So why isn't Dara O Sé eligible...................

Started by ríochtciarraí, August 29, 2008, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ríochtciarraí

So why isn't Darragh Ó Sé also eligible...?

By Brendan O'Brien
MICK O'DWYER has lambasted the news that Donncha O'Connor's month-long suspension has been overturned, a decision which will allow the Cork attacker to play in Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final replay against Kerry.

O'Connor was shown a straight red card for slapping Aidan O'Mahony in the face last Sunday and, though the Kerry defender reacted theatrically, the Central Competitions Control Committee had proposed that the Corkman be handed a four-week suspension.

The Central Hearings Committee thought differently however, but the veteran coach believes they've got it badly wrong.

"It wasn't right what (O'Mahony) did and, an hour after it, he might have been sorry but he actually got a slap on the face and that is assault whether you like it or not, one way or the other.

"If you push someone it's assault in legal terms and if you have a rule for that then the rule should be carried out. Hitting a fella or punching or giving him a slap, is there a difference? Maybe there is, I don't know.

"If you get a slap it is assault and that's it, no more about it. Darragh Ó Sé should be playing on Sunday so if that's the case."

O'Connor's return to arms is an obvious boost for Conor Counihan given the Ballydesmond man was the only one of the coach's starting forwards who did himself justice last week in scoring four points, two of them from play.

His reprieve is all the more significant given the fact that Kerry will, as O'Dwyer intimated, be without Darragh Ó Sé whose own four-week ban was never likely to be rescinded given the nature of his offence five days ago.

"He's a massive loss," O'Dwyer explained. "He's been the general and the top player on that team for the past 12 years. For the first 25 minutes the last day against Cork he was outstanding. He caught some wonderful balls and delivered the ball very well. He's going to be a massive loss.

"They'll have to re-jig their team the next day so it's there to be won. Cork have the edge after that display. Now they're in a position that they have another chance and with Darragh not being there it'll make a big difference in the centre of the field."

Like everyone else, O'Dwyer still seems to be coming to terms with what happened in Croke Park last Sunday when Kerry somehow let slip an eight-point lead with three minutes of normal time to play.

He acknowledges that Cork had 'previous' in that regard, performing Lazarus acts earlier on in the year against Limerick and Kerry in the Munster Championship, but last Sunday's comeback took their powers of recovery to a whole new level.

"It's incomprehensible, I just can't understand what actually happened but Kerry thought they had it and were home and dry. Even the supporters, Cork and Kerry, they all thought the same because big numbers of them were down the M50 going home.

"Next thing Cork got two goals and drew the game and, coming off the pitch, I would have preferred to be in the Cork dressing room than the Kerry one."

Three times now Kerry have squandered eight-point advantages this season although Pat O'Shea shrugged off the suggestion that such a damning statistic was a source of concern in the aftermath of the drawn game.

The full-back line has been tagged as one weak link this year but O'Dwyer felt that particular unit performed well last Sunday and he gave special mention to Tommy Griffin was parachuted in to the number three jersey.

"He played (Michael) Cussen exceptionally well but there's some looseness in there and there's some scores being taken off them. They'll have to start thinking about playing more defensively instead of attacking. I'd say that'll be brought home to them in training this week.

"This is a Cork team that is going to put it up to Kerry and there won't be much in it. It's going to be a very close one, there won't be eight points in it with five minutes to go the next day. It'll be close."

Should Kerry prevail, it would leave them within 70 minutes of the county's first three-in-a-row since O'Dwyer himself managed the feat as coach back in 1986 but the route towards the hat-trick has been altered.

Should Kerry claim this year's All-Ireland it will be the second time in the last three years that they have done so without having first won the Munster Championship. Would that tarnish the achievement?

"It's great that they did it through the back door. I was with a county (Wicklow) and we weren't allowed through the back door.

"A number of teams have done it, Galway have done it, Kerry have done it coming through the back door and Tyrone are a team that could do it again this year.

"It should be knockout and our games shouldn't be about generating money. The only thing about it is it generates great interest, the back door, we get plenty of television coverage out of it and that's good for our game and that's most important." 

thebandit

orangeman

What is Micko on ?

I know he doesn't drink but to say that just cos O'Connor got off, then Dara should as well, is stretching it more than a bit.

his holiness nb

Again being anal with the rulebook to suit ones own agenda.

Theres a huge difference between a light tap on the cheek, with obviously no malice intended, and a punch like O'Se threw. The rulebook needs to be changed if it says otherwise.

All the "technacally its a strike" or "assault" shite sickens my hole.

Ask me holy bollix

Denn Forever

What was the stated reason for rescinding O'Connor's red card?

Being anal, a strike is a strike is a strike.

So I do feel some sympathy for O'Se when another player in the same game gets a staight red for a stiking offence and is allowed to play in the next game. 

Does the rule book have any mention of a grading system for striking?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

orangeman

Ok  - a strike is a strike -

But blame O'Mahony !

Main Street

Quote from: ríochtciarraí on August 29, 2008, 11:44:51 AM

Sent off with a straight upright red card.
He accepted his suspension without seeking a hearing.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on August 29, 2008, 12:34:31 PM
Quote from: ríochtciarraí on August 29, 2008, 11:44:51 AM

Sent off with a straight upright red card.
He accepted his suspension without seeking a hearing.

He is a serial suspendee. His last early shower was as recently as the Munster Final. His suspensions should be multiples of the minimum.
MWWSI 2017

SuperDooperCooper

So a man who has played over 70 championship matches and only ever got sent off twice is now a serial offendee.............
Rules are rules they say and this one is hard to take especially after the Anthony Lynch red card resind in 2006.
I am glad the Kerry County board are seeking clarification on the incident.

orangeman

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 29, 2008, 01:40:54 PM
So a man who has played over 70 championship matches and only ever got sent off twice is now a serial offendee.............
Rules are rules they say and this one is hard to take especially after the Anthony Lynch red card resind in 2006.
[/b]

What is this about ?

AZOffaly

Jerome Conway is asking on what basis O'Connor got off. He's basically asking for clarification on what happened at the meeting.

dodgy umpire

he could well be gettin off to punish the dive by o mahony
The Boys in Red and Black are back

AZOffaly

I think that's what Conway wants the GAA to clarify.

muppet

Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 29, 2008, 01:40:54 PM

I'm including his club record, but then the Kerry County Board haven't covered themsleves in glory there either have they?
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Dara would be considered as one of the best footballers of his generation and would not be considered a dirty player - he took his punishment last week - he was sent off in the Munster final for absolutely nothing. Let's not be bringing the great entertainment he has given into question, given that this is his last year.

Personally, I hope he goes out on a high ( but not at Tyrone's expense ) !  ;)