Shell to Sea

Started by blast05, August 21, 2008, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 03, 2009, 09:19:46 AM
The following are facts muppet, we get our gas from russia & as we saw a few years ago we're at the mercy of the russians for this, any trouble out there & our gas prices go up. There is a plan to help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels but in the meantime the corrib gas provides security of supply. So it does make a difference where our gas comes from. Yes we'll pay the going rate for gas but will recoup over 40% on taxes. And the corrib site is providing, currently, hundreds of jobs to the people of north mayo, this will continue for the next few years & even once the plant is up & running will provide local employment & tertiary economy to the area. Preversely the protestors are prob giving lots of locals jobs as security men. In a time when every second person is being laid off maybe its time to look at the facts, get off ur capall mor & cop on.

The programme was indeed a tabloidesque job. But this is the first time in years where the pro-gas lobby got the same air time as the shell to sea. It was intresting that Willie Corduff's father tried to block the ESB from electrifying the area years ago. The gas is great for the Mayo region and finally these protestors are really shown for to be what they really are and sooner the gas comes a shore the better for us all.

muppet

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on June 03, 2009, 12:36:52 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 03, 2009, 09:19:46 AM
The following are facts muppet, we get our gas from russia & as we saw a few years ago we're at the mercy of the russians for this, any trouble out there & our gas prices go up. There is a plan to help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels but in the meantime the corrib gas provides security of supply. So it does make a difference where our gas comes from. Yes we'll pay the going rate for gas but will recoup over 40% on taxes. And the corrib site is providing, currently, hundreds of jobs to the people of north mayo, this will continue for the next few years & even once the plant is up & running will provide local employment & tertiary economy to the area. Preversely the protestors are prob giving lots of locals jobs as security men. In a time when every second person is being laid off maybe its time to look at the facts, get off ur capall mor & cop on.

The programme was indeed a tabloidesque job. But this is the first time in years where the pro-gas lobby got the same air time as the shell to sea. It was intresting that Willie Corduff's father tried to block the ESB from electrifying the area years ago. The gas is great for the Mayo region and finally these protestors are really shown for to be what they really are and sooner the gas comes a shore the better for us all.

Interesting in a tabloid way. That is smear campaign just like the Superintendent exclaiming that the security guards 'had to run for their lives!' and the other dope saying 'Maura Harrington has her state pension'. Whatever we think of thugs in balaclavas or the likes of Harrington comments like that are irrelevant to the debate.

Here is a fact, the gas is no greater for the Mayo region that it is for the South of France unless you are one of the 50 who get a full time job out of it. Are you one of of hoping to be one of those 50?

Here is another fact, Shell illegally seized land in Erris, sent men to jail for a total of 370 days for trying to stop them and when it was proven to be illegal not a single day was spent in jail by a Shell employee.

Here is another fact, The Gárdaí illegally tried to seize a man's land leaving him paralyzed on one side after a stroke.

They are Mayo people too and if you think that the gas has been great for those Mayo people then fair play to you, but I'd say you would need to spin it a bit better.
MWWSI 2017

ludermor

Is what Shell is doing now going to do any more damage than what Bord No Mona has done for the past 40 years?

Farrandeelin

Can't believe anybody takes a TV3 programme serious anyway... I thought that those Gardaí were pig ignorant when Maura Harrington was trying to explain her side. Then again, they're the Gardaí, nothing new there. What are those protestors so Gaeilgeoir???
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

Quote from: ludermor on June 03, 2009, 01:24:23 PM
Is what Shell is doing now going to do any more damage than what Bord No Mona has done for the past 40 years?

Bord na Mona employs 1,800 people in Ireland. It is a Semi State so any profit is either re-invested in the (Irish) company or it goes to the State as a dividend.

So far as I am aware Bord na Mona hasn't jailed any Irish citizens.
MWWSI 2017

ludermor

You are joking Farrandeelin, i really cant belive how much coverage Maura gets! She is the worst possible person to have as a public face. She is down there every single day spouting the same shite.
Would you agree with what Harnett said and how he came accross?

