Multimedia Player

Started by stevo-08, August 25, 2008, 01:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo-08

Quote from: Donagh on August 26, 2008, 02:01:37 PM
It doesn't have a HD output so you won't be able to view them at HD resolutions. You can play back MP3 and WAV(CDs) but not other formats such as wma, but as I mentioned that shouldn't really matter if it's not your primary method of playing back audio (the sound on your telly wouldn't come anywhere near the quality of a proper hifi system). The 5.1 refers to surround sound which will be meaningless if you just have it plugged into your telly, which presumably will only have two speakers. If you wanted to play music, without an AV receiver or amp, your best bet (compromise) would probably be to connect the video output on the drive to your telly and run the audio to your MP3 docking station (if it has an 'audio in').

Link below says it can play wma formats & has HDMI connections.
https://iomega-eu-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/iomega_eu_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=19872

I have a sony TV, DVD & surround sound system so might be able to connect the drive into the sound sound speakers to get decent audio. But anyway, my main use for this unit would be to download movies onto or rip dvds onto and connect to the tv.

Main Street

It has a hdmi connection but it can't play at hdmi resolutions.

"Iomega® ScreenPlay HD Multimedia Drive"
The HD stands for hard drive not hi def

The Popcorn is best at the price for audio, video and streaming.

stevo-08

thanks for clarifying that Main Street.

The popcorn looks like a serious piece of kit alright but doesnt seem to be too easily got in the UK or Ireland. Although there is a demo unit available from Amazon.

stevo-08

Quote from: Main Street on August 26, 2008, 10:48:49 PM
It has a hdmi connection but it can't play at hdmi resolutions.

"Iomega® ScreenPlay HD Multimedia Drive"
The HD stands for hard drive not hi def

The Popcorn is best at the price for audio, video and streaming.

Main Street, I was looking into the popcorn hour and am I right in saying that it doesnt come with its own hard drive. So I'd still have to store my movies on my laptop (or my music on my ipod) and then stream them into the popcorn hour to play. Or else buy another external drive to download my media onto and then connect into the popcorn.

If so, then Im not sure thats what im after.

Main Street

You buy your own hard drive and shove it in.
So you have to add that to the price.
Connect by usb to your computer and simply drag and drop your movie files to the popcorn hard drive.

The Divco is possibly easier to purchase as its more available retail.
It come with a bare bones price no HD.
Or with a 320gb drive,  500gb drive  etc

FarneyMan

Am currently looking at getting a media player myself for the purpose of watching downloaded movies\shows, came across this little job not bad for £80, anybody got one ?  Sounds like it would do the job if i get it along with a external usb disk ?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7977460/-/Product.html?searchstring=Western+Digital+WD+TV+HD+Media+Player&searchsource=0

gerry

seems to be a player only with no built in hard drive
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

stevo-08

I ended up going with the Iomega unit (see link in previous page). Use it for watching movies and TV shows which I've downloaded. Im very happy with it and at €150, good value in my opinion.

Dont know anything about that western digital unit but as you say, you'll also need an external USB drive to go along with it. Why do that, when you can get an all-in-one harddrive & player?

gerry

i have the same, great job
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

theskull1

Would the PS3 work as a media centre PC
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

pintsofguinness

Quote from: FarneyMan on November 18, 2008, 04:36:01 PM
Am currently looking at getting a media player myself for the purpose of watching downloaded movies\shows, came across this little job not bad for £80, anybody got one ?  Sounds like it would do the job if i get it along with a external usb disk ?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/7977460/-/Product.html?searchstring=Western+Digital+WD+TV+HD+Media+Player&searchsource=0

Have you picked up one of these yet? 
Been looking at my options for one of these drives (since I discovered I've no memory on the laptop!) and I'm leaning towards getting a external hard drive and then something like this.  It'll probably work out more expensive than those other units the lads are talking about but surely there's a benefit in that it'll allow you to keep adding to your collection?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

FarneyMan

Yep, got one about a week ago, xmas pressie from the wife !
Mighty bit of gear, very small unit and sits neatly under my LCD. Plugged it in and was up and running in seconds, its got 2 USB ports, you can plug in 2 USB disks at once and the contents of both will be displayed on screen !

Like previous posters stated it doesnt come with any hard drive but that doesnt matter to me as i've a few of them anyway.  Main reason i got was the ability to play numerous types of files and to do away with awkward laptop plugged into tv and also its ability to upscale video to HD quality, very impressed with it so far.  Highly recommended.......

PS   It doesnt come with a HDMI cable.........

An Fear Rua

Where did you buy it? How much?
Its Grim up North

pintsofguinness

They're on play.com or amazon anyway an fear.

Glad to hear that farneyman, I've a hard drive ordered and will probably get one of them lads after christmas.  Sounds a good job, cheers.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

FarneyMan