2008 Ulster Club Championships

Started by Our Nail Loney, August 22, 2008, 11:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: SidelineKick on December 02, 2008, 06:39:20 PM
Lets get one thing straight, Slaughtneil shit in the nest.  I was at the game in question but I cannot remember the exact incident and I am not just saying that.

I do remember the controversy after it though, was it Shane Kelly? What happened or allegedly happened again? I honestly only need my mind refreshed then I will be able to comment.

EDIT: If I remember correctly did the Slaughtneil 'keeper not drop the ball into the net that day??  Hardly a knock-on effect from the sending off.

We'll just leave the argument at that Sideline. Cross have always been renowned for their Angelicism. Remember the day in Casement when Micky Linden's teeth fellout and his mouth was left in a mess but in fairness it was francie and his fist was only slightly above the fifth rib.

SidelineKick

Wasn't his fist TFAL now you're just making stuff up.

As I said the Slaughtneil keeper dropped the ball if I remember correct so I don't see how a sending off can be to blame for that?  Slaughtneil were nowhere near as good as they thought they were anyway.

Obviously I'm not syaing Cross are the cleanest team in the game but for the most part they play good hard football (ask Martin Harney he'll know what I mean).  I found it strange myself that John McEntee actually went as far as saying "fifth rib" but what you are saying about Francie is that he punched Mickey Linden????? It was a shoulder into an oncoming Mickey Linden. A foul yes. Red card? Few refs would have given a red but probably justifiably yes.  A punch? No.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Armagh Exile

I note the linesman - Mr White from Donegal - who tried to referee the drawn game has been give the whistle on Sunday.
This is his second final in a row - what are the Ulster Council playing at?

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Armagh Exile on December 02, 2008, 08:47:20 PM
I note the linesman - Mr White from Donegal - who tried to referee the drawn game has been give the whistle on Sunday.
This is his second final in a row - what are the Ulster Council playing at?

Could be worse; it could've been the Mr White from Wexford  -- remember him -- 2003????????
"Stercus accidit"

thebandit

Any word how John Mac's appeal went tonight?

SidelineKick

Quote from: thebandit on December 02, 2008, 11:27:43 PM
Any word how John Mac's appeal went tonight?

It's tonight as far as I know.

Reported.

saffron sam2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2008, 05:45:52 PM
Tones, I genuinely don't recall what happened, I do remember it being a very bad tempered affair in both the first game and the replay.  If something like that did happen, all I know is that the ref made up for it in the replay and did the same sort of thing the other way :-\

You really have to be on the wind up there. I was at the replay and it was an absolutely scandalous challenge that resulted in the red card for the Cross player.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

SidelineKick

Saffron what happened in the first game? I was at it but can't remember.  It involved Shane Kelly if I remember correct???

Reported.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 03, 2008, 08:39:08 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2008, 05:45:52 PM
Tones, I genuinely don't recall what happened, I do remember it being a very bad tempered affair in both the first game and the replay.  If something like that did happen, all I know is that the ref made up for it in the replay and did the same sort of thing the other way :-\

You really have to be on the wind up there. I was at the replay and it was an absolutely scandalous challenge that resulted in the red card for the Cross player.

Despite what you think you saw Sam, I know better than you that the ref was wrong that day.  I know exactly what happened.

saffron sam2

I wasn't at the first game, but AFAIK Kelly got a red card for an alleged head butt. He missed the replay, but was subsequently exonerated. Weren't there stone throwing incidents in the first match as well.

Having listened to boys in work, I went down to Cross for the replay. A Cross sub (McCumiskey ??) was given a straight red. A Slaughneil defender bent down to pick up the ball and as he started to straighten up was met clean down the middle with an elbow to the head. Absolutely no question in my mind that it was a sending off offence. In fact the player in question got off very lightly with only a one month ban - I wouldn't have shed any tears if he had never been allowed back on a football pitch again.

Even with his Cross connection, for bcb1 to say that the player in question was somehow unlucky is ridiculous. Did Cross appeal the suspension?

brokencrossbar1

I'll tell you exactly what happened.  The player did pick the ball up and he was shouldered, albeit slightly frontal.  He was not struck with an elbow, as you state.  It was a booking at the most.  The refs report did not mention an elbow nor was there an appeal.  I can appreciate you saw it from the sideline and on the TV probably after it.  There was no elbow raised nor any contact of an elbow.  The player from Slaughtneil was not hit on the head, it was a frontal shoulder to the chest.

saffron sam2

I was on the stand side directly in line with the incident. I can't accept your description of what happened. If a player is coming up from lifting the ball, there is no way his chest will take the hit. The first thing in line to take the hit is his head. That's how I saw it - that's what I said on here the day after the game. I also said that the Cross player was unlucky in that he had been on and off as a blood sub about three times by then and clearly wasn't up to speed with the game.

behind the wire

i think BC1 would have a fair idea about that incident.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

corn02

corn02

Although he could be a lying fecker.  :P