Electricians - any out there?

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, August 27, 2008, 01:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Lads and lassies, I was wondering if any of you were employed in, or ran a Sparks business.
Have a friend looking to move to the "black north"  ;) from the worse "black Dublin", he's a spark and wants to know what the situ is up here?
Any info greatly appreciated.
Tbc....

ziggysego

The Real LaoisLad, but I heard he's dodgy at best...
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ziggysego on August 27, 2008, 01:25:21 PM
The Real LaoisLad, but I heard he's dodgy at best...

Don't believe a word of it
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Ok response not been great so far, is there anyone out there who has any contacts (family/friends) in the Sparks business in the North?
Or anyone know how the industry is doing at the minute, are there many jobs out there?
Tbc....

lfdown2

not a big pile of work, a lot travelling to england and scotland for work, plus for someone moving into to an area where they have no contacts it would be extremely difficult! a guy i know moved home after 7 years in san fran and although he still knows plenty of people they have moved on to other joiners and he is finding it extremely difficult! thats in down by the way, may be different in other parts of the 'black' north but i dont think it!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: lfdown2 on August 28, 2008, 09:56:18 AM
not a big pile of work, a lot travelling to england and scotland for work, plus for someone moving into to an area where they have no contacts it would be extremely difficult! a guy i know moved home after 7 years in san fran and although he still knows plenty of people they have moved on to other joiners and he is finding it extremely difficult! thats in down by the way, may be different in other parts of the 'black' north but i dont think it!

Thanks IFdown2, any work in the Antrim/Down/Armagh area would be good for him.
Are any of the bigger employers, builders/manufacturers/industrial etc employing at the minute?

p.s. was being tongue in cheek with the black north/dublin, on this occasion.  ;)
Tbc....

Lecale2

Nobody's hiring. More likely to be laying off.

lfdown2

as above!

bad time to be moving to the grren north!  ;D

The Real Laoislad

If he as anyway decent and not a cowboy he'll get a job anywhere
You'll Never Walk Alone.

lfdown2

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: lfdown2 on August 29, 2008, 09:39:39 AM
even if there is no work??

Don't be fooled,There will always be work..Its at a time like this the cream rises to the top
You'll Never Walk Alone.

brokencrossbar1

Father in law and brother in law are sparks.  They have work regular enough but they are known around their area.  If the lad is coming up with few contacts he might find it hard. 

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 29, 2008, 09:46:03 AM
Father in law and brother in law are sparks.  They have work regular enough but they are known around their area.  If the lad is coming up with few contacts he might find it hard. 

Yeah he'll find it hard alright bc1 but the thing is to get ahead nowadays you have to be more than a Electrician
Any Electrician worth his salt can wire a house etc but if he really wants a job in these times he should do a course on Alarm wiring or PLC's(Programmable Logic Controllers) or he should do something like Solar Panels or Energy saving like i did..
I'm sick and tired of hearing lads complaining they have no work etc,If some of them got off their holes and done something about it rather than waiting for a job to fall into their laps they would be better off.
When times were good in Ireland their wasn't enough men to do the work,so what happened was a lot of fellas became Electricians,Plasterers,Carpenters over night,Now that things have slowed down these cowboys are been weeded out and imho its for the better

btw I'm not for one minute suggesting this fella is a cowboy but in my experience there will always work for a Electrician its just a matter of doing the work to get ahead to be better than the next fella
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Boycey

I know Laoislad is an electrician so if he or anyone else can help I'd appreciate.

I run a gaming arcade and over the years the number of machines we have and sophistication of said machines as risen dramatically to the level where I wonder if the ESB supply is fit for purpose with the bill now coming in at roughly €750 per month... This morning I got a letter from ESB Networks advising me of our responsibilities as customers connected to the Electricity distribution system so I can only guess its being flagged up at their end that I'm using too much electric.

It tells me that my MIC and Duos tariff group will determine my capacity charges, can I find these out for myself or is it just a ring an electrician straight away scenario? Its single phase by the way and finally if it is not fit for purpose what is the likely next step and how much will it cost??

illdecide

Quote from: Boycey on February 02, 2016, 03:49:25 PM
I know Laoislad is an electrician so if he or anyone else can help I'd appreciate.

I run a gaming arcade and over the years the number of machines we have and sophistication of said machines as risen dramatically to the level where I wonder if the ESB supply is fit for purpose with the bill now coming in at roughly €750 per month... This morning I got a letter from ESB Networks advising me of our responsibilities as customers connected to the Electricity distribution system so I can only guess its being flagged up at their end that I'm using too much electric.

It tells me that my MIC and Duos tariff group will determine my capacity charges, can I find these out for myself or is it just a ring an electrician straight away scenario? Its single phase by the way and finally if it is not fit for purpose what is the likely next step and how much will it cost??

Stick a magnet on your electric box and your bill will be £100 a month...I've never done it TBH but i hear it's quite common practice
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch