Shell to Sea

Started by blast05, August 21, 2008, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Good man Ronan. Taken on Saturday on the first night of the Galway ocean races of which Topaz (Shell) is a main sponsor.

ludermor

Programme on TV3 now

muppet

Paul Williams is incredibly biased.

This programme is a disgrace. 
MWWSI 2017

ludermor

While there is no doubt it is biased  what would be the main items you have issue with?
Fr Kevin Hegarty is someone i have huge respect for and he has been one of the most honest intelligent people in the area for the past 20 years.
Any comment on what Niall Harnett has to say?

muppet

Quote from: ludermor on June 02, 2009, 09:49:42 PM
While there is no doubt it is biased  what would be the main items you have issue with?
Fr Kevin Hegarty is someone i have huge respect for and he has been one of the most honest intelligent people in the area for the past 20 years.
Any comment on what Niall Harnett has to say?

He comes across as a thug. That could partially down to skilled editing or whatever but either way he isn't very likable.

MWWSI 2017

ludermor

I agree it is a tabloid programme.
If it was more balanced there would be more merit to it.

muppet

Quote from: ludermor on June 02, 2009, 09:55:41 PM
I agree it is a tabloid programme.
If it was more balanced there would be more merit to it.

It merely attacked the campaigners without ever looking at any issues.

A pathetic programme from a pathetic journalist.

I have little time for the protesters and most of their antics but a propaganda piece like that moves me much closer to them.
MWWSI 2017

gerrykeegan

not sure tv3 know the meaning of balance
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Mayo4Sam

Completely biased programme but it would madden you seeing the eijits that are out there trying to stop this.

Between the local lad underneath the lorry, the tree hugger from doohoma and that harnett.

Not one of them seems to realise what this means to an area like North Mayo, the amount of work that is being created by this is unreal, and its like the workers said, they wouldn;t be in ireland but for it. People like that harnett dont realise the hardship that people in this area have had to put up with and the difficulty there is in keeping young people in the area.
He'd want to be ran out the place and the sinners with him.
But also the security that having our own gas supply and what that means to Ireland
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 02, 2009, 11:41:05 PM
Completely biased programme but it would madden you seeing the eijits that are out there trying to stop this.

Between the local lad underneath the lorry, the tree hugger from doohoma and that harnett.

Not one of them seems to realise what this means to an area like North Mayo, the amount of work that is being created by this is unreal, and its like the workers said, they wouldn;t be in ireland but for it. People like that harnett dont realise the hardship that people in this area have had to put up with and the difficulty there is in keeping young people in the area.
He'd want to be ran out the place and the sinners with him.
But also the security that having our own gas supply and what that means to Ireland

Enough of the Shell spin.

When this is over there will be 50 jobs. It is unclear how many will go to locals.

We don't own the Gas, Shell do, we will pay market rates and in that case it doesn't matter if it comes from a cave in Afghanistan.
MWWSI 2017

ludermor

How would the government be able to renegotiate teh deal with Shell, is there a precedent?
There was a good article on the Mayo Newsletter ( i think) where they outline the deals the giv have broken with the people of ireland so why not break the deal with Shell. Not sure how realistic it is.

Mayo4Sam

The following are facts muppet, we get our gas from russia & as we saw a few years ago we're at the mercy of the russians for this, any trouble out there & our gas prices go up. There is a plan to help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels but in the meantime the corrib gas provides security of supply. So it does make a difference where our gas comes from. Yes we'll pay the going rate for gas but will recoup over 40% on taxes. And the corrib site is providing, currently, hundreds of jobs to the people of north mayo, this will continue for the next few years & even once the plant is up & running will provide local employment & tertiary economy to the area. Preversely the protestors are prob giving lots of locals jobs as security men. In a time when every second person is being laid off maybe its time to look at the facts, get off ur capall mor & cop on.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ludermor

There were fellas at home joking that Maura Harrington should be nominated as Erris Person of the Year for all the jobs she has brought to the area!

muppet

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 03, 2009, 09:19:46 AM
The following are facts muppet, we get our gas from russia & as we saw a few years ago we're at the mercy of the russians for this, any trouble out there & our gas prices go up. There is a plan to help reduce our reliance on fossil fuels but in the meantime the corrib gas provides security of supply. So it does make a difference where our gas comes from. Yes we'll pay the going rate for gas but will recoup over 40% on taxes. And the corrib site is providing, currently, hundreds of jobs to the people of north mayo, this will continue for the next few years & even once the plant is up & running will provide local employment & tertiary economy to the area. Preversely the protestors are prob giving lots of locals jobs as security men. In a time when every second person is being laid off maybe its time to look at the facts, get off ur capall mor & cop on.

The job is nearly finished. There will be 50 jobs. While 50 jobs are important in the current economic it doesn't excuse Shell's behavior and more importantly the Government who sanctioned it. It will take generations for the damage that Shell did to be repaired.

We will pay market rates and can you give me a source for your 40% tax figure. My understanding is that they will pay corporate tax only and that will be on profits only.

If Russia commit economic suicide and go ahead with a threat to cut off Europe from their gas then Corrib becomes massively significant, to Shell. Shell can sell the gas on to Europe if we don't pay the market rate. We have the same priority as Poland for Corrib gas.
MWWSI 2017