look like the real deal IMO, but that is not to say a few more prospects won't slip into the senior set up for some of the driftwood.

Curren: 8.5
Mc Gurk: 6
Justy: 8
Swift: 6
Carlin: 7.5
Gormley: 7
Joe: 7
Cassidy: 9
Mc Ginley: 6.5
Coney: 8
Tommy: 8.5
P Harte: 8
Penrose: 8
SON: 8.5
Devlin: 6

Subs:
Niall Mc Kenna: 7
Gavin Teague: 6
O'Neill: 6
Both Donnelly's not on long enough to rate.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add, Tyrone hit the cross bar at least three times. This game could have been won by 20 points, but we'll not complain with 21 scores.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Norf Tyrone

I see a Tyrone man played against them last night for Fermanagh, and another one will face them for Donegal on Saturday.

That's every game this year (Bar Cavan) that there has been a Tyrone man in the opposition line up!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone