Did geezer ever study martial arts or wrestling?

Started by The Iceman, August 19, 2008, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Was just wondering if anyone knew of McGeeney doing any MMA training or wrestling or anything like that?

Was watching a highlight video of the compromised rules in 2006 and he gets into a bit of a tussle with an aussie on the ground.  McGeeney is on his back, performs a prfect sweep to side mount and executes a lovely head crank

Technique is too good to be natural so just wondered if anyone knew?

Its on the 2min 30 mark or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he-D4QIrWGk
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: The Iceman on August 19, 2008, 06:31:05 PM
Was just wondering if anyone knew of McGeeney doing any MMA training or wrestling or anything like that?

Was watching a highlight video of the compromised rules in 2006 and he gets into a bit of a tussle with an aussie on the ground.  McGeeney is on his back, performs a prfect sweep to side mount and executes a lovely head crank

Not an armagh fan but I loved it when he id that!!

Puckoon

Fine move alright by Geezer - what was Shane Ryan doing at the end there?

under the bar

McGeeney was probably he only man on the field who could dominate his opponent physically.  Just a pity he didn't get stuck into him properly.

Midman

Quote from: under the bar on August 19, 2008, 09:33:09 PM
McGeeney was probably he only man on the field who could dominate his opponent physically.  Just a pity he didn't get stuck into him properly.

One of the few who could take on the aussies physically. Does anyone know if youtube has a clip of his shoulder from the first match in Galway? I've heard it was a belter but I´ve never seen it. Oh the woes of living in foreign climes!! ;D

Niall Quinn

Yes to both - managed to get a copy of his high school schedule:

Monday - Bull Wrestling
Tuesday - Iron Eating followed by Waterboarding Session
Wednesday - Triathalon
Thursday (movie day) - Uninterupted Rocky series viewed from the rack
Friday - 12 hr Submission grappling session
Sat & Sun - Weekend wind down at Lough Derg
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

armagh leg-end

would the geezer try out for the aussie rules this year?
Ard Mhacha Abu

Uladh

Yes I Would

Am led to believe one on one wrestling was part of the Armagh camps warm ups in training. I kid you not!!

Candyman

He used to drink around the Shambles...  :D

The Iceman

Quote from: Candyman on August 19, 2008, 11:49:19 PM

He used to drink around the Shambles...  :D

think he could avoid the Candyman double leg takedown?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Onion Bag

Quote from: Yes I Would on August 19, 2008, 11:19:38 PM
Am led to believe one on one wrestling was part of the Armagh camps warm ups in training. I kid you not!!

Who led you to belive this
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

stpauls

Quote from: Midman on August 19, 2008, 09:48:31 PM
Quote from: under the bar on August 19, 2008, 09:33:09 PM

One of the few who could take on the aussies physically. Does anyone know if youtube has a clip of his shoulder from the first match in Galway? I've heard it was a belter but I´ve never seen it. Oh the woes of living in foreign climes!! ;D

it was immense, i am looking for a copy of it myself!! the aussie went in trying to assert himself on Geezer, but he just bounced off him and ended up in a heap!!

Yes I Would

Quote from: Onion Bag on August 20, 2008, 02:12:57 PM
Quote from: Yes I Would on August 19, 2008, 11:19:38 PM

Who led you to belive this

A member of previous squad.

Apparently it raises the heart rate pretty quickly without the need for running the lines or laps of a pitch. Only works when two evenly sized and weighted opponents are paired off. 
I believe it was brought in by Mc Cluskey.