2008 Ulster Club Championships

Started by Our Nail Loney, August 22, 2008, 11:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Francie had a yellow and was ticked post yellow- next foul he was off.

Interesting game. Ballinderry were abysmal in patches and excellent in others. Why they insisted in pumping high ball into a small FF line is beyond me.

It seemed like later on Wilkinson went out the field as did McCusker and I think this was a bif help them.

Cross were playing to the edge of the rules the whole game. They were always going to get a number of players sent off the way they were playing. If that was a dive, which I suspect it was, then that boy should be ashamed. Neither McEntee is particularly dirty so I was surprised.

Ballinderry will need a lot lot more from James Conway next day out. Disappointed with him. Cross look to be too strong though. Them boys can hit and it wears teams down. You could also say Cross could get more from Oisin and TK.

Maguire01

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 30, 2008, 09:42:24 PM
Cross were playing to the edge of the rules the whole game.

If Cross were playing to the edge, then Ballinderry had fallen over the edge.

Hoof Hearted

TG4 flashed up Ronan McGuckin getting two yellows, i assume this was a mistake
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Yes I Would

Great contest. Ballinderry seemed to have the mindset from the start that they were gonna make a point of showing that they werent gonna be bullied, and this seem to distract them from playing ball. Cross were typical Cross hitting hard but more often than not fair.
Referee i thought was quite fussy, but in my opinion did not favour one side over the other. Too many yellow cards shown, although certainly wasnt the easiest game to referee and seemed to be going on advice from his colleagues.

Cross must be sick.  Once Ballinderry concentrated on the football they were quite a handful.  Muldoon was terrifc as was Devlin up front. Think they have more room for improvement and might just shade it the next day out. 

thebandit

Quote from: Orior on November 30, 2008, 08:54:14 PM

Shorty looked really out of his depth today. And whats worse, he looks like Ricky Gervaise.

Harsh on both counts :D

He's played quite well all year tbf.

INDIANA

thought it was a pretty disappointing game.I know pitches are bad but I just find Cross so negative in their approach. So much talent at their disposal and their rarely use it. They got a football lesson last year and I thought they'd learn a bit from it and come out of their shell, but still the same old negativity. Thought Balinderry were very poor, great resilience to come back. But again look at the teamsheet they have ,and thats the best they could dish up. They must 7/8 senior inter county footballers. But Cross have the northern club teams in a vice grip both mentally and physically. To beat Cross you need to play football against them, why so many teqams get drawn into a physical battle with them is beyond me. And a word of advice to Balinderry if you want to play a high ball into the full forward line, leave Muldoon in there.!Think the all-ireland is wide open based on  today.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: INDIANA on November 30, 2008, 10:51:58 PM
thought it was a pretty disappointing game.I know pitches are bad but I just find Cross so negative in their approach. So much talent at their disposal and their rarely use it. They got a football lesson last year and I thought they'd learn a bit from it and come out of their shell, but still the same old negativity. Thought Balinderry were very poor, great resilience to come back. But again look at the teamsheet they have ,and thats the best they could dish up. They must 7/8 senior inter county footballers. But Cross have the northern club teams in a vice grip both mentally and physically. To beat Cross you need to play football against them, why so many teqams get drawn into a physical battle with them is beyond me. And a word of advice to Balinderry if you want to play a high ball into the full forward line, leave Muldoon in there.!Think the all-ireland is wide open based on  today.

Would agree to some extent there, though manys a team have went out to play their "football" against Cross and have went home with their tails between their legs. This time of year with the sort of weather we have will always be suited to Cross. In the summer they can play excellent football if they want, but at this time of year they are capable of adjusting to the conditions. I watched B'derry players bouncing the ball on the greasy surface, giving hospital passes etc and they only seemed to have any fluency in the 2nd half with Muldoon at the fore for all of their attacks. B'derry would be aswell playing in low balls to their fullforwards for the replay, or at least varying instead of lumping in big high balls as 9/10 times a Cross man will win the break. In terms of football it wasn't a great spectacle but excitment was second to none

fitzroyalty

Quote from: thebandit on November 30, 2008, 10:49:52 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 30, 2008, 08:54:14 PM

Shorty looked really out of his depth today. And whats worse, he looks like Ricky Gervaise.

Harsh on both counts :D

He's played quite well all year tbf.

he was due a stinker in all honesty, has he now lost his place for the final?

Radioulster

Watched the match on TG4 and had the radio on for commentary. Had to turn off BBC as it was a fraction ahead with the action to the TV so you could see what was about to happen can anyone concur. On the referee trust me he is only happy when he is being talked about so he will have gone up the road happy tonight. Was a great game. Would like to see McEntee back in as it was fairly blatant that it wasnt a staright red. Should be a great replay. Fair play to Bderry for going to the end its never over till its over.

tonesfirstandlast

I thought that Ronan McGuckin got two yellows. Why was hge not sent off?
Also, I'm certain that Bellew got a yelloe and two ticks before he was taken off?
Thought that McEntee's elbow was very dangerous and was corectly sent off. Did he not get two yellows in the all ireland final and didn't go off.
Think Cross was the better team and will win the replay easy!

unforgiven

Quote from: thebandit on November 30, 2008, 05:54:56 PM
The Ballinderry number 11 (Conway?) should get a suspension for that. Disgraceful stuff  >:(

Typical tyrone man diving

DoYerJob Linesman

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on November 30, 2008, 11:20:01 PM
I thought that Ronan McGuckin got two yellows. Why was hge not sent off?  He didn't
Also, I'm certain that Bellew got a yelloe and two ticks before he was taken off? He didn't
Thought that McEntee's elbow was very dangerous and was corectly sent off. Did he not get two yellows in the all ireland final and didn't go off.  No
Think Cross was the better team and will win the replay easy! You could well be right, we will see.
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on November 30, 2008, 11:20:01 PM
I thought that Ronan McGuckin got two yellows. Why was hge not sent off?
Also, I'm certain that Bellew got a yelloe and two ticks before he was taken off?
Thought that McEntee's elbow was very dangerous and was corectly sent off. Did he not get two yellows in the all ireland final and didn't go off.
Think Cross was the better team and will win the replay easy!

Was McGuckin no 17? THought he got a yellow the same time McNamee got the line and was yellow carded in the dying seconds.

Also thought Cathal Short was a liability. He'd some good games in Armagh but didn't look at the races at all today. Think Murtagh'd be a far better option.

I really think this talk about Cross being negative is blown way out of proportion. They played some lovely football at times today.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

DoYerJob Linesman

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 30, 2008, 11:44:44 PM
Was McGuckin no 17? THought he got a yellow the same time McNamee got the line and was yellow carded in the dying seconds.

Obviously, I was at the game, and wondered how you all got the idea Ronan got 2 yellows.  He was number 17, but Michael Bell got booked with McNamee at the time of the sending off.  He was yellow carded towards the end though.
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

INDIANA

I had the priviledge of watching Cross in Parnell in 1999/2000 against UCC and in all-ireland finals in that era. they played terriific football. the sort you'd gladly pay to watch. I reckon that was possibly the best club team of all time. But I can't watch the current team with any great relish. So many talented players and they still resort to playing in the same plodding manner, instead of opening up and taking teams apart lwhich they are well capable of doing.
Don't know what to make of Balinderry but I don;t think they can convince themselves they are good enough to beat Cross and because of that i don't see them winning the replay.