So why isn't Dara O Sé eligible...................

Started by ríochtciarraí, August 29, 2008, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG

The only reason that O'Connor got off was because of the reaction to the slap by the kerry man. If he would have satyed on his feet it would have been a yellow at best and the game could have carried, but because he did the dying swan act the powers that be had to be seen to stamp out this kind of play acting by letting O'Connor off.

IMO this is correct decision and O'Mahony should take a look at himself, I know these are split second things but they can have serious consequences and Im glad for once the Committee have seen sense and over ruled this suspension.

orangeman

Quote from: NAG on August 29, 2008, 02:45:56 PM
The only reason that O'Connor got off was because of the reaction to the slap by the kerry man. If he would have satyed on his feet it would have been a yellow at best and the game could have carried, but because he did the dying swan act the powers that be had to be seen to stamp out this kind of play acting by letting O'Connor off.

IMO this is correct decision and O'Mahony should take a look at himself, I know these are split second things but they can have serious consequences and Im glad for once the Committee have seen sense and over ruled this suspension.

Where do you draw the line ? Should the Westmeath player who hit Dooher in the stomach got off as well ?

orangeman

Billys Boots

QuotePersonally, I hope he goes out on a high ( but not at Tyrone's expense ) ! 

Does this mean you're cheering for Wexford?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

orangeman

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 29, 2008, 02:55:45 PM
QuotePersonally, I hope he goes out on a high ( but not at Tyrone's expense ) ! 

Does this mean you're cheering for Wexford?

Definitely !  ;)

magickingdom

Kerry chair baffled by decision

KERRY COUNTY board chairman Jerome Conway admitted to being mystified at the turn of events that has seen the Central Hearings Committee (CHC) give Cork's Donnacha O'Connor the go-ahead to play in Sunday's All-Ireland football semi-final replay.

Speaking on Radio Kerry, Conway said: "While I was not privy to what went on at the hearing nor had I any right to be there - we are all bound by the Official Guide - and in the Official Guide it says that a Category II offence, which is punishable by a four-week suspension, includes striking or attempting to strike with the hand.

"Now it was clear for all to see that Aidan O'Mahony was struck with the hand on Sunday last and the degree of force has nothing at all to do with it. It would equally appear that the hearings committee has taken upon itself to define the levels of striking and would appear to be saying that striking with the open hand is not a Category II offence.

"I would say that as striking with the hand is defined as a Category II offence and if the CHC has disagreed with this then this is a very dangerous precedent and secondly I would say that it is not within their remit as that would be the remit of Central Council, I would imagine.

"This must be very confusing for referees this evening who are going out to referee local games because are they now to believe that striking with an open hand is not a Category II offence and doesn't deserve a red card."

Conway went on to ask that someone of appropriate seniority within the GAA, such as the president Nickey Brennan, clarify to administrators in Kerry and elsewhere how this decision was reached. "We need someone from the highest level to clarify for all of us - administrators, players and referees: is striking with the open hand to the face of a player a Category II offence which will result in a penalty of four weeks. We need that clarified at the highest level to clear up the confusion."

The chair also confirmed that Kerry centrefielder Darragh Ó Sé did not look for a personal hearing and he hit out at what he termed "the vilification of Aidan O'Mahony in certain sections of the media" while totally ignoring the player who struck him with an open hand.

© 2008 The Irish Times

the system has become a joke..

tyssam5

Good on him, that's up there with Sean Walsh on the whinging front! Great to see traditional Kerry values being upheld.
If he'd any dignity he'd have kept quiet about the thing.

paddypastit

Sorry folks but no matter how wrong Aidan O'Mahony's dive was, and it was very wrong, that is not just cause under any circumstances for the over turning of a red card.  He struck.  That is a red card ofence.  The referee was completely correct. End of.  The CHC has erred with making a 'political' decision, as was the case - albeit by a different committee (the CCC) in the Collie Moran case following the public attention on that incident.  In both cases the committes involved have undermined the referee in question.  I would be among those that thought that the refereee the last day was poor but a strike is a strike and if you start deciding that one is OK and another is not then there is no basis for sending anybody off.  It is because of decisions like this that the disciplinary procedures of the GAA are in disrepute.  The Marc O'Se and Dan Gordon incidents were clearly situations where the foul that the referee though took place could clearly be proven not to have but TV evidence in this case shows a stone wall strike.  I would agree with there being some basis for punishing playacting / diving or more clarly cheating particularly of the type that we have seen this year from Clancy, Roper and O'Mahony but letting off a striker for an exagerated response is not the way to go.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Puckoon

Its a real slap in the face for the GAA. Why cant people learn to turn the other cheek.

Yes I Would

Your right. Your ranting smacks of inconsistency!!

Datsun Donaghy

Poor cynical Dara - loved by no-one, just like Kerry who play the beautiful game more cynically than anyone else!!!!!!!!!

jodyb

Quote from: hardstation on August 30, 2008, 12:17:38 AM
Slap it up Kerry. It's getting out of hand. It's close to the knuckle but you'd need to have a bare-faced cheek to palm this off as a sending off. People have the right to finger O'Mahony for what he did. He thinks he's as hard as nails. He'd need to catch a grip. Take it on the jaw. There's no way he can save face on this one. Chins up Kerry. Maybe a back hander was given to someone though. Thumbs up to the GAA.
I can't think of anymore.
:D :D Very good HS, love it!!
In all seriousness, O'Mahony does like to put himself about as a bit of a hard man, which makes his behaviour all the more sickening. I'm delighted O'Connor got off, rightly so. Only pity is that there's nothing in the rule book to give O'Mahony 4 weeks!!

David McKeown

Not trying to stir here but for anyone who didn't believe that to be a strike can you define exactly how hard you have to hit somebody to get banned. To continue the clichés two wrongs don't make a right and simply because there was an overreaction should not negate the month ban
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: David McKeown on August 31, 2008, 03:42:07 AM
Not trying to stir here but for anyone who didn't believe that to be a strike can you define exactly how hard you have to hit somebody to get banned. To continue the clichés two wrongs don't make a right and simply because there was an overreaction should not negate the month ban
Any form of contact can be interpreted as a "strike" if you claim that O'Connor struck O'Mahony - handshakes, jostles, pushes are all forms of off the ball strikes and I presume should be red carded?

paddypastit

CROSS POSTED

To reiterate the point I made earlier and to underline the point made by David McKeown, O'Connor struck and a strike is a strike and must thefore be punished accordingly, otherwise we are agreed that striking is allowed in the game... fine if you want that.  Most people's 'rationale' for O'Connor's card being overturned is that O'Mahony overreacted.  That is wrong and I wonder if the CHC will actually ever explain their decision.  In any case while the ref was right to dismiss O'Connor, he also had the opportunity to punish O'Mahony had he thought it through or been experienced enough to do so.  The footage clearly showed O'Mahony goading and baiting O'Connor verbally. The great O'Coamha (linesman) was close enough to that to both see and hear it so ample evidence and cause for a booking there.  O'Mahony then went to ground without due cause - I imagine there is a clause in the rules somewhere that could be used to punish that activity (and indeed similar acts of feigning injury elsewhere that we have seen this summer) and if there isn't there should be. That rule could have been used to effect a second booking and a thus, if appropriate (as would be the cdase here) a sending off. The existence and application of the option of a booking for the verbal goading of an opponent and the feigning of injury would allow for the elimination of much of the sneaky sheight that has been the subject of much criticism here in recent years
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word