Gnevin

Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2009, 01:35:01 PM

Bord na Mona employs 1,800 people in Ireland. It is a Semi State so any profit is either re-invested in the (Irish) company or it goes to the State as a dividend.

Who cares . I though this was about the line being unsafe not the ownership on gas and the profits.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ludermor

The propaganda goes both ways Muppet.
Shell never jailed anyone, the courts done that, the law of the land.
I assumed when you said
Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2009, 12:35:39 PM

It will take generations for the damage that Shell did to be repaired.
]

you meant the enviromental/ecological damage? Or are you sayng if it is a semi sate body they can do whatever damage they want?
The arugment about the deal that was doen at the time is the main issue i have with this developement, in your opinion can this be renegotiated? And if not what exactly would you like done?
Maura has gone on record that she ( speaking on behalf of Sheel to Sea i assume) does not want the gas coming aboard anywhere in north mayo, refined or unrefined. Where can you go from there?

Farrendeelin
Being a teacher yourself how would you feel if one of your senior collegues spent the last 2 years of their career out playing golf or whatever cause that is what she done.

INDIANA

Quote from: Gnevin on June 03, 2009, 01:51:23 PM

Who cares . I though this was about the line being unsafe not the ownership on gas and the profits.

Exactly my reading of it Gnevin I mean what does corporate profits have to do with damaging people's health. So if Bord Na Mona was found to be damaging people's health its ok because for taxation purposes they are an Irish resident company. The logic there escapes me.
My reading of this - is a little from Column A and a little from Column B. A lot of people are happy to see foreign companies setting up here, others quite rightfully are concerned about the health issues. I wouldn't especially like a high pressure gas pipeline running through my back garden.
The problem with this issue is that the locals have allowed a bunch of dole queue lifers, tree huggers and semi republicans latch onto the issue and use it for their own purposes. As a result people now probably have entirely the wrong impression of the locals, who are quite different from the layabouts.
I like the idea of foreign companies investing here, but I can see the health concerns of the locals. Had Shell been cute about it and rehoused people nearby -probably could have saved themselves a lot of bother.

small white mayoman

Quote from: INDIANA on June 03, 2009, 02:00:01 PM
Had Shell been cute about it and rehoused people nearby they probably could have saved themselves a lot of bother.

or they could have built an offshore refinery
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Gnevin

Quote from: small white mayoman on June 03, 2009, 02:06:13 PM
Had Shell been cute about it and rehoused people nearby they probably could have saved themselves a lot of bother.

The gas would have to come on shore some where . Offshore refining is as safe as onshore refinery according to independent sources
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

small white mayoman

Quote from: Gnevin on June 03, 2009, 04:25:09 PM

The gas would have to come on shore some where . Offshore refining is as safe as onshore refinery according to independent sources

yeah the gas would have to come onshore somewhere but it would cost a damn lot more to build a refinery offshore rather than onshore
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

ludermor

Im not sure bout Gnevins statement bout it been as safe but if it is true why spend the extra money if there is no need?

Gnevin

Quote from: small white mayoman on June 03, 2009, 04:41:35 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on June 03, 2009, 04:25:09 PM

yeah the gas would have to come onshore somewhere but it would cost a damn lot more to build a refinery offshore rather than onshore
So ?

Offshore refining is as safe as onshore refinery according to independent sources

mylestheslasher

Have to say I am caught in the middle of this argument. Shell have been shown to be bullies the world over and show scant regard to anyone but their shareholders. As an engineer I have no doubt that the pipe will not blow up as huge factors of safety in pressure vessel designs would have been used - as is normal. The jobs are also important to Mayo but the fact that our governement has pissed away a natural resource is a disgrace.
One thing I am certain about is that the show on TV3 was a disgracefully biased program. You would think that no "ordinary" locals are against the pipe line. Williams put up two nut jobs as the faces of the protesters and all the calm calculating people were on the side of shell. There was no balance to the report what so ever. Apparently the real ira are also involved (as evidence we had some auld lad roaring about black and tans at security!!) as are CIRA. I'm surprised the Westies or Limerick gangs didn't get a mention too. Suer Paul never lets the big story get in the way of the sensational truth.