2008 Ulster Club Championships

Started by Our Nail Loney, August 22, 2008, 11:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 01, 2008, 04:43:14 PM
in fairness i've heard worse than jeers coming from cross' fans over the years. Jeering happens at nearly every match, players ignore it so I don't see why it should bother anyone

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on December 01, 2008, 04:52:28 PM
as you say it happens every match and yesterday was no different,having been at the match it didnt seem any louder than usual,and from both sides and it's always a pile of young one's doing it,have never actually see a adult booing at matches although thats not to say there are a few clampets that do.

I know it happens at every match and it is something I detest. I was just saying that yesterday it seemed particuarly loud when Cross were taking kicks. Every club has the clampets as you say, still does not mean it can't be raised as a point. And I know Cross fans have come out with worse, as I said earlier in the thread they wouldn't have the best reputation.

Drumanee as sad as it is I have seen plenty of adults boo and shout abuse at kick-takers. You wonder is their heads screwed on at all.

armaghniac

Jeering at freetakers is not the most pleasant aspect of the GAA, it compares poorly with the recent Munster rugby match. But usually it arises from the crowd disagreeing with the referee and not settling down before the free is taken. Some teams are associated with jeering in other situations, at intercounty level the Dubs spring to mind. Yes the odd thicko shouts abuse at any game, some of it a total disgrace, but jeering requires a few people to do it.

QuoteThe free that was given against Cross that led up to the goal was dubious

Indeed it was, I doubt that it was any more of a lift ball than many other incidents.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Drumanee 1

Quote from: corn02 on December 01, 2008, 04:59:42 PM
in fairness i've heard worse than jeers coming from cross' fans over the years. Jeering happens at nearly every match, players ignore it so I don't see why it should bother anyone

as you say it happens every match and yesterday was no different,having been at the match it didnt seem any louder than usual,and from both sides and it's always a pile of young one's doing it,have never actually see a adult booing at matches although thats not to say there are a few clampets that do.

I know it happens at every match and it is something I detest. I was just saying that yesterday it seemed particuarly loud when Cross were taking kicks. Every club has the clampets as you say, still does not mean it can't be raised as a point. And I know Cross fans have come out with worse, as I said earlier in the thread they wouldn't have the best reputation.

Drumanee as sad as it is I have seen plenty of adults boo and shout abuse at kick-takers. You wonder is their heads screwed on at all.

did you see the recent munster v all blacks match,every time the all blacks kicked for goal the crowd were completely silent and i mean silent,unreal sportsmanship that you will never get at a gaa match,sure they cant even stay silent for our national anthem.

on another note about disipline,did you notice when the 2 cross lads were sent off?not a word from them they just walked off,no slabbering at the ref even though john mcintee was badly wronged

fitzroyalty

I would really worry if jeering affected the free-taking of AK, or McConville especially (who I'm sure has heard it all)

No one likes hearing it but it's something I don't think can be eradicated

Harold Disgracey

I'll be in London on Sunday. Anyone know of any Irish bars that might possibly show the match?

SidelineKick

Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 01, 2008, 05:31:11 PM
I would really worry if jeering affected the free-taking of AK, or McConville especially (who I'm sure has heard it all)
No one likes hearing it but it's something I don't think can be eradicated

I think thats neither here nor there to be honest.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

brokencrossbar1

As an aside to the story of the jeering free takers, I recall a story that happened at Armagh training one night.  It was back when 2 Brians were there I think, and Seamus King from Lislea was a development officer or something like that.  Oisin was practising his frees and King kind of sneaked up behind him.  Next thing Oisin heard a muffled crowd roaring behind him.  He turned around and there was King with one of the old style tape recorder, you know the kind, playing a tape with a crowd roaring and jeering.  He asked Oisin if this would help him concentrate on his frees when under pressure from the crowd.  Oisin politely gave him a few minutes and told him it made no difference and indicated that he would be better off doing something else!!!

There are gougers everywhere and unfortunately there does not seem to be anything being done about it.  The worst about it is that you often see a crowd of young ones aged 10-11 at it.  A good kick in the hole is what they need and told to learn from the freetakers rather than putting them off.

fitzroyalty

corn02

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 01, 2008, 06:07:55 PM
As an aside to the story of the jeering free takers, I recall a story that happened at Armagh training one night.  It was back when 2 Brians were there I think, and Seamus King from Lislea was a development officer or something like that.  Oisin was practising his frees and King kind of sneaked up behind him.  Next thing Oisin heard a muffled crowd roaring behind him.  He turned around and there was King with one of the old style tape recorder, you know the kind, playing a tape with a crowd roaring and jeering.  He asked Oisin if this would help him concentrate on his frees when under pressure from the crowd.  Oisin politely gave him a few minutes and told him it made no difference and indicated that he would be better off doing something else!!!

