Aussie Training Camp

Started by toiletroller, August 27, 2008, 10:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whacker

Quote from: robertemmet on August 27, 2008, 01:14:47 PM
Conor Galligan (Monaghan) played in the McAnespies team to have won the Boston Championship recently, so it cant be him unless he is just home in time for the trial.

Galligan was home on Tuesday AFAIK Robert

The bandit, correct me if I'm wrong but did I see Daniel McNally there too?

Nice outfits they had on them anyway.. I'd say they would cost a few pound alright!  Liked the way parents came on and stood up for Nixon (jury is still out on him!).  They were well treated so I suppose who can blame them!

RedandGreenSniper

From independent.ie

Agent Nixon continues to dismiss talk of AFL 'talent drain'

By Liam Henry

Thursday August 28 2008

AFL agent Ricky Nixon has again attempted to play down claims that his controversial recruitment camps are designed to engineer a 'talent drain' of Ireland's best young GAA stars to play professional Australian Rules Football.

The founder of the Flying Start Recruiting and Marketing Network says the opposite is in fact the case. He did warn, however, that more camps are planned for next year.

Speaking at the climax of a two-day recruitment camp, attended by 16 of the country's rising Gaelic football stars at Breaffy in Co Mayo, Nixon reiterated his belief that greater co-operation between the GAA and AFL was needed if regulated, respectful and transparent recruiting processes are to be implemented.

"It is important for all parties that proper rules and regulations are put in place. The GAA and AFL plan to discuss the recruitment process in October and that will be positive for all involved," he said.

"There will be no massive talent drain. Good GAA players don't necessarily translate into good AFL players -- there is more to be considered than just the basic skills," he explained after spending two days putting the invited players through a litany of tests.

Representing five AFL clubs; Brisbane, St Kilda, Richmond, North Melbourne and Geelong, Nixon initially planned for 80 attendees at this week's camp but that figure fell to 16, with Kerry trio Barry John and Tommy Walsh and David Moran pulling out earlier this week due to their involvement in the All-Ireland series.

"Three players in particular contacted me but they were involved in the All-Ireland series and I told them that I did not want the camp interfering with GAA training," said Nixon, who also revealed that an open invitation has been issued to the GAA hierarchy to meet him.

"I have issued an open invitation for the GAA to come speak to me, to come and see what I do. No-one has ever said to me, face to face, that these camps are a bad idea. One county coach, who has never even spoken to me or attended my camps, has spoken out but that's his opinion and he's entitled to it," said Nixon.

"I have been pleasantly surprised by the skills on show this week and we will be back to run camps in other parts of the country but for these kids to get to the AFL it's not a simple thing and all these guys won't make an impact like Martin Clarke did. It may take three years or three minutes. There are three types of player: the one who could secure a contract in the short-term, the one who has other aspects to consider and the one a little further away who has lots of work to do. So there is no question of a talent drain."

Richmond coach Craig Cameron agreed with Nixon.

"Ours is a long-term view and not about signing players up from these camps straight away. We want to create a system for recruiting players and put the correct structures in place," he said.

Camp attendees Laois star Conor Meredith, Antrim's Conor Murray and Stefan Forker of Armagh all admitted they would consider a career in the AFL if the opportunity arose.

"I've had two weeks in Brisbane already and the chance to play professional football, to play every day, is something that appeals to me.

"This has been a great camp but there's a lot to consider -- college, family, the local club -- it would be a tough call," said Meredith, a point repeated by the other two players.

The players who attended the two day camp were:

Tomas McCann, Niall McKeever, Conor Murray (Antrim), Stefan Forker, Joe Feeney (Armagh), Kieran Nolan (Carlow), James Kielt, Niall Forrester (Derry), Colm Murney (Down), Kevin Nolan (Dublin), Conor Meredith (Laois), Dessie Mone, Daniel McNally (Monaghan), Brian Sheridan (Meath), Peter Hughes (Tyrone).
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Jinxy

Jaysus the Northern bies are falling over themselves to get on the boat! What's that all about?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JMohan

Quote from: The GAA on August 27, 2008, 01:01:52 PM

declan brennan doesn't even know much about gaelic, never mind aussie rules!

Agree fully - a second hand car salesman

Some of those players are no where near county standard let alone Oz level

I heard someone say Declan Brennan, Niall Moyna as well as Eugene Young are recruiting agents for them

orangeman

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 10:42:15 AM

I heard someone say Declan Brennan, Niall Moyna as well as Eugene Young are recruiting agents for them

Whenever you precede a sentence with that, you know it's as lie !  ;) ;)

magpie seanie

Young lads have no sense at all being made eejits of by a tool from Australia.

isourboydownyet

think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion,these training camps were happening 18 years ago,Melbourne,Carlton and hawthorn were all over here having trails with the top underage county players which Antony tohill,Niall Buckley,Colin corkery and Colin mcmenamin all when over for a year or 2 and came home and had successful county careers,only 1 or 2 will make it,the rest will return and resume there gaa careers.

JMohan

Quote from: orangeman on August 28, 2008, 10:44:08 AM

Possibly - but I'm amazed at how much information they seem to be able to get.
I heard Brolly was one too - I'm not sure about that eitehr as he'd need to be watchin alot of minor games to spot the key players - then again Derry seem to have a few pinpointed for selection
I'm not the only one who has heard about brennan
Apart from McNicholl who else has admitted to being a scout?

orangeman

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 11:05:24 AM
Quote from: orangeman on August 28, 2008, 10:44:08 AM

Possibly - but I'm amazed at how much information they seem to be able to get.
I heard Brolly was one too - I'm not sure about that eitehr as he'd need to be watchin alot of minor games to spot the key players - then again Derry seem to have a few pinpointed for selection
I'm not the only one who has heard about brennan
Apart from McNicholl who else has admitted to being a tout?

There's bound to be some in Sinn Fein and the SDLP !

Jinxy

Only recognised Brian Sheridan from Meath at the camp. I'd say Nixon would have loved to have a big name like Tommy Walsh or Donie Kingston there. Again, I have a serious suspicion he is throwing cash around to get players to attend the camp so the whole thing gets off the ground.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Bogball XV

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2008, 10:52:08 AM
Young lads have no sense at all being made eejits of by a tool from Australia.
How do you make that out?
If the gaa can't is unwilling to provide the opportunity to play at a semi-pro level, then why should the lads not go for a look at the very least.  Sure if they get the chance for a trip out there for a month or two, wouldn't that be incentive enough alone to go out to the camp.
I know that one of the Derry players father would be totally against this, but he was obviously convinced by McNicholl that this worth a look, what harm can come of this for the player?

toiletroller

Are you talkin about Kilreas prospect?

magpie seanie

QuoteHow do you make that out?

If the clubs were interested they'd approach the lads directly. The idea that this training camp makes one iota of difference is laughable. Its just a PR stunt.

JMohan

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2008, 01:03:14 PM

If the clubs were interested they'd approach the lads directly. The idea that this training camp makes one iota of difference is laughable. Its just a PR stunt.
What if the clubs mentioned don't have the money to send individual scouts over?

orangeman

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 01:08:42 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2008, 01:03:14 PM

What if the clubs mentioned don't have the money to send individual scouts over?

If they don't they're not in a good way of going !