Stag weekend in Derry

Started by southdown, August 22, 2008, 02:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

I have a stag weekend coming up soon in Derry, any suggestions of where to go during the day time for pints?  United play Liverpool that day so we are going up early to watch that, what bars would be good for that?
Thanks.

Zapatista

You could check out a Baseball game apparently it's the new thing about Derry.

orangeman

Quote from: Zapatista on August 22, 2008, 02:08:45 PM
You could check out a Baseball game apparently it's the new thing about Derry.

They do one up there - it's call soft balls, hard bat  !  ;) Designed specifically for stags !

thewingedlady

Peadar O'donnells, great wee spot for a bit of day time drinking.

D4S

Funny southdown i think I will also be attending a stag do in derry within the next few weeks, manu play liverpool the same day!!! Directions to the best pubs would be good...we're staying in the 'quality' travel lodge hotel! Somewhere to lie the head is all we need ;D
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Lazer

Quote from: ziggysego on August 22, 2008, 03:17:53 PM
Pepes on the Strand Road.

I dont think Pepes is exactly the place for a stag weekend! lol
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

ziggysego

Quote from: Lazer on August 22, 2008, 03:30:48 PM
I dont think Pepes is exactly the place for a stag weekend! lol

It'll certainly clear up if marriage is the right thing for him Lazer ;)
Testing Accessibility

ExiledGael

Lot of good pubs in the one area in Derry (avoid Pepes!).
River Inn on Shipquay street (just beside guildhall) is for the football diehards, always a good atmosphere for a match. They've four different screens and access to all the dodgy channels of the day (ie if you go in on a Saturday you'll see maybe four different games on live), it's not massive though. Becketts just outside the bus depot (500 yards from River Inn) is another good spot that does a great feed too. Watched a few rugby games in there as well as the soccer, plenty of screens and more room if there's a shed load of yiz. It's a die hard Liverpool crowd in the city so beware. Lot more Chelsea fans than you'd expect too. Seen the champions league final there last year (River Inn), it was brilliant.
After the game I'd head for Paedar O'Donnell's maybe the Bound for Boston for a bit of pool.
Has been known for a few rows Derry, watch what you say!

D4S

Good man exiled gael thanks for the info!  Was in Derry on a stag 3 or 4 years ago as well but can't remember much about it, luckily no hassle that time so hopefully none this time either!  Any chance you could tell me where those good pubs are in relation to the dingy travel lodge?
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

ExiledGael

As you leave the travel lodge go left down towards the pedestrian zone. Keep straight for about 500 yards to you come to the square just outside the walls. Veer left again along front of huge Supervalue and walk towards Guildhall (can't miss it). When you meet the main road & traffic lights (100 yards) turn right under walls onto Shipquay street, River Inn is on right ten yards up (good kebab spot just inside walls too). Downeys across the road is popular too, especially at night.
When you stand outside guildhall square you'll see a huge carpark and bus depot. Becketts is just outside the bus depot. Sandinos is another (former gay) haunt that's become very popular spot this last few years for all ages and creeds, especially if you're into your music.
Paedars and the Dungloe and Bound for Boston are all along pedestrian zone.
Travellodge isn't the Georgie but it's located perfectly.

D4S

Good man exiled gael, just wanted to push this back up the page to see if we get any more info/recommendations :)

donalmac99

Quote from: southdown on August 22, 2008, 02:02:36 PM
I have a stag weekend coming up soon in Derry, any suggestions of where to go during the day time for pints?  United play Liverpool that day so we are going up early to watch that, what bars would be good for that?
Thanks.

yes, Belfast.