:D

Bogball XV

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on December 01, 2008, 05:25:11 PM
Quote from: corn02 on December 01, 2008, 04:59:42 PM

did you see the recent munster v all blacks match,every time the all blacks kicked for goal the crowd were completely silent and i mean silent,unreal sportsmanship that you will never get at a gaa match,sure they cant even stay silent for our national anthem.

on another note about disipline,did you notice when the 2 cross lads were sent off?not a word from them they just walked off,no slabbering at the ref even though john mcintee was badly wronged
And apparently it put off the All Blacks more than anything else, as they're used to heckling and jeering when taking a kick - seriously.  When you think about it, the heckling and jeering probably adds to the atmosphere, as does the silence I suppose - hmmm, not sure what I'm saying ???

SidelineKick

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 01, 2008, 06:25:53 PM
And apparently it put off the All Blacks more than anything else, as they're used to heckling and jeering when taking a kick - seriously.  When you think about it, the heckling and jeering probably adds to the atmosphere, as does the silence I suppose - hmmm, not sure what I'm saying ???

Come on Bog its not "live" you have time to consider your opinion!  :D
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Bogball XV

Quote from: SidelineKick on December 01, 2008, 06:28:06 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 01, 2008, 06:25:53 PM

Come on Bog its not "live" you have time to consider your opinion!  :D
Aye, fair point, thing is it's only a game and whilst i would ordinarily have been in favour of silence as being more sporting etc, do I really want to subscribe to Victorian ideals of sport and fair play?  But then do I think the antipodeans do it better?  Still can't decide, they both have their merits, as bc1 says it doesn't really put a player off anyway, so it's a wee bit irrelevant.

Mack the finger

Quote from: goh4205 on December 01, 2008, 10:38:17 AM
Quote from: SidelineKick on December 01, 2008, 10:08:05 AM
Quote from: seamusthebard on December 01, 2008, 10:04:56 AM
Anyone know why McNamee got 2nd yellow cameras didn't pick anything up so tv viewers not sure what it was for.

He should have had two  straight reds in the first half

Quite an unhelpful addition Seamus, can you answer my question please?
Sideline, he got a 2nd booking for been involved with the sub who came on to curb him & tried to rape him when he made a run for the ball, infact McNamee's short were at his knees at one stage and the linesman must have imply ed that they were both at it.  I didn't see the McEntee incident, but McNamee's was a disgrace also.

The ref's getting a lot of stick (rightly) but his job wasn't helped by the linesman standside.
I was too far away from the McEntee incident but right behind the linesman for the McNamee one.
The Ballinderry man was wrestling with him, stopping him from making any movement.
McNamee was appealing to the linesman, even as he was being dragged to the ground.
Absolute joke of a decision.

corn02

Quote from: Mack the finger on December 01, 2008, 07:21:08 PM
Quote from: goh4205 on December 01, 2008, 10:38:17 AM
Quote from: SidelineKick on December 01, 2008, 10:08:05 AM
Quote from: seamusthebard on December 01, 2008, 10:04:56 AM
Anyone know why McNamee got 2nd yellow cameras didn't pick anything up so tv viewers not sure what it was for.

He should have had two  straight reds in the first half

Quite an unhelpful addition Seamus, can you answer my question please?
Sideline, he got a 2nd booking for been involved with the sub who came on to curb him & tried to rape him when he made a run for the ball, infact McNamee's short were at his knees at one stage and the linesman must have imply ed that they were both at it.  I didn't see the McEntee incident, but McNamee's was a disgrace also.

The ref's getting a lot of stick (rightly) but his job wasn't helped by the linesman standside.
I was too far away from the McEntee incident but right behind the linesman for the McNamee one.
The Ballinderry man was wrestling with him, stopping him from making any movement.
McNamee was appealing to the linesman, even as he was being dragged to the ground.
Absolute joke of a decision.

Are you Mickey Mack the finger?

Mack the finger

Are you Mickey Mack the finger?

No, Mickey Mack the finger would be a cousin from the Brague.
I'd be the town macks.